We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sands Questions

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
311 reviews
The Sands Questions

Hi

Staying at The Sands soon and heard that there are two areas that you can have breakfast but cannot choose and one is much better than the other? Thoughts/experiences?

Also what are the resort activities like? Seems to have lots of stuff going on?

Experiences with kids club?

Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: The Sands Questions

Ok, so if you are staying in the original wing you get to eat at the Floating Market restaurant which has a larger selection of assorted breakfast options.

If you have booked a room in the new Aqua wing (which are lovely) you will have to eat in the Manta ray restaurant, which is super geared up for families. Pancake making machine (yep, kids can watch the mixture being dropped onto a conveyor belt and then watch it cooking and it gets delivered onto the plate ready to eat!.....but I found there were many unhealthy choices, such as ice cream donuts and sugary cereals.

Overall, we prefer the floating market. There are great coffee machines in both (make a good latte or cap).

Resort activities....there will be a time table in your room or you can e-mail and ask for a copy. there is yoga, kick boxing classes etc. Plenty to choose from. The new water park will entertain everyone too.

Kids club, we have used the "old" kids club on previous stays and it was fine (although not all planned activities happened when scheduled). On our recent stay our son (who is 10 ) was not at all interested in going so I can't comment this time around, but only imagine it is new and improved. If Alice is still there (she was in April) she is awesome in the kids club.

Overall I'm sure you will love the Sands. We have stayed 3 times now and this last time was the best time we've had there so far.

Safe and happy travels!

Parkers

.....you've got to try the coconut jam they have it is out of this world! I tried to buy some....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: The Sands Questions

Thank you for posting the question Wanderlust_Tarrants and thank you for your detailed reply Parkers.

We are staying at The Sands in October. Our first time to Khao Lak and also Thailand. I am madly going through this forum jotting down all the recommendations.

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
311 reviews
3. Re: The Sands Questions

Thanks! Im pretty sure the coconut jam is called Kaya. Its from Malaysia. We always bring some home!!

We are also there in October. What dates are you there? We are there 3rd to 12th Oct

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: The Sands Questions

Unfortunately we won’t get a chance to meet. We will be there at the end of October, 22nd to 28th October.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: The Sands Questions

Hi everybody

We are not going to the sands until 2019 but would love to hear about experiences in and around khao lak

We have already been to phuket so will travel closer to the sands

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: The Sands Questions

Plenty of information in the Top Question FAQs on the right when you view the forum on a PC/laptop/tablet.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: The Sands Questions

Hi , we stayed at the Sands last October and took some friends who had not been to Thailand before. The hotel is fantastic and will be even better this year with the opening of the new aqua wing. We are all back this October again but staying at x10 next door to Sands. If you have kids , try Peter bar at the main street and very close to Sands. The guys in there great with kids and the food and drinks good too.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,284 posts
226 reviews
8. Re: The Sands Questions

We stayed at the Sands in June of this year via a Luxury Escapes package. The Aqua wing was closed mainly because the resort was under 30% full and the only breakfast dining was in the Floating market. We really enjoyed our stay and as part of our package we had an hours free flow cocktail hour from 7.00 - 8.00 pm. By stacking up the drinks we normally didn't leave until around 9.30. Funnily no one seemed to get drunk despite a large number of cocktails served. I think low alcohol booze was used. The water park is great for kids. Our accommodation was near the sea front so we used the pools closer to the waterfront. The staff are really friendly and helpful and as is Thai makeup extremely polite. We also like the Sands because it was walking distance to the village. We are considering going back next year if we can get a comparable Luxury escapes package

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
9. Re: The Sands Questions

We are here at the moment and only the floating market is open. We are in the aqua wing. The swim up rooms are fab.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
83 posts
110 reviews
10. Re: The Sands Questions

We are there next week and I'm so pleased I found this forum! This will be our third trip to Khao Lak but our first time to the Sands, staying in the new wing. We love the fact that we are close to town...so please...name drop the best eateries and best coffee places.

Reply to: The Sands Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak