We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak or Ko Chang?

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak or Ko Chang?

Hi there,

We are going to Thailand end June/beginning July (our 4th visit to Thailand). I cannot make up my mind about where to go. We've been to Phuket, Samui, Krabi, Ko Tao, Ko Phangan and Ko Nanguyan. So now we would like to visit either Ko Chang or Khao Lak (or maybe both?). What I am looking for is piece and quiet (we did not like Phuket, loved Ko Pha Ngan!). We prefer unspoilt places, don't really need any nightlife as long as there are some restaurants in the area that will be just fine. We are more of "bamboo style huts" people then "5 star luxury" people if you know what I mean. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Ko Chang
Ko Chang
Trat Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Ko Pha Ngan
Ko Pha Ngan
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak or Ko Chang?

You will certainly get peace and quiet in Khao Lak in June/July as it is the Low and Wet Season. Lots of heavy rain but also lots of sunshine but not many visitors. KL is recovering well from the Tsunami and there is a wide range of accommodation including 5* luxury at "bamboo style huts" prices at that time of year. Main area for bars and restaurants is at Nang Thong Beach ("town" is about 800 metres from the resorts on the beach.

Have a look at Hotels and maps at http://khaolaklovers.com/ where there is also a Forum to join for more questions and answers.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
73 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Melbourne
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak or Ko Chang?

Bambulka - My partner and I are leaving in 3 weeks time and are spending 5 nights in both Ko Chang and Khao Lak. Like you we have been to many other destinations in Thailand and Loathe phuket.......I will share my thoughts upon my return.

Mentioned in this post
Ko Chang
Ko Chang
Trat Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
London
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak or Ko Chang?

Thank you so much for your replies- CazMelbourne, I will wait to hear from you, hope you have a lovely time in Thailand and hope you enjoy both places!

Mentioned in this post
Nelspruit, South...
Level Contributor
188 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak or Ko Chang?

Have a look at the little islands just of to the south of Koh Chang, Koh Kood is the name of the one, just have a look at google. Some really nice looking bamboo style huts i don't think the crowds have discovered the place YET.

Have you had a look at Koh Jum just off the coast of Krabi they also have very nice looking rustic places looks like Phi Phi 20 years ago.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Greetings

Michelle

Mentioned in this post
Koh Jum Resort
Koh Jum Resort
223 Reviews
Ko Jum, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Melbourne
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak or Ko Chang?

Ah - I'm back and missing it already.

We loved both Ko Chang and Khao Lak. Both are similar in that they are fairly quiet and are surrounded by National Park so there is plenty of natural beauty.

Ko Chang has a real character and traces of the hippy/backpacker vibe that is similar to Pha Ngan. We stayed on White sand Beach which is the most developed, but we loved it because there were plenty of beachfront bars and restaurants to try out. It is a very pretty beach. However, If you want more seclusion there are other beaches that are far quieter and these looked lovely too. The island is quite difficult to get around, so once you decide on a beach you will probably stay there. An Island hopping trip is a must do. Ko Kood and Ko Mak especially are your classic "desert island" spots with palm fringed white beaches, few people, huts and crystal clear aqua waters - paradise. If you can, I would recommend asking a daytrip island hopping tour to drop you off at one of these, stay the night and pick you up next day. Also their are organised day hikes (approx 5 kms) which looked good - though we didn't try it as the weather was so hot and humid during our stay and there wouldn't be too many flat stretches.

Khao Lak is made up of a string of beaches but it is easy enough to walk from one end to the other over a few hours. The beaches here are far more rugged and open than Ko Chang and there are far fewer people on them. For obvious reasons most of the resorts have been/or are being rebuilt. Most of the accomodation is 3-5 star resort style along the beach - although we did see 1 basic bungalow style place. There are no bars or independent retaurants on the beach, we saw a couple of hotel restaurants on the beach whilst there were many located within the 2 small towns just inland.

Many resorts are fully open, However Khao Lak is still recovering and there is alot of building still going on. I am not sure whether this is the cause, but there appeared to be a lack of real personality in Khao Lak. A trip to the similan islands is recommended - try a 1 or 2 night stay at the islands if you are divers. If not a single day snorkelling trip is well worth it with gorgeous corals and marine life. If you haven't done it before, a trip to Phang Nga bay is also great. We stayed at Sunset beach which is approx 15 mins walk from town. It isn't the busiest part but I think it is certainly the prettiest with great cliffs towerring over the beach and hotels - plenty of wildlife.

Mentioned in this post
Ko Chang
Ko Chang
Trat Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Ko Mak
Ko Mak
Trat Province, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,606 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Sunset Beach Resort
Sunset Beach Resort
1,145 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
London
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak or Ko Chang?

CazMelbourne, thanks so much for your reply. Sounds like you had a great time, I think we may try both - Ko Chang and Khao Lak, depends on the weather as I've heard it's quite temperamental in Ko Chang in June!

Mentioned in this post
Ko Chang
Ko Chang
Trat Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak or Ko Chang?

Hi,

all this sounds very nice for Khao Lak.

Please, consider though, that the end of June is in the middle of the monsoon. The water level will be nearly 2 metres (6 feet) higher than in the dry season. In addition, on June 30, we have the full moon and the water level will be very high at high tide. You may not be able to go walking along the beach at all.

The rivers separating the various beaches will be very high and do not allow to be forded.

Restaurants and bars along all beaches will be closed. You will see a lot of plastic sheets protecting the beachfront buildings and plastic fences guarding the plants in the garden from the salty spray.

This does not contribute to a happy holiday feeling.

If you select accommodation, we would advise to choose a resort, that is at least 100 metres away from the beach and has a nice swimming pool, e.g. Bhandari Resort if you prefer bungalows, or Khao Lak Seaview Resort if you prefer rooms in a hotel building. Both have a large pool area far from the beach, therefore are not affected by the strong monsoon.

We wish you a happy time in Thailand.

J.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
8. Re: Khao Lak or Ko Chang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 09:54
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak