We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive-renting car recommended?

2 posts
Self drive-renting car recommended?

I am planning on staying in Jeju for 4 days with my husband and was wondering if it would be recommended that we rent a car and travel or if public transportation is easy?

9 replies to this topic
S G
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
527 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Self drive-renting car recommended?

I can't give you an answer, but I was about to post exactly the same thing myself so I hope someone comes along to give us a response! I'm wondering what the roads are like outside Jeju City - is it reasonably quiet or should we expect a lot of traffic? We'll be there in early January.

Edited: 15 September 2018, 06:36
Level Contributor
67 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Self drive-renting car recommended?

I visited in May 2016, rented a car. The traffic outside Jeju city is better. However since there are a lot of tourists, really need to be careful when driving. Especially in Jeju city where the road are quite narrow between shops. But all in all, car will make it more convenient. I think the bus stops a bit far from some attractions. So a bit of walk to really arrive at the attractions. Having car you can drive until the entrance and park nearby.

2 posts
3. Re: Self drive-renting car recommended?

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Self drive-renting car recommended?

Yes! I recommend you to rent a car. You can get one at the airport or book one before coming to Jeju. It’s so much easier to travel around the island alone, and much better than sticking to an itinerary with a large group. You have a lot of freedom when you drive yourself around. Hope that helped!

Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Self drive-renting car recommended?

Jeju City is relatively quiet and uncrowded. There’s barely ever any traffic. I’ve visited here so many times and I’ve never had any traffic problems, most of the times you’re driving in small roads with no cars around.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Self drive-renting car recommended?

Hi. Thank you for this question. I also had in mind of renting a vehicle; between car or scooter motorbike. How is the weather around 18-25 of Nov? Would it be freezing exploring the island with scooter? Also, are there parking fees in Jeju? Thank you.

Edited: 14 October 2018, 10:00
Seoul, South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea, Seoul
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Self drive-renting car recommended?

Scooter would be a little annoying because by then it will be colder (0 or so during the day is my guess) and you're driving very LONG distances like 30-40 minutes one way to go across the island). Most sites are not close together.

Level Contributor
205 posts
8. Re: Self drive-renting car recommended?

Car is much better than scooter in jeju.

Wind of the jeju is strong and have a lot of hills.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
89 reviews
9. Re: Self drive-renting car recommended?

I'm travelling to Jeju on 1-5Nov, practically next week! This will be my first trip to Jeju and I decided to rent a car so that I can visit more places at my own pace. Heard that the bus system is not exceptionally good ... not sure if the new routes made any difference. Also thought of booking guided taxi tour but comparing the price with car rental, I went for the later.

Initially I was quite wary as I read some bad reviews on the various car rental companies in Jeju... but got a recommendation from a friend so I booked here https://goo.gl/D6yX8m. Felt more assured with all the positive reviews on the page as well. I chose Economy type of vehicle and was assigned a KIA RAY (small and cute actually) ...

Reply to: Self drive-renting car recommended?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jeju