We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

kent
Level Contributor
882 posts
57 reviews
Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

Going back to Laflora in Khao Lak which is on Banng Niang Beach, could anyone tell me if the restaurants are still on the beach past The Ramada Hotel ? Been hearing they have all been knocked down due to a big hotel that's been built. We really wanted to go back to "My Friend Restaurant ". Does anyone know where these restaurants have been relocated?

Any info would be a help, thanks

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

Yes they have all gone,there is quite a large thread on this subject if you look back over previous posts.

Level Contributor
207 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

"Yes they have all gone,there is quite a large thread on this subject if you look back over previous posts."

About Khao Lak ?

kent
Level Contributor
882 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

Do you know where they have moved too ?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

Most of the beach restaurants that were demolished on various beaches have not set up elsewhere except Tonson as reported in this topic https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297… and Aroy is now open on the beach road next to the Pyranna Bar. Perhaps Pak, owner of both the bar and restaurant, knows what has happened to My Friend if you pop in there when you arrive.

The latest maps at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297… show the current situation.

kent
Level Contributor
882 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

I've heard of the Pyranna Bar and I'm sure I've seen it on my previous visits, will try and find it when we get there. Thank you.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

It's down on the right near the beach just past the entrance to the Mukdara Resort past the Chang and Thunder (formerly Smile) Bars.

kent
Level Contributor
882 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

Yes I know the place, thank you

Australia
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

Was at La Flora until 2 days ago... If you walk south along the beach, there are several beach bars/ restaurants past the new hotel being built (where Riverside Hotel was/is), over the creek crossing and you will find maybe a dozen places approx. where X10 resort is. There are more further South where I think "The Sands" is. They are all the usual places with cheap drinks, basic Thai food and beach chairs for customers and some massage places. This is about 800 metres south of La Flora. By the way, La Flora has 3 "happy hours", 1-2, 5-6, 8-9,(check times), drinks 2 for price of 1, no need to buy 2 the same. They ring a bell and waiters will take orders if you are on the beach front or pool area. North of La Flora there is nothing on the beach and bit difficult to climb up to the road when you reach the rocks . Leaving the reception at La flora and following the road around, there are dozens of bars/ restaurants within a kilometre.

So the beach bars havent gone, they have been relocated basicly, They do the cooking in makeshift kitchens back off the beach in the trees which maybe gets them around the laws.

Edited: 05 February 2017, 11:24
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

Not been across the creek from Bang Niang yet but I had heard there were signs of some being rebuilt. It doesn't surprise me but if again they are not done legally and I cannot see how they can be in the same position, they are thumbing the nose at the authorities and will only make it worse for themselves and others. Only yesterday we were on Khiuk Khak Beach where the loungers ion the beach in front of the couple of remaining restaurants beyond the beach line had been removed back as the Police had been around taking photographs.

Edited: 05 February 2017, 15:21
Australia
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Have The Beach Restaurants Gone ?

A guy at one of the places was measuring his tables with a Tape Measure. I jokingly told him that they are the same as he measured yesterday. As mentioned, the tables and chairs are on the beach but cooking and storage facilities about 20 metres back. I would say 10 different establishments North and South of X10 and what looked like same number further down outside "The Sands".. The big white official warning signs are still there, every 200 metres or so. I wonder what the official distance is that they need to be from the water?

Edited: 05 February 2017, 15:59
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak