We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Exchangers

Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Money Exchangers

Just wondering if there is a preferred denomination of Australian dollar notes for exchanging in Khao Lak. I would prefer to just take $100 and $50 AUD notes with me. Also are the money exchangers on the main road all reputable or is it best to exchange notes at a bank. We are staying at the Sensimar and have noticed that there are 3 or 4 money exchangers on the main road within easy walking distance of the resort.

5 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,357 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Money Exchangers

Take 50 or 100. Same Same ,with AUD.

While I have not been to that location, I have never had any issues in Thailand with FX . banks rates are lower

Chok Dee

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
1 review
2. Re: Money Exchangers

During our two stays this year in Bang La On, we've found that the Thanachart Bank (orange livery) next to McDonald's gives the best rates.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
1 review
3. Re: Money Exchangers

Yes contrary to what John says (he is correct for most other tourist areas) in Khao Lak the best rate is from the banks (or at least it was when we were there).

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Money Exchangers

I've never had a problem exchanging at either banks or other booths. They will count out the notes for you and show you a calculator - if they don't count out (I've never had them not do it) do it yourself in front of them.

Rates vary a little bit, our last trip the best rates were at a little independent booth on the side road of the Nang Thong Supermarket. I usually just check them out on a walk and see which one is best.

AUD $50 and $100 are perfect. That is what we take.

Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Money Exchangers

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Reply to: Money Exchangers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak