We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire motorbike

4 posts
Hire motorbike

Hi does anyone know if it is possible to hire motorbike in Bima or Sumbawa baser for a week?

I'm climbing Mt Tambora in Jul or Aug then travelling with a motorbike but I can't find any infomation about hiring motorbike in those two town.

Much appreciate if you can give me some information.

Cheers.

10 replies to this topic
Kangaroo Flat...
Level Contributor
174 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Hire motorbike

Your best bet is to go to any motorcycle repair shop and ask to speak to the boss. He will very likely own a few bikes one of which he may rent to you. Or he will know someone else. Unless you speak Indonesian or he speaks English you might find this a bit difficult. In SB you check out Erik at Cipta Sari Bakery Jl. Hasannudin No 47 he may be able to help. He speaks excellent English.

4 posts
2. Re: Hire motorbike

Thanks for the info!

Motorcycle repair shop....Good idea!! Didn't think about it.

I will try that and Erick the baker.

Cheers mate!!

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
3. Re: Hire motorbike

Koji K, hi

My two cents;

@@ if you drive without IDP and anything happens ( road accident etc) you insurance will not accept your claim

@@ when you hire a motorbike, check it carefully ( visual conditions, test drive and everything), ask for STNK ( to be sure you are not driving a stolen smth) and and for the bike insurance policy.

Make of photo of it and a person from whom you hire.

Edited: 08 February 2017, 18:53
4 posts
4. Re: Hire motorbike

Thanks for the advice!

I will make sure what you said.

Can't wait to go over there.

Cheers mate!!

Appreciate it!!!

Edited: 09 February 2017, 03:00
Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
5. Re: Hire motorbike

Most welcome and drive safely!

Kangaroo Flat...
Level Contributor
174 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Hire motorbike

In relation to insurance, if the motorcycle has a current STNK ( Surat Tanda Nomor Kendaraan), meaning it is registered, it will be covered compulsory insurance supplied by JASA RAHARJA insurance company. This is death and injury insurance, NOT vehicle or property damage. The compensation is rather small. From memory about $2000 for death, $1000 for permanent injury. If you have an accident you will be required to pay for any damage to the motorcycle.

In short, don't have an accident.

I climbed Tambora in 2008. There is an account of this on the www.gunungbagging.com site

written under the pseudonym "merantau"

The site has a lot of useful information.

4 posts
7. Re: Hire motorbike

Holy cow!!

$2000 for death!?

Our life is really cheep over there,isn't it?

Thanks for the links.

I have been searching about tambora for a while but haven't seen this ones yet. Good info!!!

Cheers mate!!

Waterford, Ireland
2 posts
1 review
8. Re: Hire motorbike

Does anyone know about public transport to lakey peak from BIMA? flying in with surfboards and hoping not to have to hire a bike until we get to lakey as i heard they can be difficult to source and expensive in BIMA

thanks,

Rachel

Kangaroo Flat...
Level Contributor
174 posts
56 reviews
9. Re: Hire motorbike

You are right about difficult. It's also unlikely you'll be able to take public transport with the boards. This is a well worn route. I'm sure there will be drivers at the airport with vehicles set up to carry boards. I 've seen them on the way to Lakey. Cost? I imagine 500 - 700K but I don't know. I'm basing that on whst it costs to hire a car and driver in Lombok. Also surfing seems to attract higher prices. It's about a 3 hour trip. I'm sure you'll enjoy Lakey. It has a good feel to it.

fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Hire motorbike

Hi Rachel. Where are you staying at Lakey? Perhaps they could organize a a diver to pick you up. We stayed at Aman Gati and they had someone pick us up. We had already paid for it, I think it was about $60. The driver then stopped for petrol and made us pay for it. . All the drivers at Bima were pretty intense as they were at Lakey so just be aware. Enjoy.x

Reply to: Hire motorbike
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sumbawa