We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sands vs Katathani, Phuket

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Sands vs Katathani, Phuket

Hi everyone,

Just wondering whether anyone has stayed at both The Sands and Katathani in Phuket? We stayed at Katathani two years ago and absolutely LOVED it! How do the two resorts compare? We're wanting to do another family trip in 2018 (large group) and I would rather try somewhere new (although I would go back to Katathani, definitely). There are a number of adults and varying ages of kids (youngest 4, eldest 12). Have read up on The Sands and it seems to me that it may be similar but of course different being in Khao Lak (we've not been to Khao Lak yet). Looking forward to hearing peoples' thoughts. Thank you!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Sands vs Katathani, Phuket

We have done 5 nights at Katathani about 3 years ago and two 8 night Scoopons at The Sands in 2015 & 2015. Chalk and Cheese, The Sands is new, 3 years old, Katathani old and renovated a few times. Katathani has the whole beach, a better beach than The Sands. The kids pool & quiet pool concept at The Sands is good, but Katathani has more pools and more bars. Katathani you are captive in Kata Noi with a couple of restaurants behind it while The Sands is a few minute stroll to some of the best food in Khao Lak.

I'd give Khao Lak a go, great place more laid back than Phuket, to us its Thailand's best kept secret. Also have a look at X10 which is next to The Sands, 200m north. Similar setup, good kids ameneties, but on a better part of the beach.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The Sands vs Katathani, Phuket

Thank you for your insight, tezzat! I'm pretty certain we will plan for a Khao Lak trip in 2018 now....I'm excited about heading to a new Thailand destination :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Sands vs Katathani, Phuket

Might he worth taking a look at the current deal for the Sands in khao Lak. 9 days 8 nights from $999 includes lots of extras at www.escapes.livingsocial.com.au

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Sands vs Katathani, Phuket

Hi Natalie, we visited Khao Lak for the 1st time this year, and we are already planning on a return. We did not stay at the Sands but we had family members staying there with children they loved it. We thought the resort was wonderful, we had a wonderful dinner (14 of us) at Talay restaurant beaut views, wonderful staff. They had a family room which was excellent. Lovely kids pool & playroom. We checked out a few resorts, and we are going to book the Sands as firsttime stated the deal looks great. We actually stayed at the beautiful Merlin which I think is more a couples resort. Also the Sands location is a big plus. We contemplated the X10 (in another good location) but the outlook to the beach was nothing compared to Sands, the beach itself looks same as Sands and nearby resorts. If you want a top beach you would have to travel to White Sands which is a nice day out, good restaurants too, you can walk Khao lak beaches all day its beautiful. Hope this is of some help, where ever you book I am sure you will enjoy.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The Sands vs Katathani, Phuket

Thank you all for your responses :) We've actually booked that fantastic deal via Luxury Escapes- sooooo excited! After reading all of the reviews, and considering your responses, I know we will love it! Cheers

Hamlyn Terrace...
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Sands vs Katathani, Phuket

Yes I have stayed at both. However they are different in the sense that the Katathani is older. The Sands is newer so the rooms are better. I rate the Sands higher, in fact for all areas of service room etc, I rate it as the best I have stayed at. It is a sprawling resort with lots of room. I loved reading in a deck chair, away from others, overlooking the sea. The pools are perfect, although the management needs to police the "no kids" in the main pool policy more. Is there a downside to the Sands, No, not for me, highly recommend it. BTW, we stayed in Junior Suite, ground floor, the best. Loved the bath!

7. Re: The Sands vs Katathani, Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2018, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations