We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How often does a resort

malaysia
Level Contributor
147 posts
How often does a resort

charge you for late check out.

my flight on tiger air was changed to 2200hrs. so we requested with resort for a late check out til 6pm. also due to the fact that we have a 6 month baby and a 23 months toddler with us.

i was quoted 1400baht . nearly half the price i am paying for the room. U think.. that is a fair charge by the resort. i mean it is after all low season in May. Now i am thinking of cancelling my stay with the Merlin Khao Lak. after all.. there are many nice resorts to choose from.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: How often does a resort

It's quite common to charge 50% of the nightly rate for late checkout until 6:00 PM...most places would probably tell you this if you ask in advance, as they do not yet know if they need the room for another guest that night, and guaranteeing you use of the room until 6 means they can't put another guest in there until at least 8 pm, which likely means the room would be unsold for the night.

So, yes, I think it's fair. I think it is unfair of a guest to expect to get use of a room for free...if it were your business and you would lose revenue for doing a favor, wouldn't you think twice? Many people have similar schedules, so if a few people every day asked for late checkout and they gave it to everyone for free, then were unable to use those rooms that night...you can see where I'm going, right?

If you are there already, and the place isn't full, it's likely that if you ask nicely, they will give you either the room until it's time for you to leave, or they will hold your luggage for you for the day and you can use the facilities free of charge. I've not been charged for late check out ever, but I have been occasionally denied it due to the hotel being full...and in those cases, it was no problem for the hotel to keep our bags and we showered in the health club at the end of the day. No big deal.

Surin Beach, Phuket
Level Contributor
139 posts
2. Re: How often does a resort

To some degree I think it might depend on how long you stayed somewhere and if it is high or low season.

You might want to wait until you are actually on site to negotiate something. If you stay there for a week or more - I would guess that the GM might be willing help you out.

If they have to hope for a late check-in because they are booked up - they hazard offending someone who wants to get to their room. In low season no problem other than paying a maid to stay late.

top end of Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: How often does a resort

my friend had same sort of thing checking out around 5:30/6pm and were changed i think 1000baht at Ayara Villas. that was in march so high season.

Khao Lak
Level Contributor
126 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: How often does a resort

I live in Khao Lak and many people come here and negotiate a price after they arrive. Since Khao Lak is still recovering from the tsunami two years ago, its not that difficult to find a room when you get here. And furthermore, some resorts are able and willing to negotiate.

But, also keep in mind, that if many people booked a room and then either arrived late or never showed, it can still cost the hotel money. Hotels use their reservations to forecast their occupancy and will staff accordingly, and maybe even order enough food on-hand to cater to their forecasting in meals, etc.

Don't forget that the rates here in Khao Lak can also be much less than most destination in this type of climate (tropical, clean and beautiful beaches, remarkably beautiful surrounding parks and daily tours). So, even the published rates are attractive. If you are staying at one of the many 4-5 star resorts, why do you ask for a discount anyway? Aren't these people entitled to make a living, too? They don't have the luxury of using Priceline or other worldwide reservation methods. They rely on you showing up and often do not ask for pre-payment. Try asking for a discount at the Meridien in San Diego!

I'm grateful that you chose Khao Lak as your destination. For the five years before the tsunami, Khao Lak was the fastest growing tourist destination in SE Asia, and certainly in all of Thailand. You can help us by your continued patronage. We are happy you are here! We need your tourist dollars to rebuild, and we work hard to make your stay enjoyable for you and your families! Thank you!

malaysia
Level Contributor
147 posts
5. Re: How often does a resort

johnyy. thanks for ur feedback. seems like u're a bit emotional with your reply.

malaysia
Level Contributor
147 posts
6. Re: How often does a resort

full of ! !!!! in ur reply.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: How often does a resort

many people who've been to Khao Lak and those who chose to live there get emotional about it. We do! Perhaps you will when you've been!! :))

Khao Lak
Level Contributor
126 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: How often does a resort

Not sure how you can detect emotion in typed words, but let me respond by saying this: Yes, I am a bit protective when it comes to issues of bargaining with the local Thais. Perhaps when someone stays here for a long period of time and can get to really know the people and how they sometimes feel. The Thai people are most accomodating and will nearly always say "yes" instead of "no" simply to save face, or to avoid any confrontation. Both deep-rooted cultural traits.

But that does not mean they don't get a bit upset, even if they don't express it. So, sometimes I feel obligated to speak up for them. Many don't own, nor know how to use, a computer, so here I am.

Perhaps the next time you walk into a small souvenir shop, have some empathy for what these people have experienced and endured. I cringe when I overhear a foreigner bargaining on a two-dollar item to sell it half prince, nearly to the point that they argue with the shopkeeper. Be reasonalble when you make offers and simply pay for it, or walk away. You'll enjoy your vacation more. Unless you are the type of person that wants to go back to your home country and boast how you got a two-dollar trinket for one dollar, and completely forget the point that the shopkeeper is glad you stopped into their store, but they have mouths to feed, too.

Okay...got off the subject...and yes, perhaps I'm a bit emotional about this. I don't see any harm in being emotional about something I feel strongly about, do you??

I love Khao Lak and the people there, and I really enjoy meeting so many that visit there, too. It's that combination of locals, expats and visitors that make Khao Lak what it is today. And I relish in being a part of this community, away from the hustle and bustle of San Francisco where I'm from.

Cheers!

malaysia
Level Contributor
147 posts
9. Re: How often does a resort

points taken again.

i am not going into a debate. let the readers here decide the contents.

we are all here to xchange ideas and get infos.. and bagaining happens everywhere not just in thailand. so dun take so personally as we are there for 5 star service but pay one star price.

btw... we love thai ppl too.. that's why we spend all out hard earned $$ in thailand. :-)

Khao Lak
Level Contributor
126 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: How often does a resort

And we're all happy you are here. Really, welcome to Khao Lak! :)

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak