We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple Khao Lak questions..........

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
140 posts
91 reviews
A couple Khao Lak questions..........

Planning our 2nd trip to Thailand haven't been there for years. We've never been to Khao Lak but it looks and sounds wonderful. Our oldest two kids are college age so won't make trip. Just my wife and I plus our 15 year old son. Trying to find best place to stay on beach that will allow all 3 of us to share room if possible. Budget about $200 U.S. dollars a night finding that most places seem to force you to get 2 adjoining rooms. We will be visiting in early April. I'll keep searching but if anyone has any ideas sure appreciate any help. So many great places to choose from.

Also wondering all of the flights that I find fly into Phuket Airport at midnight. Would it be better to stay near airport or get transport to Khao Lak in middle of night? We will be there for 9 nights so trying to figure out the smartest way to do it. Sorry for goofy questions but any help that or direction I could get would sure be appreciated. Planning is so much fun! Trip Advisor is the best!

Thank you-

17 replies to this topic
uk
Level Contributor
232 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: A couple Khao Lak questions..........

The Manithai would be a great choice. Phuket airport hotel is very cheap also very clean free airport transfers.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: A couple Khao Lak questions..........

I would not stay near the airport. I would rather go to my KL hotel. It will take about 1 1/2 hours from the airport but when you wake up you are already on holiday. You don't have to get going again. Also your room might not be available until 2 or 3 pm. I know the JW Marriott has family rooms that fit a couple of kids in. I think they will also put in another bed in the normal rooms. The pool access rooms are fantastic. You could also look at x10 and the sands. They are very family oriented.

Linda

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,898 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: A couple Khao Lak questions..........

I think with a teen you are best to stay in the busier areas which have street market type stalls where you can wander safety. Manathai is lovely but my teen would have been bored witless being stuck a taxi ride from everywhere.

X10 have a triple family room (looks like 2 double beds in the pictures but it say only 1, someone might be able to confirm), the Delux Lanai at Ramada has the option of 2 queen sized beds, The Sands also has quite a few different family rooms. All are within walking distance of shops and restaurants.

I would also not stay near the airport. You will arrive late and then have to check out in the morning. We arrived late in the evening and although a late arrival we can sleep in and wake up and our holiday has started.

United States
Level Contributor
111 posts
129 reviews
4. Re: A couple Khao Lak questions..........

Could you possibly fly into Krabi instead and arrive earlier?

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: A couple Khao Lak questions..........

hi, take a look at x10. they allow 3 people in one room. lovely hotel on lovely beach close to many bars and restaurants.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
140 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: A couple Khao Lak questions..........

You guys are awesome! Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply it is so much appreciated. I am on it now. I've always wanted to vacation in Khao Lak and can't wait. We've been to Bali several times and loved it but time to try save up our $ and try something new.

Thank you!

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,741 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: A couple Khao Lak questions..........

I am guessing you are looking at flights from Seattle, perhaps Delta or Korean, which arrive late? Have you tried flights to Bangkok, such as Eva Air, that would arrive midday, then booking a domestic flight to Phuket arriving at a better time?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: A couple Khao Lak questions..........

Definitely fly direct if you can, so much easier than changing planes. We always arrive from our Sydney direct flight between 11pm-12am and have no problems. Just book the Boss, Cheaper than hotels car service before you go and its about a 1 and a half hour ride to Khao Lak. The airport is not quiet at that hour and the Boss drivers are there picking up lots of passangers. You can book him by email cheaperkhaolak1@gmail.com or his facebook page https:/…. He will charge about 1,200 thb which is about $38 USD.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,741 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: A couple Khao Lak questions..........

meredith - There are no direct flights from the USA to Thailand, everything involves two or more flights.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
37 reviews
10. Re: A couple Khao Lak questions..........

Oh, thats a shame for you.

Reply to: A couple Khao Lak questions..........
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted