We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions, tips and advice for 1st timers?

Coventry, United...
8 posts
Questions, tips and advice for 1st timers?

Theres 2 of us going for 2 weeks in september (10-24th), ive gone through most the forums and while its quite helpful and given us a base start some of it is a few years old now or doesnt really match our circumstances.

Does anyone have any helpful tips? We are all inclusive and already prebooked all our trips so also wondering about spending money (most ive read people say 100 a day but that seems to alway include food and trips which we dont need to worry about, but i dont know how expensive souviners, taxis etc can be, and i cant haggle for beans 😂)

We're also fully prepared for it to rain a little bit but there seems to be differing accounts of the weather. Some places say itll rain for an hour or 2 but thats it, where as ive seen others say that theyve been there and its rained nonstop... whats the appropriate clothing during this time? Most sites say you still want shorts and a vest top but take a rain coat/poncho, but then in the next article ive read about how the streets are prone to flooding and for some reason i cant seem to see me walking through flood water in shorts ahd flip flops :p

We're staying in the merlin resort so quite prepared to have to spend a bit on transport with us only having the village nearby (neither of us have ever ridden a motorbike before and dont think thailand is the best place to learn). And we've already hired a private taxi to take us around phucket for the day but are we likely to seriously struggle to go anywhere without our own means of transport? Other than taxis/tuk tuks are buses easily accessible/easy to use?

We go in 4 weeks and ive been googling like crazy but always get the same advice that counteracts each other. Has anyone got any handy dandy advice for us that you wish you knew before you went?

Any help you can give will be much appreciated :)

3 replies to this topic
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Questions, tips and advice for 1st timers?

September weather is unpredictable and with October is "usually" the wettest month but "usually" sun and you can burn under the clouds so take care! The varied reports for the month underline the uncertainty from year to year. Public buses pass through Khao Lak from Phuket to Takua Pa and beyond. Just catch one on the highway. But using local taxis/song thaews gives you more flexibility and accessibility. Prices are usually shown on a board in various places where there are taxi stands.

Plenty of upto date information on this site if you haven't seen it http://www.t-globe.com/16960

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Questions, tips and advice for 1st timers?

If your are AI and pre booked any trips you want then your expenses are much reduced. Even if you have dinner included in your AI, try and get out a few nights and try the local restaurants. Budget 1000 baht for meal and drinks.

Even thought it can be wet, shorts,shirt, umbrella and thongs (flip flops ) are often the best for walking through wet streets. It only gets cold if you are wet through and don't dry off.

From the Merlin,if they don't have a shuttle bus, allow 400 baht in taxi fares to Bang La On or the market per day.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Questions, tips and advice for 1st timers?

The weather is totally unpredictable at that time of year so the people that say it rained for only a few hours a day and others that said it rained all day would both be right. You can get sun, cloud, thunder, rain then sun again all within a 10 minute period.

Pack lightweight clothing. I don't even worry about any sort of raincoat because it is still very warm and it will be like walking around in a sauna. Most hotels have umbrellas that you can borrow or you can buy a fold up one. The disposable type ponchos are handy to have in your bag when out and about.

I don't think Khao Lak gets flooded like other areas of Thailand - I've never seen it or heard of it anyway.

With transport, get the songtheows (which are plentiful) as buses don't run regularly and you can then go wherever you want.

It is a pity you are AI because the food is one of the best things about Thailand for me. Make sure you do have a couple of meals outside the hotel to try some varied cuisine and the best of Thai food.

Re money, as you have paid for pretty much everything your only costs are going to be transport and shopping. I think a few thousand baht a day would be more than sufficient. Take some cash to change and have a couple of backup cards where you can make a withdrawal at an ATM. Make sure you tell your bank that you are travelling.

Reply to: Questions, tips and advice for 1st timers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak