We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in January

Sinsheim, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Weather in January

Hi,

we are 4 persons and are planning a trip from Bali to Lombok with a few days on Gili islands.

Now I heard several stories about how bad weather in january is and that swimming / snorkeling is not really possible due to bad sight conditions and stronger currents underwater.

Has anyone experienced this during january in the same region and should we perhaps shift that trip out of the raining season?

Regards

Sören

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Weather in January

attix22, hi

In Indonesia from September to April is what we call *wet season*, if your travel dates are flexible, of course it makes sence to shift your vacation to April-May, for example.

Sinsheim, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Weather in January

Hey thanks for your fast reply.

I know it is wet season and I am quite ok with that.

I just want to get a first hand report of what weather you can expect in january.

A good starting point would be how it was in january 2015 for example.

Level Contributor
21 posts
3. Re: Weather in January

Hi i went in january of this year it was great only 1day of rain other day was hot

Australind...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4. Re: Weather in January

Hey.. Go to kuta lombok. In south we have less rain than in the north. Good place to drive around by scooter. Good food too.

Sinsheim, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Weather in January

Thanks, I just researched and seems like the weather isn't that bad.

Global warming maybe? :-)

@Marlelouise: Did you have the impression that diving / snorkeling was not possible due to bad sight conditions?

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Weather in January

attix22,

Wet season does not mean raining non stop 24/7. Rains come and go, and they not necessarily happen every day. Any time of day.

My last snorkeling in Gili was exactly in January, on a brilliant sunny morning - in the afternoon that was a storm though. Under the direct sunlight visibility was great.

Sinsheim, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Weather in January

Thanks for your information, we will stick with January and see :-)

8. Re: Weather in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2017, 10:48