We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

England
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

Hi there – as a first time visitor I’ve taken time out to read the forum, reviews and great links to try and find suitable hotel for my wife and I.

We are looking for somewhere close to the beach and restaurants and bars as we like to get out and about. Don’t mind walking 10 or 15 minutes max but don’t want to be remote as we like some variety of places to eat and drink. I’ve discounted, unless advised otherwise, the likes of Khuk Kak and Patweep hotels and looking towards Bang Niang or Bang La On ……. So here is where I start to struggle.

Does Bang La On have better beech access from hotels? websites and reviews seems to indicate, and in terms of bars and restaurants does one favour the other. How do they differ? I’m stuck between the 2 but have tried to narrow down hotels to 3 in either resort area. Budget is not critical but I’ve listed those in a range I seem ok with but I could be missing an obvious choice.

Bang La On

Moracea – not sure how far out it is, good price for pool access rooms

The Sands – great offers available but looks a big commercial hotel. Not sussed on hotels that offer All Inclusive packages1

X10 – is it too far out and not and maybe more family orientated

Bang Niang

La Vela – looks like relatively new modern hotel with good options for Pool or Oceanside room. Hot sure if it’s a bit far out

La Flora – really good offers with Destimation2 on Pool rooms, not sure how old or dated the rooms are

Chongfah – great reviews and location but pricey for entry level room is there limited beach here

I would really welcome advice, thoughts, input and any other factors to help me choose a hotel. Hope I’ve given enough context and as I say I have tried to do my own research.

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

Hi, we stayed in the x10 in February. Six of us really enjoyed our stay. Well situated for bars and restaurants in bang la'on, a ten minute walk to the main road, then a right turn and all bars and restaurants are in front of you on the main road. Hotel wasn't overrun with children, they tended to keep to the pool with a slide in whilst all the adults were around the adults swim up bar and beach area. Nice and quiet of a night time when you come back from your night out. Can recommend although only down side was towel games on sun loungers

Torbay UK
Level Contributor
206 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

We were first time visitors in April, looking for similar things to yourself. We opted for La Vela, ticked all our boxes. Situated on the beach. There is a bar and a restaurant within a minute from hotel, with the main drag of Biang Niang prob about a five minute walk. Plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from.

If you go on google earth you can do a virtual walk from La Vela to surrounding areas, which will give you an idea of local area.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

Your choices meet your main criteria.

The Moracea is on Sunset Beach immediately adjacent to Nang Thong Beach, the beach down from Bang La On where most restaurants, shops and bars are located. Good beachfront location .

The Sands is at the opposite end of Nang Thong Beach again with easy access to restaurants to the right down through Bang La On.

The X10 is not much further north.

See map at https:/…202016.htm and https:/…202016.htm

La Vela is a recent resort next to the Ramada which in turn is next to the older La Flora. Good beach location and easy access to the restaurants, bars, small shops and main local market. The Chong Hah is a small very popular boutique resort elevated overlooking the beach again with good access to restaurants etc.

See map at https://www.t3x.de/khaolak/BangNiangKarte.htm

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
654 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

We have stayed at both the Chong Fah and Moracea - different ends. The Chong Fah was more exoensive, we had a beachfront room which was charming and private, luxurious. However, zero beach due to erosion. So if you like to look at the beach and not so much swim on it, then ok. One pool, smallish, at the Chong Fah. We are beach people. We preferred the eateries at that end, enjoyed the markets at Biang Nang.

The Moracea is beachfront, on a lovely beach. Lots of pools. Close to Llam Ru National Park, just a short walk away and a great spot to walk through, with a good beach. A short walk to eateries and shops but we preferred the ones up the other end.

The Chong Fah has free bikes and we biked to the waterfall nearby.

For the price, the choice of pools and for the beach, between these two, I would opt for the Moracea and take a taxi the short distance to Biang Nang when the markets are there. I have not stayed at the other hotels you mentioned, I can only directly compare these two.

Enjoy.

England
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

Thanks all. Really helpful.

Looks like I’m down to La Vela or Moracea depending on proximity to and the busier of the 2 areas for bars and restaurants?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

Not a lot of difference distance wise for restaurants etc for either resort as shown in maps. La Vela has advantage of being nearer to the main market for shopping and local food stalls.

England
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

Thanks for the advice. Looks it’s La Vela.

Anyone with tips advice or comments - all welcome.

Just off to read all the reviews 👍

Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

We are currently staying at Moracea and can highly recommend. We are in a lovely deluxe beachview villa which is spacious and private and quiet - just the sound of the waves rolling in! It is a 5 min walk into town so the location suits us perfectly. We took a walk along the beach the other day to check out other nearby resorts - we are very happy to have chosen Moracea. There seem to be plenty of other guests at the restaurant at meal times but you really wouldn't know it?

Whatever your final choice - enjoy your holiday!

Edited: 11 August 2018, 06:28
Hjorring, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

Hi There

We are also here for there first time, we are staying after a long hard job to find a good hotel, we ended up here at Sensimar Beachfront Resort, it is one the first hotels when you come Bang Le On, i don't know if you have children with you, but here you have to be 18 to stay here.

We booked a Beachhouse and it 10 meters from the beach :-)

Good food here, and very closed to the town.

Best Regards

Fam Larsen

kent
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !

Hi - how do you do this on google earth?

Reply to: First Time Visitor - Down to Last 6 Hotels - Help Please !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak