We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
40 reviews
Mozzies

Hi

I know this may sound a strange question but are there loads of mozzies in Khao Lak i know some parts of the world are more prone than others, we plan to go in Feb 08

regards susie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Mozzies

There are certainly mossies but no more (and probably less in our experience) than you would expect in a tropical destination. However, they are non-malarial and an effective repellant (we used Autan Tropical) should ensure good protection. My wife is very prone to mossie bites and got three in 3 weeks and those, we think, were sand flies (don't worry there are not plagues of those either!)

germany
Level Contributor
140 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Mozzies

I have a feeling that Autan doesn't work on Asian mozzies hahaha... Just buy mozzies repellent in local supermarket. They work better according to my opinion.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Mozzies

Autan Tropical worked fine for both my wife and me. Probably the amount we put on drowned the mossies! LOL

Khao Lak
Level Contributor
126 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Mozzies

Susie:

The following info is from Americas Center for Disease Control and helps travelers be informed on all things that may make your trip more at risk. Here is some helpful info:

"Thailand: Limited risk in the areas that border Cambodia, Laos, and Burma. No risk in cities and major tourist resorts (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Phuket Island, and Ko Samui.)

Info on Malaria:

"Malaria is a serious disease transmitted to humans by the bite of an infected female Anopheles mosquito. Symptoms may include fever and flu-like illness, including chills, headache, muscle aches, and fatigue. Malaria may cause anemia and jaundice. Plasmodium falciparum infections, if not immediately treated, may cause kidney failure, coma, and death. Malaria can often be prevented by using antimalarial drugs and by using personal protection measures to prevent mosquito bites. However, in spite of all protective measures, travelers may still develop malaria.

"Malaria symptoms will occur at least 7 to 9 days after being bitten by an infected mosquito. Fever in the first week of travel in a malaria-risk area is unlikely to be malaria; however, any fever should be promptly evaluated.

"Malaria is always a serious disease and may be a deadly illness. If you become ill with a fever or flu-like illness either while traveling in a malaria-risk area or after you return home (for up to 1 year), you should seek immediate medical attention and should tell the physician your travel history."

FOR MORE COMPLETE INFO, GO TO www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/seasia.htm

Good luck and welcome to Thailand!!

Khao Lak
Level Contributor
126 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Mozzies

If you were just concerned about mozzies and not malaria, well, they're here. Plenty of them. More in the monsoon season than in the tourist season. A good repellent (I use some with at least 10% Deet, but check the risk of using Deet) will stave off those pesky pests.

February is a good month to come and there will be fewer mozzies then. Nothing like my trip to the Amazon. And they are smaller here...not like little jumbo jets.

Johnny and Roong

6. Re: Mozzies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 20:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak