We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Khao Lak in August

Brisbane
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Weather in Khao Lak in August

We are planning a holiday to Khao Lak in early August. Am worried that it could be a little wet and windy. Would love to hear from anyone who has holidayed there at that time of year.

Thanks!

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
1. Re: Weather in Khao Lak in August

August and July are tied as the third wettest months in the area with an annual average of about 10 inches (25.9cm).

See a good chart for weather statistics at:

http://khaolaklovers.com/khao_lak_weather.htm

I often vacation in Khao Lak in the "green" season as prices drop to half or even a third of high season rates (and it is just up the road from where I live).

Yes, it can be a bit wet and stormy at times - but tropical weather is notoriously hard to predict on a day to day basis.

If there is any kind of "typical" pattern it might be a clear and hot morning with clouds building in the afternoon and a heavy downpour in late afternoon for an hour or so - followed by clearing skies. Also common is a heavy rain for an hour or two late at night.

It can also be dry and clear for several days at a time - and, not so often - it can rain for several days in a row.

But - can't guarantee anything!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Weather in Khao Lak in August

Thanks for your help.

Considering the season would it still be OK for water sports - ie snorkelling for a dive course?

Cheers

Khao Lak, Thailand
1 post
3. Re: Weather in Khao Lak in August

I actually live in Khao Lak. The weather in August can be a little wet, but I don't think it would ever be enough to interfere with a vacation. I would definitely not recommend this area for outdoor activities in June or July because of the amount of rain here. August it improves a lot and it not so bad.

Stockholm
6 posts
4. Re: Weather in Khao Lak in August

Does anyone know the weather in Khao lak now?

Im going there in about a week and it seems as the weather is not the best. Lots of clouds, thunder and a little bit of rain. Ive been checking the weather on different travel sites and maybe somebody who actually is in Khao lak has some more accurate info.

Would really appreciate it...

I

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
5. Re: Weather in Khao Lak in August

Arandora from this forum is there right now and usually posts a daily review of the weather on the forum at Khao Lak Lovers at:

http://khaolaklovers.com/forum.html

Last couple of days have been pretty good. I live on Phuket and not much rain for the last few days also - weather between here and there is pretty similar as we are not so far from each other.

Khao Lak
Level Contributor
126 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Weather in Khao Lak in August

Hi all,

I, too, live in Khao Lak and perhaps Ted will agree (please let me know if you don't) that Khao Lak will likely get more rain than Phuket during the months you mentioned.

I've been here for the past two Aug/Sept months and it does rain, and it's never predictable. But it is a fantastic sight!

As far as diving or snorkeling, you'd be better off sending emails to a few of the dive shops, either in Khao Lak or Phuket. They will give you the most comprehensive answers to diving that time of year. I understand that most of the dive shops close up shop (though not all) during this time since the weather is not great for diving. I'm a diver, but never thought of going in August.

A few dive shops to contact might be (google them) IQ Dive, Sea Dragon or See Bees Diving. There are many others you can find on the internet.

John and Roong.

Paris
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Weather in Khao Lak in August

HI everybody

Somebody know please, how is the sea during july/august in Khao lak beach.

Is it ok for the swim or is it dangerous?because I saw that in phuket during this period, there are big waves and it's dangerous.

thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Weather in Khao Lak in August

It is the wet season and sea conditions can be quite rough with strong currents. I certainly wouldn't swim alone or stray far from the beach. Locals/beach staff will advise you.

Khao Lak
Level Contributor
126 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Weather in Khao Lak in August

Losangelca,

The harsh 'winter' monsson season should not keep you from coming to Thailand. There are other parts of this great country with coastlines that do not have rough seas. If you are looking to come to Khao Lak and Phuket specifically, then I agree with Anadora that you would not want to swim out too far (or at all, for that matter) and do not fall asleep on the beach while getting some sun. The tide can creep up on you! :)

It is, however, just as beautiful during these months as other months. Just depends on what you want in your vacation. If you are sold on JUST sun, then this may not be the time of year to come.

If you are an adventurist or easly tolerable to changing conditions, then come to Khao Lak!

Johnny and Roong

Paris
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Weather in Khao Lak in August

Hi

Thanks so much JohnnySF and Arandora for your answers, I searched for a long time about informations during this period.

Actually I'm looking for a destination where I can visit and sometime where I can go to swim (without problems ;) ) and bronzed on the beach . I think Thailand is the perfect destination!

Maybe Ko phi phi is better than Khao lak during this seasson about the sea conditions, what do you think?

Thanks

Julien

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak