We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak town centre

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
35 reviews
Khao Lak town centre

Is it worth going to Khao Lak town centre for lunch or a bit of souvenir shopping? We'll be staying at Robinson Club KL and so would need to get a taxi there, so wondering if it's worth the effort.

13 replies to this topic
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak town centre

Bang La On is the main town of Khao Lak with most restaurants, bars and shops. See map at https:/…202016.htm However, it is mostly quiet during the day as most people are at the beach. Dinner and shopping would be better IMO.

Bang Niang is the second largest town and has many restaurants and bars but fewer shops as it is where yoiu will find the local markets and the Tsunami Police Boat Memorial. See map at https://www.t3x.de/khaolak/BangNiangKarte.htm and information on markets at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297… Great lovcal food on the markets.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Khao Lak town centre

We have just came back first time travelling to Thailand there’s plenty of restaurants in Khao Lak centre plus the local market is fabulous it’s on every Monday Wednesday and Saturday

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
212 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak town centre

Yes but go late afternoon, early evening, shop and eat, lots of choice and taxis are cheap

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Khao Lak town centre

My wife can't eat spicy food. Do any of the local restaurants serve non-spicy or mild spiced food?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak town centre

There are lots of other options Beanard. Even on the Thai menus there are many non-spicy dishes but you also have Italian restaurants to try if you like.

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
703 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: Khao Lak town centre

just ask for no spicy when you order, most places will accommodate or will tell you if that dish is not possible to be made with no spice

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: Khao Lak town centre

There are lots of dishes that are not spicy at all. Look for fried noodles or rice with chicken/beef etc, spring rolls, chicken and cashew nut (lots of variations of flavour but generally a non spicy option), many of the stir fries are not hot. Just ask for not spicy.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Khao Lak town centre

Great. Thanks for the responses, my wife was worried that restaurants outside the hotel may be serving only spicy dishes.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
77 reviews
9. Re: Khao Lak town centre

Beanerd it is a misconception that all Thai food is spicy. There are many dishes that don't have chilli at all and are often served with a set of condiments to add. Many places have seafood that you can choose like whole fish and have it cooked as you like. This can just be barbecued or with a sauce so these are a good option too.

Also, even most small local type restaurants (no frills, plastic chairs etc) have western options. Definitley don't restrict yourself to the hotel, you will be missing out on some wonderful food.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
1 review
10. Re: Khao Lak town centre

Beanerd the problem (not a big one) I was having in Khao Lak was finding food that was spicy enough for my taste despite all my "phet maak" and "phet phet" (two ways of saying very spicy) and my wife assuring the staff that I "gin dai" (can eat) most of the time I found the food "toned down" compared to what I am used to at home.

As an aside why do we refer to food with a lot of chilli in it as "spicy" when chilli is not a spice?

Edited: 10 August 2018, 05:20
Reply to: Khao Lak town centre
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted