We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at KTX station

Aalborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental at KTX station

Hi all,

I'm going to Gyeongju at the end of May and really look forward to it,

I will take the KTX train from Seoul to Gyeongju (I guess that means arriving at the Singyeongju station). I have already booked a hotel at the Hilton hotel in Gyeongju...

My question is how to get around? I will leave Seoul early morning and arrive around 10 AM, and go back to Seoul the next day at 3 PM.

I was thinking renting a car might be the best option, but I have a hard time figuring out how to do that.

First of all I have trouble locating the rental car locations using google maps (should be near the station right?)

I have looked at rentalcars.com but I'm wondering whether it would be cheaper simply to rent a car when I arrive?

Btw. I will be travelling with two friends so we don't need a big car

Thanks for your help :-)

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental at KTX station

I usually go to my hotel, and get a staff member to order me a car. Rental is abt 40,000 won per day in my experience. I've always had it delivered- you need an Int Driving Permit/

Where do you plan to stay?

Aalborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental at KTX station

Thank your for the quick reply!

We've booked a room at the Hilton Gyeongju (I believe it is to the east of the city?)

Only 40.000 won? When I checked on KT Kumho rent the price was approximately 4 times higher!

Which company do you then use, and do you just return the car at the hotel?

I was just thinking it might be more convenient to rent a car at the train station, because we arrive early (before check-in opens at the hotel). Then we could do some sight seeing before going to the hotel in the afternoon

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental at KTX station

concierge at Hilton always books for me. Usually Avis. He rings round and gets it delivered (and collected) at Hilton

I'd turn up to hotel using bus 700, leave bags and get it going from there, to be honest. They're very accomodating, and you can go straight on up to Bulguk Temple, or to Namsan from there

Aalborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental at KTX station

Great! And all this is possible, when I only speak English? (I can neither read nor speak Korean)

You already started answering the second question I would post here: what to see in Gyeongju, when I have 1½ day available.

I'm not too fund of dark & old museums, but like to walk around (outside) looking at temples and nature :-)

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental at KTX station

Entirely possible. You can pick up a tourist map from hotel reception, and concierge speaks OK English.

There are no dark and old museums; I WOULD however strongly recommend you visit Gyeongju National Museum (opposite Anapji Pond), esp the gallery on the restoration of Anapji. The best article there for me is a 20 sided dice used in a drinking game in abt 4th C AD.

Anapiji is worth a visit. In Anapji area is Cheomsongdae (very early observatory), Tumuli Park (essential) Gyerim Forest, Seokbinggo ice house. Park at Tumuli Park for abt 2000 won and wander round. Good ssambap restaurants right there.

West is Poseokchong palace ruins, and a little way further along the Poseokjeong road is a car park from where you can walk across the road into Namsan.

There are temples, buddhas on the mountain, all easily reached.

North is Yangdong Folk Village, about 30 mins drive easily accessible, and worth a trip. Nearby is Oksan Seowon, a former Confucian school, again worth a visit.

East of Gyeongju you can get to the coast, where is King Munmu's Sea Tomb, and en route some real pagodas.

Gamp'o is north of the sea tomb, great for crab restaurants

Oh, and at some sites you'll find "Honor guides" who will accost you and explain things in English. They don't want paying, and will get irritated if you try to!

Edited: 30 April 2014, 18:08
Aalborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental at KTX station

Wauv! Thank you so much for this useful information

I hope we can manage to visit all the places during our short stay.

The free guides are great - I tried something similar in Japan. They get to practice their English and we get awesome guides

How is the Namsan mountain? Is it something you can hike in a couple of hours or do you need a full day?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental at KTX station

On Namsan you can see things in an hour; you can spend the entire day.

I usually park at the park beyond Poseokjong, then on the map you'll see some tombs just across the road.

Retrace steps and walk towards Poseokjong, then on right is a track up to a small manned temple only about 100 metres from the main road (toilets along the road), then finally walk even further back and go up to Posekchong.

But on the map you will see there are many many sites on the mountain-relief Buddha carvings, more temple and so on. You can rent a bicycle if you feel the urge (I never did!)

Aalborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental at KTX station

Once again thanks for the great tips!

I have agreed with my travel mates that we will ask our hotel to book a car

I hope we can manage both to hike a bit at Namsan and visit many of the other sites you mentioned

If this site had a "like post" button you would get a big one :-)

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
198 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental at KTX station

there's a car rental place about a 5 minute walk from Seoul Station (train station) . IT's the KT Kumho rental company. Ask an information officer for which exit to take (it's through the back gate). KT Kumho is the only car rental company I've used and they've been pretty good; the rates are about $70 per 24 hour period and they have a variety of car models. The hard part in Korea is navigating, and even if you have GPS you need to enter your destinations in Korean. But don't be discouraged; it can be done. Just be prepared to get lost sometimes.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental at KTX station

"If this site had a "like post" button you would get a big one :-)"

thanks!

I've been visiting Gyeongju regularly since 1997 and still haven't seen all of it by any means. I did once do an overnight "guided tour" from Seoul in a minibus, and the guide knew very little about it. The driver was good but spoke no English.

But my first trip was with a very important Korea gentleman who took us to Bulguksa. He suddenly grabbed my wife and say "look a monkey on a motor bike". This was very surprising and we all looked round for him, only to see a Buddhist monk on a motor bike. When we explained to our guide what he had said he couldn't stop laughing for about 10 minutes.

My other recollection of that trip was walking back from Seokguram grotto just after dawn to find about 40 Korean kids bowing to us. It turned out we had seen them day before at Anapji, said "hi" to them. Hence they knew us and needed to show respect.

Korea- always unexpected!

Do let us know how you get on.