We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Meridien Khao Lak -v- Ramada Khao Lak

manchester UK
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
Le Meridien Khao Lak -v- Ramada Khao Lak

This might be hard to answer as Ramada has only just opened and therefore doesn't have much feedback yet, however I will be spending a week in Khao Lak in December and am undecided over the two. We will be travelling with our three children (11, 4 and 18 months) and would like a safe hotel, nice beach, facilities for the children and within access to the restuarants other than the hotels.

can anybody help? oh and the prices are more or less the same if I was to have interconnecting rooms so that doesn't really come into it

: - )

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Meridien Khao Lak -v- Ramada Khao Lak

Hi Chris,

We have been to Le Meridien twice, April/May 2006 - at the end of a disappointing fist full High Season post tsunami; a nearly empty hotel, which had its advantages and disadvantages. And March/April this year - nearing the end of an excellent (thank goodness) second High Season, a nearly full hotel which also had its advantages and disadvantages. We rate Le Meridien very highly in every respect, though staff shortages and turnover sometimes leaves the service a little to be desired. Amazing though what a little patience, politeness and smile will do.

We are now two retirees preferring to be away from children, ours having fled the nest. However, I have to say that I think the children's facilities at Le Meridien are second to none in Khao Lak. There is a separate family wing overlooking the excellent children;s pools (one with slides and a lazy river, one a sandy lagoon with large water toys for toddlers. There is also an excellent well-supervised children's club (a very important consideration bearing in mind the tragic situation with the young lass on the Algarve!), with TVs, videos, playstations, books, toys etc.. The resort is spacious enough for couple and families to enjoy their own space, even though sometimes we wrinklies got a bit testy when kids invaded "our space"! LOL - especially the magnificent hot tub section of the main pool near the beach.

Our photos of Le Meridien and fabulous beach at:

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/3635279

We had a hire car for our there week holiday and used it, among other things, to have a look at other resorts as a future option. One which particularly impressed us was the Ramada. When it was first launched early photos gave the impression that was more a typical Ramada Motel rather than hotel. That is certainly not the case. It is a well designed, planned and built resort with excellent modern Thai furnished rooms. Great beach restaurant and bar and very nice pool but with only a small children's section. It is, in my view, better suited to couples.

Photos from this year at

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/5335443

Some more excellent photos on the first three threads on the following link:

www.mykhaolak.de/forum/board.php?boardid=169

As for location, both beaches are safe so long, of course as you supervise your kids. The sea, though that beautiful aquamarine in colour is not clear because of the tides and currents. December, though, it should be calm. Le Meridien is on what and many others think is KL's best beach, Pak Weeb, and offers excellent walks and sea-shelling in both directions. There is an excellent, simple and cheap (much cheaper than hotel) restaurant, the Rim Lay, about 200 metres along the beach and then past it and around the headland, past the Similana and just before you reach the Sarojin are another three very good beach restaurants. All of them open all day and for dinner. Dining on the beach under the stars eating examples of the best (for us) cuisine in the world is a wonderful culinary and romantic experience, getting there and back, especially in the dark (take your torch with you and/or borrow one from your room) an exciting one, especially if the tide is in and you are cut off at the headland (it's OK you just walk over it through the Similana).

Other than that there is a very nice promenade at Bang Sak outside the Haadson Resort with some nice restaurants on one side of the road and dining facing the sea on the other. 10 mins by taxi from the hotel (there is a little supermarket just outside the main gate on the highway where you can book a taxi. Other than this its a 15 min. ride in the hotel shuttle into Khao Lak(100baht per person each way INCLUDING children I think, so not cheap for a family if done frequently but you can arrange a cheaper taxi at the Rim Lay - and laundry and massage!) where there are loads of excellent restaurants, bars (family ones) and shops.

The Ramada is further South nearer to KL on Bang Niang Beach. Also a very nice beach but not as opportunistic for beach combing as Pak Weeb. Other than its hotel and those of neighbouring resorts (La Flora and Mukdara are nearest, there are a few up the road at Bang Niang township, 5 minute by taxi 20 minute walk or down the beach into KL about a 30 minute walk or 10 mins by taxi from the hotel.

In summary the Le Meridien is more remote, but that is one of its attractions and has better children's facilities. The Ramada is nearer to KL and restaurants. Tough one but overall I think Le Meridien has the edge.

Oh, nearly forgot, both have fabulous (but expensive) spas.

Don't hesitate to post for any more info.

manchester UK
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Meridien Khao Lak -v- Ramada Khao Lak

Thank you so much for a very informative reply, this really has helped in our decision - which I think is going to be Le Meridien. The only other query I have is if you know anything about Mukdara Beach and Spa Resort?

Thanks for your help

Christine

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Meridien Khao Lak -v- Ramada Khao Lak

Hi Christine,

Sorry we passed by the Mukdara en route the Ramada but didn't look around. From what we saw lt looked very nice and we were speaking to a German couple staying there who thought it was very good. They were adding a huge meeting hall/conference facility when we thereand I mean HUGE! Very Thai but a bit out of place, we thought. This is one of the areas where new construction was still most obvious. There is a plot of land adjacent to the Ramada and owned by it for the next phase of development. That could well be started or even finished at the rate they build over there in Low Season by next December!

REgards

Alan

Zurich
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Meridien Khao Lak -v- Ramada Khao Lak

Chris has written a very accurate review - we have just returned from a week at the Meridien and can not recommend it highly enough: excellent food, great kids facilities, good staff and nice rooms. I really struggle to think of something negative (and I am fairly fussy!).

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Meridien Khao Lak -v- Ramada Khao Lak

Hi

The Meridien is one of the best hotels that i have ever been to we went to it in November. We came back in December as we had 3 weeks in Thailand my hubby loved it that much he has gone back with withdrawal symptons for another 3 weeks and left me at home with the dog.

Julie

6. Re: Le Meridien Khao Lak -v- Ramada Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 19:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak