We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phang Nga elephant park

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
4,011 posts
35 reviews
116 helpful votes
Phang Nga elephant park

How long does it take to get from Khao Lak to this elephant park?

40 replies to this topic
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
180 helpful votes
1. Re: Phang Nga elephant park

About 45 minutes. See map at http://phangngaelephantpark.com/contact-us/

Edited: 06 February 2018, 06:42
Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
311 reviews
203 helpful votes
2. Re: Phang Nga elephant park

Wowsers over $600aud for a half day for a family of 4... just wiped that off my things to do list lol

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
180 helpful votes
3. Re: Phang Nga elephant park

It would be more useful to other members of diff entities nationalities to quote any prices in the local currency baht to enable them whether they consider prices are expensive or not relative to them.

Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Phang Nga elephant park

I have booked it. Can't remember what price is in thb but cost me around £300. For 3 of us. But I believe it's worth it. You get lunch included and there reviews are all good. It sounds like they spend a lot of time educating you about the elephant and spend more time with you.

Iv looked at loads of diff companies and this one looked the most ethical.

I love the idea of riding bareback as prefer this with my horses.

I can't wait. And yes more expensive but I think it will be the best and don't want to run the risk of being a part of something I don't agree with and spoiling the whole experiance.

Plus there's a new little baby just born. She was ment to be born end March begin April. Was worried she wouldn't be born in time for our visit.

Follow them on fb and see what there like with the elephants.

Edited: 13 February 2018, 02:32
Level Contributor
236 posts
15 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Phang Nga elephant park

You really do not get it do you?

Riding elephants is not ethical, Posing with elephants for selfies is not ethical, bathing with elephants is not ethical, tourists interacting with elephants is not ethical.

Have a read

http://alq.org.au/kind-tourist

Edited: 13 February 2018, 03:25
Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
29 reviews
40 helpful votes
6. Re: Phang Nga elephant park

Rule of thumb is that riding of elephants is not acceptable.

This establishment seems to give lip service to this idea but then inexplicably says it permits it apparently due to popular demand....which seems clearly to contradict their stated ethical stance....

"“SOON, IT MIGHT BE POSSIBLE FOR VISITORS TO INTERACT WITH THE ELEPHANTS WHILE SKIPPING RIDING ENTIRELY – BUT THE DEMAND TO RIDE STILL EXISTS AND OFTEN DICTATES THE DIRECTION OF A CAMP’S OPERATIONS.” Phang Nga elephant park

Edited: 13 February 2018, 03:34
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,199 posts
211 reviews
254 helpful votes
7. Re: Phang Nga elephant park

Phangna Elephant Park is a long way from being ethical. Far too much forced interaction with humans. I don't know why people can't just let them be without swarming all over them in the water so they can get photo opportunities. The poor elephant can't even have a proper bath without humans getting in the way not to mention the risk involved in people being in filthy water with elephant dung and god knows what else. Phuket Elephant Sanctuary and Phuket Elephant Park simply let them be while allowing visitors to quietly observe.

Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
29 reviews
40 helpful votes
8. Re: Phang Nga elephant park

THere seem to be various leels of expoloitation and owners involved inelephant parks from the very basest cruelty where the owners simply hide what goes on behind "closed doors, to those who genuinely believe they are helping elephants.

the problem is that many of those people - even if they LOVE their charges are simply unaware of modern thinking about welfare or conveniently choose to believe it's wrong.

you so often here the old cliche"if thy weren't here, they would be worse off" - this is simply a cop-out, if you are going to look after elephants or set up a BUSINESS as an attraction it is your responsibility to run it on totally ethical grounds - or NOT AT ALL.

The fragmented nature of elephant handling in Thailand and the total lack of effective legislation and enforcement has meant that the problem is never dealt with completely - elephants need to be retired and given space - human interaction is questionable and unnecessary.

I also can't see the need to breed elephants - the argument being it is part of their natural life - however the conditions that babies are raised in is seldom"natural" and they are often deprived of their mothers and full guardianship by the rest of th herd in favour of being touted in front of tourists.

Elephants inThailand both wild and captive need 2 things

1 0 A government that will provide both shelter and legislation for ALL elephants in Thailand

2 - An organisation that can reliably monitor, evaluate and rate all elephant attractions so we know whether businesses purporting to be "sanctuaries" really are or aren't what they claim to be.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
180 helpful votes
9. Re: Phang Nga elephant park

.... and it's still about 45 minutes to get there from Khao Lak whether the OP decides to go or not.

Some people choose to see and decide for themselves and if they do and then conclude with the views expressed that it is unethical he can add a voice of personal experience to the views of those who don't thus, surely, strengthening the argument for not visiting to those who are undecided.

Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
29 reviews
40 helpful votes
10. Re: Phang Nga elephant park

I think it has clearly been outlined several times why visiting a place as a layperson does little to nothing to decide if a place is ethical or not.

The only hope is that that person is as informed as possible before they go.

"The average tourist doesn’t have the capacity to identify cruelty to animals because sometimes that cruelty is not overt,” says Adam Roberts, the CEO of Born Free Foundation

Reply to: Phang Nga elephant park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations