We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do

I am staying at the beyond resort in October and would like some help and advice on trips etc...it seems getting out on the water is the most popular activity..so which are the best trips, should I book with the hotel or are there locals who I can book with for an individual experience. Also is it worth hiring a car for a couple of days to venture out or is this not recommended.

Appreciate any advice...

Level Contributor
230 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do

We hired a car for a substantial and later proportion of our stay, and I would highly recommend it, IMO the best of Khao Lak is experienced outside of the two main towns. I would recommend in getting an international driving permit (IDP) from a Post office cost £5 + passport photos. I was not asked for it when picking up the car, but I think it is best & safer to have one.

We used the car for a tour round the temples, visiting Khao Sok National Park several times (best early morning and we kept going back, exploring different areas) plus we ended up spending most of our remaining time up and around the Bansak area, an area we preferred and we preferred using the car to get there, a preference based upon, cost, comfort and the freedom it gave.

We did use the taxi’s on shorter journeys or when we want a drink or two as did not want to drink and drive. If you are like us, liking to be “out and about” then taxi costs we found in the early days of our visit soon mounted up, although using them was fine and no problem.

I can not comment on booking trips, preferring to do everything independantly, accept our visit to Ko Thong which was an overnighter.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do

You can see pics of the popular trips in and around Khao Lak at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297… and some suggestions for self-drive tours at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914…

There is plenty of information on Things to Do in the Top Question FAQs on the right of the forum when you view it on a PC or laptop/tablet and by clicking on the Things to Do link at the top of the page.

Bear in mind that the Similan and Surin Islands are closed to tours until 15th October each year and are subject to cancellation at short notice for the next few weeks after that because of adverse, potentially dangerous sea conditions. Trips to the sheltered Phang Nga Bay are usually unaffected.

Hotels booked in advance and through hotels are usually more expensive than booking locally at one of the many tour shops when you arrive. If you want a personal guided tour contact Lora of Dior Travel at diorkhaolak@yahoo.co.th and Green Andaman Travel also do private tours.

3. Re: Things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2018, 10:48