We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport-Cote D'Or-Jetty-Airport (across a week in March)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Airport-Cote D'Or-Jetty-Airport (across a week in March)

Hi,

My husband and I will be visiting Praslin and La Digue for a week in early March. We will be on Praslin for 5 nights and then travel to La Digue for 2 nights, before returning to Praslin for the plane back to Mahe for our return flight.

We are in our early 30s and experienced, independent travellers. I use TA a lot (although this is my first time writing an actual forum post) so I already have a good idea of our plans whilst we are in the Seychelles, but I'm trying to work out the best way of getting from: airport to accommodation (in Cote D'Or), accommodation to ferry jetty and then from ferry jetty to airport on our return. We will not be hiring a car for our time on Praslin as we will use the local bus. We have done everywhere else in the world (Caribbean, Central America, Asia etc) and always research ease of public transport before finalising our trips as this is a priority for us. I understand from reading reviews that the Seychelles busses will not take us with our luggage, hence the need for a taxi.

Would it be more economical to book the ferry tickets independently, and then arrange taxis for the above trips when we are on Praslin? Or should I go via a tour operator who can arrange a taxi plus the ferry tickets? At the moment I'm considering getting a taxi from the airport to Cote D'Or on our arrival (around 400 R?) rather than pre booking it as there might be others on the plane we can share with and if not we haven't lost anything. Is this a sensible idea?

I don't really see the value in arranging a "day tour" to La Digue given we have already booked accommodation. This is partly what is stumping me, as I don't want to pay for bikes/drinks/whatever as part of a La Digue "package" as we won't use them but it would be easier to book the taxi transfer with the ferry tickets. I've already emailed some companies about tours to Cousin Island etc but got a response of "come and talk to us when you're here" which doesn't help from a logistics planning perspective! I will send companies emails today anyway, but want to get thoughts from others on here as well in case these companies come back with a similar line.

Thanks in advance! :)

6 replies to this topic
west midlands
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport-Cote D'Or-Jetty-Airport (across a week in March)

No expert by any means not going till September but have you looked at Seychelles bookings.com for advice regarding ferry or information on sey villas .com. We are staying on la digue first, and will hire bikes from where we are staying, after la digue, we then do praslin. And mahe,

Our accommodation are providing free transport to airport, it might be worth asking your accommodation ,hope this helps.

DUS
Level Contributor
792 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport-Cote D'Or-Jetty-Airport (across a week in March)

Hi e-s03,

not easy, to detect your questions, buried under a lot of text and explanation. ;-)

So if I missed one, please feel free to amplify.

1. Metered Taxi fares:

- Airport - Cote d'Or: ca. 500-550 SCR (some will try asking 600, but go by meter)

- Cote d'Or - Jetty Baie St. Anne: 250 SCR

- Jetty - Airport: ca 400-450 SCR

2. At both Jetty as well as Airport are enough taxies waiting; no need for pre-booking, unless on special holidays perhaps. If you like the driver from Airport to Anse Volbert, and he has done a good job, take down his mobile number / WhatsApp, and call him for other rides, esp. ex Cote d'Or, as it can take a little patience to flag down one there.

3. I don't see the value of a tour operator for day trip to La Digue either, once you are on Praslin already. For the Praslin-La Digue part not even an online reservation for the ferry is necessary. Cat Rose rarely sells out, and operates more frequent than Cat Cocos from Mahe. Just buy your ferry tickets at their shop at the jetty at the day of your trip to LD, as you would have to see their counter anyway, to receive your boarding pass.

Edited: 29 January 2018, 02:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport-Cote D'Or-Jetty-Airport (across a week in March)

Hi both,

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

KhanKulay - Yes, those were my questions so thanks for answering them! :) Thanks also for the prices - I'd been reading up on this, but obviously the posts I read were out of date. From what you're saying, we may as well just do the taxis as we go along. This is what I was thinking, but then I've also had this line of thought elsewhere in the world and that's been the wrong choice (much to husband's annoyance), so I just wanted to check. Thanks for sense checking my thoughts on the La Digue trip. Good to know that the ferry doesn't sell out! How long in advance do you need to be there before departure?

Should we bring Euros (in cash) in addition to getting local currency when we are there? Most tour prices are listed in Euros, but can you pay in local currency too? Or can we use our bank cards to make payments in Euros? What are the average charges for making card payments?

Hairybear007 - Thanks for you reply. I've already looked at the sites you mentioned. Unfortunately I emailed our accommodation on Praslin and they replied saying that we should pre-book a taxi company to meet our flight... which is part of the reason why I wanted to get views on pre-booking here. Which accommodation are you staying at? Enjoy your trip!

Thanks again! :)

west midlands
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport-Cote D'Or-Jetty-Airport (across a week in March)

Hi somebody recently posted that you can pay everything in local currency,one of our bank cards does not charge,so we will withdraw some local currency throughout our stay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport-Cote D'Or-Jetty-Airport (across a week in March)

Hi,

Good to know. Haven't found that thread yet!

We are the same - we have one credit card where international cash withdrawals are free (Barclays) and then a Nationwide one where anything payments you make on the card are free. When I say free I mean at the Visa/Mastercard rate, but there are no bank charges etc. I haven't exchanged currency for years so didn't really want to go and get some Euros to take with us!

west midlands
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport-Cote D'Or-Jetty-Airport (across a week in March)

Changing money best method posted here on the forum January 30th, and a currency question posted today 09.26am Hope that helps.

Reply to: Airport-Cote D'Or-Jetty-Airport (across a week in March)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Praslin Island