We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

Hi guys. I am going to Lombok with my friends this December and will be booking hotels very soon. But then one thing came across my mind - the age for checking-in hotels. Since this is the first time I'm traveling abroad without my parents or any adults, I have no experience on hotels and anything that's related.

I'm concern that my age (16 and a half,same goes to my friends) will be denied on checking-in the hotels I'll be booking. What is the minimum age for checking-in hotels in Indonesia, or Lombok if anyone knows? I'll be using my parents' credit card to book them and should I need to bring it there too?

Help, this is urgent. Thanks.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

danieltan1999, hi

The legal age to be registered in a hotel in Indonesia is 18 without supervising adult ( s). Yet some non-chain and smallish establishments may have a cursory eye on this regulation. In Indonesia it's entirely possible, unlike Singapore, for example, where rules are rules and etc.

The best strategy is to check in advance with a hotel about their disposition towards this matter, and only after that go on with booking/ payment.

Edited: 08 October 2016, 23:03
Lombok
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

I run a homestay and had no idea about minimum age as I am sure many other homestays or small operations will not.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

Wow that is very young to be travelling to a foreign country without an adult. Can I ask, what are your plans while you are in Lombok? How will you get around, what activities will you be doing? I'm not asking for personal details, just hoping to give you some tips on what to watch out for

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

Well Sudiah, we are a group of three traveling to Lombok, Indonesia this December and yes, without any adults along the journey. It may sounds risky but we are just going for a vacation. We'll be heading to the Gilis for a few days before exploring the waterfalls and the southern coast of Kuta. Cus we'll be leaving each other after 2016 for further studies in either college or university so this serves as the one final trip we'll be taking.

I asked a hotel (Sunsethouse Gili Meno) last night and they replied that they allow any age to check-in. Mind if I ask, does hotel like the Kebun Villas Senggigi allow something like that since it is much "higher-class" than the one I mentioned earlier? Any experiences?

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
5. Re: Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

"Mind if I ask, does hotel like the Kebun Villas Senggigi allow something like that since it is much "higher-class" ...

Again - the best strategy is to ask them directly.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

I think it will be up to the individual hotels whether they accept you. No one here can say for sure. Gili Meno is quiet, I'm a bit relieved you are not thinking of Gili T as I fear you might be targeted there. Be careful, don't drink any spirits, and don't leave any drinks (even soda) unguarded - no different to precautions you would take AS AN ADULT when out at night at home or in any city. I would not advertise your age to anyone. Obviously the hotel can figure it out when you check in and show your passport, but don't mention it if you strike up conversation with anyone. It's not their business anyway.

If you travel you know the best thing is to always be aware of what's going on around you and don't put yourself in dangerous or uncomfortable situations. If something doesn't feel right, get away from it, don't worry about being polite. Trust your gut instinct.

Do not be tempted by the offers of drugs, and even if you are just sitting near someone who is smoking pot or something, get up and leave. You have your whole life ahead of you and you don't want that to be in an Indonesian jail.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

I emailed the hotels that I picked just now, waiting for their replies.

Maybe we are quite young to travel abroad without any adult accompanying and that's dangerous. I planned the trip carefully and trying to avoid as much unnecessary troubles as possible. For example, the boat charters in Bangsal. Gili Meno becomes our choice because we hate party scenes and noisy nights, we love to have some solitude and less-disturbed views of the sea instead. According to my research, Gili Meno is the most quiet. We will be taking a snorkeling tour to visit the other two islands too, not even stepping a foot on their shores (probably). Of course, Trawangan has history of deadly alcohol consumption, maybe not once but a few times so it's obvious beer and any other kinds of alcoholic drinks should be avoided. We don't even consume alcohol too.

I believe we'll be safe throughout the journey since we'll be more likely to dine in the hotel or nearby restaurants not far from where we'll be staying. For the Senggigi part, we won't be leaving the resort since it has a great restaurant that provides awesome dishes. For Kuta, I'm not really sure about that but still troubles and dark areas will be avoided much.

For transportation, we booked a driver guide that will take us around the island for a few days after the Gilis. We won't be hitting nightclubs or any other similar venues, avoid people that are trying to seek something unnecessary from us and of course, be alert enough of our surroundings.

Any other things to avoid in Lombok? Thanks Sudiah for the advices and your concern, really appreciated and we will stay safe.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
8. Re: Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

danieltan1999, hey

As an extra idea how to get a faster response from the hotels nowadays - try to contact them via FB.... It usually takes far less time than waiting for the email reply.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

Ooh I never thought of that. Thanks for the help Schonefeld!

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
10. Re: Required Age for Checking-in Hotels

You are most welcome! It's a simple trick... Lol.