We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended minsu & taxi driver for Hualien

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended minsu & taxi driver for Hualien

Hi all, I went to Hualien in April 2012 and had a great time. TA helped alot in my planning so it's time to give back.

I would like to recommend Hualien Bay minsu and Mr. Li An Sheng (李安生) as a taxi driver / tour guide. Mr Li's number is 0912-092048.

My review on Hualien Bay is posted at the lodging reviews section. As for Mr Li, he is a quiet man and he will observe your group to see what you are like. He will note what your preferences are (for example, the elderly need to go toilet more often so he always ensured that there were frequent stops and pointed out where the toilets were). He also will observe to see if your group prefers him to give alot of information or that you prefer him to speak only if spoken to. However he will always intro the place to you and tell you about it. He is not pushy and will not force you to take his recommendations so feel free to discuss your itinerary with him and tell him your likes and dislikes; he will then give you his opinion of places. We did a last minute itinerary change due to his inputs and had a great time at the places he brought us to in the end.

At Taroko, he walked with us on 1 of the trails and would point out to us various flora and rock formations. He was always patient and never chased us, letting us enjoy the places we were in. I really appreciated this as I had elderly with me and it's hard to enjoy oneself if you are always asked to hurry.

I realise he would observe how we took photos and offer to take photos of us at all the various places. He even treated us to some snacks and he would recommend food places. Ask him to bring you to drink hong cha (红茶) or red tea in Hualien city. We wanted to buy fruits and he told us not to buy it in the main city as it was more expensive and drove us to a wholesale place that sold it cheaper.

If I go back, I will definitely engage him again!

11. Re: Recommended minsu & taxi driver for Hualien

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 09:03
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Recommended minsu & taxi driver for Hualien

Hi 90Joanne,

I stayed in the YMCA International Guest House when I was in Taipei. My review of YMCA can be found in TA under that hotel.

I traveled direct to Hualien when I arrived in Taipei so I brought all my luggage over. Reason being that I spent more days in Hualien than I did in Taipei.

You can just carry your luggage onto the train. The seats have space to place the luggage infront of you. Smaller bags can be placed overhead in the train. However do note that there are few lifts and quite a number of stairs in the train stations so that makes bringing luggage around a little more troublesome.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Recommended minsu & taxi driver for Hualien

Hi, I'm looking for a taxi driver for Hualien, travelling period around 25, 26 Oct. Does Mr Li has an email address? Are there recommendations for other taxi drivers?

Thanks in advance!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Recommended minsu & taxi driver for Hualien

Hi pin_loon,

Sorry but Mr Li does not have a email address that I am aware of. Calling him will be best.

You can surf the forums. There are quite a few other drivers around.

HK
Level Contributor
14 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Recommended minsu & taxi driver for Hualien

We also just came back from our 7 day trip to Taipei and Hualien, and would like to share our experience with taxi / guides.

HOTEL: We chose Hotel Bayview, recmmmended by TA, and returned with excellent experience. Everything was great. Hotel is located at a beach which is a scenic spot already. Great and flexible service, big and clean rooms, good breakfast, free train station transfer, and always good suggetions to our choise of restaurant, timings of visits, transport/ logistic arrangements, etc.

TAROKO: We went with Tiffany Chang who is widely reproted in TA. We like her because she replied to our inquiries promptly, and could provide us the assurance that someone will pick us up. Almost immediately after we paid the deposit through Paypal, she confirmed the pick up time, taxi driver name and car licence no. Although she was already booked on the day of our travel, she referred us to a teammate of hers, Ms. Wu. Ms. Wu unlike Tiffany can speak Mandarin but this is not a big problem for us as I could translate for my family members. Ms. Wu took us to the usual itinery plus Cingshui Cliff and Baiyan Trail as agreed. She pointed out all the scenic spots, took photos for us, explained brief history, advised toilet stops, eating places, suggested time allocations ... What we couldn't appreciate more was advising us to buy cheap slippers and disposable raincoats from the 7-11 to prepare for Baiyan Trail as we will get wet from walking under the waterfall. We had no idea of these preparations previously and couldn't thank her more for her advice. Also, when we returned from Baiyan Trail, she had already prepared a pail for us to wash the dirt off our feet. Very thoughtful of Ms. Wu.

Agreed rate was NTD3,500. I had paid 30% deposit on PayPal. So I needed to pay the balance to Ms. Wu only. I forgot about the deposit totally and paid Ms. Wu NTD3,500. She reminded me that I needed to pay around NTD2k only. She impressed us with her honesty.

We had contacted another widely spoken driver in TA but he was tardy to reply our inquires, and never confirm the pick up time/ driver name. We thought he ditched us but he suddenly called on the day of our visit to Taroko to ask us our train arrival time.... OMG... we actually arrived to Hualien the previous day and he was supposed to pick us up from the hotel.... he totally messed up everything, luckly we didn't count on him.

HUALIEN TO ZHAOFENG FARM: On the taxi we inquired Ms. Wu how much would it cost to take us from Hualien to ZhaoFeng Farrm, she quoted NTD800 one way. Our hotel has earlier indicated they could call return taxi for us at NTD1,200 (pay to taxi driver directly). So we went along with hotel arrangement.

TAROKO: We went with Tiffany Chang who is widely reproted in TA. We like her because she replied to our inquiries promptly, and could provide us the assurance that someone will pick us up. Almost immediately after we paid the deposit through Paypal, she confirmed the pick up time, taxi driver name and car licence no. Although she was already booked on the day of our travel, she referred us to a teammate of hers, Ms. Wu. Ms. Wu unlike Tiffany can speak Mandarin but this is not a big problem for us as I could translate for my family members. Ms. Wu took us to the usual itinery plus Cingshui Cliff and Baiyan Trail as agreed. She pointed out all the scenic spots, took photos for us, explained brief history, advised toilet stops, eating places, suggested time allocations ... What we couldn't appreciate more was advising us to buy cheap slippers and disposable raincoats from the 7-11 to prepare for Baiyan Trail as we will get wet from walking under the waterfall. We had no idea of these preparations previously and couldn't thank her more for her advice. Also, when we returned from Baiyan Trail, she had already prepared a pail for us to wash the dirt off our feet. Very thoughtful of Ms. Wu.

Agreed rate was NTD3,500. I had paid 30% deposit on PayPal. So I needed to pay the balance to Ms. Wu only. I forgot about the deposit totally and paid Ms. Wu NTD3,500. She reminded me that I needed to pay around NTD2k only. She impressed us with her honesty.

We had contacted another widely spoken driver in TA but he was tardy to reply our inquires, and never confirm the pick up time/ driver name. We thought he ditched us but he suddenly called on the day of our visit to Taroko to ask us our train arrival time.... OMG... we actually arrived to Hualien the previous day and he was supposed to pick us up from the hotel.... he totally messed up everything, luckly we didn't count on him.

HUALIEN TO ZHAOFENG FARM: On the taxi we inquired Ms. Wu how much would it cost to take us from Hualien to ZhaoFeng Farrm, she quoted NTD800 one way. Our hotel has earlier indicated they could call return taxi for us at NTD1,200 (pay to taxi driver directly). So we went along with hotel arrangement.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Recommended minsu & taxi driver for Hualien

Hi, there. May I have Tiffany Chang's email? Thanks.

17. Re: Recommended minsu & taxi driver for Hualien

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 12:48