We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area of Khao Lak is best for staying?

Lexington, Ky.
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Which area of Khao Lak is best for staying?

My husband and I are going to Khao Lak in 2 days, and need help! I normally have researched our travels, but this is a last minute change.

We don't know the pros and cons of Nang Thong vs. Bang Niang vs. Klu Khak. I have read that Nang Thong has a better beach than Bang Niang, and that's about it.

We aren't looking to stay in a large resort. We like guesthouses (1100-1300bt), nice beach, some restaurants. Where is the most activity located? We don't want remote. How far between the villages? Better to walk the beach or road to get between them?

We will be going to the Similans, but haven't decided on a day trip or overnight. What can we expect to pay for that?

Sorry about all the questions. Any help will be appreciated, because we need to know where to get off the bus to start looking for accommodations for a few days.

Thanks.

Gina

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
1. Re: Which area of Khao Lak is best for staying?

You do better finding inexpensive accommodation (esp. this busy time of year) right in the main village. Get off at the regular bus stop.

All the major beaches have their own advantages, beachcombing, snorkeling, or just wanding around with no one else around. (PakWeeb, Nang Thong, and Bang Niang - respectively).

It is probably faster to walk the beaches between the village areas - but most people rent a motorbike as the distance can make for a longish walk.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
159 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Which area of Khao Lak is best for staying?

We have just returned from Khao Lak, and loved it. We stayed at the Andaburi Resort on the main road in Nang Thong beach, and it was lovely.

We had a look at Nang Thong, Bang Niang and Kuk Khak beach, and I think Nang Thong beach is probably the prettiest - it has some lovely rocks areas and the snorkelling isn't too bad either. There are several beachfront restaurants along Nang Thong, and it is very laid-back. Watching the sunset was breathtaking, and it was good to have some rocks in the foreground of our photos. Bang Niang and Khuk Khak were nice too, but the hotels/restaurants on those beaches were much more expensive, and the beach at Bang Niang was just a straight long beach, no rocks. Khuk Khak beach was more interesting, with a little inlet where longtail boats are anchored.

There are plenty of guesthouses along the main road in Nang Thong, and prices start from around 500 baht a room, but there are also some very reasonable hotels right on the beachfront with rooms or bungalows around 1200 baht upwards (eg Khao Lak Green Beach Resort). You can try khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/eNangThongBeach.htm for some more info.

There are also plenty of restaurants/shops along the main road of Nang Thong road, and you should try the banana/coconut or pineapple pancakes that are made every night from a little stall outside the main minimart. Deeelicious!

You can hire a motorbike to check out the other villages for around 180 baht per day. They probably aren't within walking distance unless you are really fit and enjoy walking in very humid hot weather!

Similan Island day trips - starting price is around 3000 baht p/p, but shop around and you should be able to get it down to 1800-2000p/p. It's fantastic snorkelling, brilliant scenery and crystal clear warm water - absolutely love it. Don't know how much it is to stay overnight, but they provide either bungalows or tents for camping just back from the beach.

You won't have any problem finding accommodation if you stay at Nang Thong beach - lots of options, lots of different rates, and the place wasn't terribly busy when we were there. We just got back on Saturday.

Chok dee (good luck), and let me know how you go with your holiday.

Sylvs

Lexington, Ky.
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Which area of Khao Lak is best for staying?

Thanks for the info. We are headed to Nang Thong!

Gina

4. Re: Which area of Khao Lak is best for staying?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 01:48