We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

Kota Bharu, Malaysia
Level Contributor
97 posts
17 reviews
How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

Hi,

I just need help on getting from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by bus. I am travelling alone and the taxi idea is kinda expensive

I read somewhere that I can take bus to Patong or Phuket Town to get to Khao Lak and drop by at Khalang then exchange from there to Khao Lak.

Is it still available

Pls advice

19 replies to this topic
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

As previously advised in reply #11 in your previous post at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297… you can get the airport shuttle to the highway from the airport then the public bus from the highway directly to Khao Lak without changing. There is a bus stop on the highway facing north off the island where you get on the bus that goes to Takua Pa or Ranong or Bangkok, all of which go though Khao Lak.

You can stay on the shuttle to Phuket Town to catch one of the same buses there which is over an hour south only to go back north past the bus stop from the airport then on to Khao Lak.

Upto you.

1 post
2. Re: How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

Hey, thanks for the tip. Do you have any idea how much it will cost

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

80 baht according to this http://www.phuket.com/info/bus-schedule.htm

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

could you, please tell me if there's a bus schedule with the time for that local bus that goes to khao lak? We'll be landing(phuket airport) around 6pm, so we're looking for a bus that is probably around 19pm...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

Sorry but the last public bus going through Khao Lak leaves Phuket Bus Station at 5pm. See timetable at phukettourism.org/other/bus_time_phuket.htm

Best to get a private transfer directly to your hotel in Khao Lak with Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis based in Khao Lak. Depending on where you are staying cost is 1000 - 1200 baht for a standard car. Contact cheaperkhaolak1@gmail.com

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

thanks a lot for you fast respond! Do you think we can(2 ot us)get a taxi from the airport for 1200 bath?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

A taxi from the airport will cost upwards of 2400 baht. Just contact and book with Boss. He has a fleet of 30 vehicles and does regular and reliable transfers from and to the airport and Khao Lak at best prices.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

Hello again, and thanks so much for writing. I did contact boss, waiting now for him to name the prices.

Few more questions if you could answer I'll be very grateful...

We wish to visit both Surin, and Similan. Only after we booked ( non refundable ), bungalow in Kuraburi, did i realise that Khao Lak seems to be the starting point for both Similan and surin. I suppose the other Pier is closed. We also wish to stay for 2 nights/3days on both places. I see many companies offering those trips but we were hoping to actually use some type of local transportation to the islands or at least the National parks boats. According to one of our hosts in Khao Lak only way to stay or go to the Islands is organised trip, at price starting 5800 Baht for one night stay at the island( in a tent). I know tent runs for 500 Baht (for 2) and so on it seems so much cheaper if you don't use these 2-3day trips...

Any suggestions? Is it really the only way to visit?

thanks in advance

neli

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

There are different piers for the Similans and the Surins. Tab Lamu 15 minutes south from Khao Lak is the main pier for the Similans, Kuraburi just over an hour north from Khao Lak is the main one for the Surins although some operators use their private pier at Ban Nam Khem about 25 minutes north from Khao Lak.

You can only book accommodation, either tent or bungalow, through the National Park which is often slow and/or difficult or through an operator. It is not really practicable to try and do it yourself by local transportation.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?

OK, SO THE KURABURI PIER WORKS AND we'll be fine staying in kuraburi greenview resort. I THOUGH WE'LL HAVE TO CANCEL our reservation there, because it sounded like they start from Tab lamu pier for both islands. So we're better off using a company, but what do you consider good price for a 2nights at surin/similan.

We'll be going second week of February(i think it's a low season),so i read some reviews saying that you can rent a tent without a problem - by just going there...

Last question is: Is there a boat (national park owned that goes daily, as i read) or no?

thanks

Reply to: How to get from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak by public bus?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak