We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much currency to take...

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
How much currency to take...

Hi. My daughter and I are spending two weeks in Khao Lak this August. Hotel gives breakfast. Any recommendations on how much cash to take with us? Want to do some cultural trips, eat lunch and dinner each evening but are not big alcohol drinkers. Have not been to Thailand before so any heads-up would be great. Thanks in advance.

13 replies to this topic
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,044 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: How much currency to take...

Everyone is different but I'll give you an idea of what we spend. 2 adults having a few cocktails a night but not a lot of alcohol. Prices for 2 people eating outside of our hotel.

For lunch 300-500 baht for a main dish each plus a fruit shake or soft drink

Dinner from 400 baht for a lot of street food at the market to 1500 for a seafood feast with 3 cocktails each. Non-thai food is more expensive so a pizza might be 300 baht per person rather than 120-200 for a Thai dish. A whole fish dish is around 400 baht. Prawns would be a bit more expensive. Our average was probably around 800.

Snacks maybe 200 baht a day (buy from supermarket)

Day trips - allow 3500 baht per person for a full day trip with a premium operator. This could be 2000 for one booked off the street. Having had a very bad cheap experience I now prefer to pay higher price for small group tours, others don't care. Up to you.

You might also allow some money for shopping. We don't spend a lot but might buy a few t-shirts or sarongs at the market and maybe some sandals etc. If you allowed 3000 baht that would be heaps for me.

We usually take Australian dollars with us as there is a better exchange rate over there. It would be similar with GBP. We take as much cash as we are comfortable carrying and keep it in our hotel safe. When that runs out we use ATM's to withdraw the maximum amount (to reduce fees) and make sure we take at least 2 cards with us that we keep separately.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 17 July 2018, 15:54
Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: How much currency to take...

That's a great help, thank you for such detailed info.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: How much currency to take...

Dining on Thai cuisine in a local restaurant a typical meal, lunch or dinner as they are basically the same menu, is about 80 -100 baht for a starter, 150 - 180 for a main, whole fish 180 - 250 baht, small beer 60 80 baht (subject to recent tax increase), large 120 - 150 baht, glass of wine 100 - 150 baht, cocktail 100 - 150 baht. International cuisine, pizzas and pasta are about same as in UK, steak varies from 450 - over 1000- baht.

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: How much currency to take...

Thank you, again so much detail is hugely appreciated.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: How much currency to take...

Hi, we were there in February for two weeks with another couple and our son and his girlfriend. We did 2 trips with Lora from Dior travel plus takua pa old town and also visited local beaches by taxi. We also helped son and girlfriend pay for a couple of days out on their own. We ate out twice a day and drunk as much as we wanted, some late nights, some not so late, and also did shopping at the market. We spent just under £2000. We could easily have spent a lot less if we were on our own and still had a great time and done what we wanted. We took English notes with us due to better exchange rate and changed at the local bank.

Have a great time

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: How much currency to take...

Thank you. It seems to be a good idea to exchange money there. I was looking at £1500 but will take a bit more, just in case. We want to do approx 4 trips - two per week. Thanks again for your detailed reply, much appreciated.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: How much currency to take...

Hi, if you take English money make sure it is clean with no rips or writing on, we had 4 twenty pound notes refused. Luckily we had taken mainly the new ten pound notes and didn't have any problems with these and would suggest if you can to take them.

For trips look up Lora at Dior travel in bang niang, lovely lady who will personalise trips for you and her prices are very good

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: How much currency to take...

Great advice, thank you. I am in the process of researching trips now, so I will take a look a your recommendation. Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
409 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: How much currency to take...

Do not feel you have to take it all in cash. The ATMs are everywhere and easy to use. My sister and I usually change $500 AUD at home then use ATMs. You don't want to be carrying around your whole budget for your holiday in cash.

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: How much currency to take...

Very true. I have decided to take a mix. By all accounts that seems to be the best option.

Thank you for your reply, really appreciated x

Reply to: How much currency to take...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak