We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

baan khao lak or layalina?

honolulu
4 posts
Save Topic
baan khao lak or layalina?

Not the worst decision to have to make, I know. Because we're foodies, we'd like to have plenty of good, local, affordable dining options. I'm leaning towards Khao Lak but my SO thinks Phuket. Any advice out there?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
146 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: baan khao lak or layalina?

You cannot go wrong anywhere in Thailand on the food front and I understand that the options in Khaolak are very good. It is a smaller town, a little of the beaten track and we have chosen to get out of the tourist bustle of Phuket and see a bit more of the 'real' Thailand. We have booked the BKL in April and will post a review about the food options. Good luck with the holiday plans.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: baan khao lak or layalina?

Phuket,being a bigger and more established destination obviously has more dining options. Khao Lak, the area worst affected by the Tsunami, is recovering brilliantly, is more compact and there certainly are very good, local and very affordable dining options. Even more than when we wereb there last April and we can't wait to return in less than two weeks time!

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: baan khao lak or layalina?

Both of these resorts are quite special places. Both relatively new - or in the case of the BKL - relatively newly rebuilt.

Layalina is a pretty special place, pretty much new this year - and the owner (Walter) cares about delivering quality service. The Laylina is in Kamala Beach - which is away from the way overdone Patong/Karon area. It is a small resort - maybe only 12 rooms or so - and fronts right on Kamala Beach. Some photos and info are here:

http://phuketgoldcoast.com/Layalina_Hotel.htm

Kamala has lots of restaurants and in particular the area immediately to the north is full of beach shack restaurants. A bit on that scene is here:

phuketgoldcoast.com/Kamala_Beach_Restaurants…

The beach area in Kamala is quite nice and the best part of it is the far north end - about 500 meters probably from the Layalina. BUT - it is not as nice as any of Khao Lak's beaches.

The Baan Khao Lak - freshly reopened is lovely and has a great restaurant all its own (get the Penang Duck). Up and down the beach you will find, in this area, primarily resort/hotel restaurants, but the farther north you go - the more beach shack restaurants you will find. The BKL is only maybe ten minutes walk into the main part of town and there you will find Jai (my favorite), Sala Thai - and many other local favorites. More about Khao Lak restaurants is here:

khaolaklovers.com/Khao_Lak_Restaurants.html

Just up the beach a bit is Nang Thong Bay Resort - see this page for a review of their great potato dish . . .

http://khaolaklovers.com/Best_Restaurant.html

Really, two quite different resorts - larger vs small, different beaches - nice vs. exceptional, restaurant choices Super vs exceptional (I've never had bad Thai food in Khao Lak) - but Kamala will offer much more choice in much closer proximity. AND - the Layaline is definitely different.

Frankly, you can't make a bad choice here - even if you tried.

honolulu
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: baan khao lak or layalina?

Thank you all for your help. Khao Lak it is!

Scotland
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: baan khao lak or layalina?

My wife and I spent time in both Phuket (Kamala Beach Hotel) and Khao Lak (Baan Khaolak Resort) in December 06. We loved both (Khao Lak was our very favourite) and we have just launched our (non-commercial) website with reviews, recommendations, photos etc of the accommodation, restaurants, bars etc.

Go to http://www.traveljimmy.com for more information, and don't hesitate to contact me if you've any other questions.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: baan khao lak or layalina?

Hi I would love to check out this site bot every time i google search it

It comes up blank (or just with trip advisor) Can you help ????

Surin Beach, Phuket
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: baan khao lak or layalina?

It takes a while for things to show up on Google. There are probably literally 100's of thousands of new websites every day.

Probably just best to just and paste the web address.

Surin Beach, Phuket
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: baan khao lak or layalina?

I meant "cut and paste"

Scotland
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: baan khao lak or layalina?

Sorry Travellingpete but why would you use Google to find a site when we've given you the exact website address? As other's have said the site is brand new so won't achieve a profile on Google for a wee while yet. If you know a website's exact web address - in this case www.traveljimmy.com - then all you need to do is type that address (or copy and paste it) directly into the address field of your web browser.

Search engines are only quicker when you don't know the exact address of the website you are looking for.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: baan khao lak or layalina?

Thanks mate

Its marvellous when somebody knows how to use a computer. I found it no problems at all (with your help ) ... great site.

Cheers Pete

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations