We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Holiday to Lombok

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Family Holiday to Lombok

Hi Guys,

Its my first time posting here on the TripAdvisor Forum, but I have been a regular in reading the many different forum topics, and have found them to be very helpful.

My family and I have basically booked flights and accommodation to Lombok for our long awaited family holiday, we will be staying at the Imaj Private Villas in Senggigi. This holiday I will be travelling with my Wife, 4 children (aged 6, 5 and 2) and one infant (aged only 6 weeks), and also travelling with my parents, father (who is disabled) and mother. We will be staying in Lombok for 5D4N from 16/06/2015 until 20/06/2015.

I will be hiring a car and will self drive during my stay in Lombok.

I was wondering if you guys could give some advise in regards to a number of things:

1. Itenarary for 5D4N - would like to see/visit waterfalls, traditional lombok villages/historical lombok sites, the best beaches in Lombok, good restaurants etc.

2. Health advise/warnings - I have read that Lombok is a malaria prone area, this sort of made me about to cancel my trip to lombok as I have a small infant coming in this trip and didnt want anything bad to happen to the little fella. What should I look out for, and what medication should I bring? How can I best protect everyone from any health risks, such as malaria and dengue fever?

3. Money Changer - Where is the best money changer that gives good rates and is reliable to go to in Lombok, especially near Senggigi.

4. Car Rental - I would like to hire a car for self drive in Lombok, but I would like to have the car delivered to us at the airport when we arrive at Lombok internation airport. Please provide contact details. I would like to pay only a deposit before I arrive in Lombok, and pay the full amount when the car is delivered at the airport.

5. Map of Lombok - Any good map that I should buy that will help me navigate Lombok. Note that I will be in Bali before I leave for Lombok, so maybe there are places in Bali where these Lombok maps are available.

Sorry for the big question, I am a worry wort, and I wanted to make sure this family holiday be a memorable one without any health issues.

Regards

2 posts
1. Re: Family Holiday to Lombok

Dear Haris,

Thank you has choose Lombok as your home away from home

1. Itenarary for 5D4N - would like to see/visit waterfalls, traditional lombok villages/historical lombok sites, the best beaches in Lombok, good restaurants etc. ### If you would like to explore more about Lombk, i recommend that you book tour with local TA in Lombok which is they now everything.

2. Health advise/warnings - I have read that Lombok is a malaria prone area, this sort of made me about to cancel my trip to lombok as I have a small infant coming in this trip and didnt want anything bad to happen to the little fella. What should I look out for, and what medication should I bring? How can I best protect everyone from any health risks, such as malaria and dengue fever? ### Yes we have heard about this information in some of long overdue guide books. But please note that the government of Indonesia has actually declared West Nusa Tenggara Province not anymore as Malaria epidemic area for long time already. Prevention and protection:

Of course to ensure that your holiday will not be ruined by the scare of Malaria and dengue fever, the best is to follow recommendation of your home doctor including malaria injection if so necessary

3. Money Changer - Where is the best money changer that gives good rates and is reliable to go to in Lombok, especially near Senggigi. ### There is a lot money changer in Senggigi and/or in Mataram City

4. Car Rental - I would like to hire a car for self drive in Lombok, but I would like to have the car delivered to us at the airport when we arrive at Lombok internation airport. Please provide contact details. I would like to pay only a deposit before I arrive in Lombok, and pay the full amount when the car is delivered at the airport. ### There is one BIG car rental company at the Aiport namely TRAC company

5. Map of Lombok - Any good map that I should buy that will help me navigate Lombok. Note that I will be in Bali before I leave for Lombok, so maybe there are places in Bali where these Lombok maps are available. ### You can get Lombok Map in some Local Agent counter upon arrival at Lombok International Airport

Thank you and hope it's help

Regards // Rahman

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Family Holiday to Lombok

You do not mention what kind of disability your father has. If he has trouble walking any of the waterfalls I have been to he will have trouble at as they have a lot of stairs. The same goes for the traditional villages, uneven, slippery paths, steps. But beaches should all be good.

Malaria. I have not personally known anyone to have malaria here for many years now. Dengue is more of an issue. With an infant, in fact all of your kids try Johnson & Johnson Baby oil with anti mosquito (anti nyamuk) you can but it here easilly in baby shops, supermarkets etc. I used it on my son for his first 2 years and he never got a bite.

The money changer with the best reputation and rates has an office in southern Senggigi BMC.

Car rental. I have heard that the rental company in the airport is very expensive. I would imagine you will get cheaper rental also if you arrange it once you arrive in Senggigi, than online. But obviously you will have to pay for transport to Senggigi. There are a few companies in Praya not far from the airport. I do not have details but you could try Googling them and see what they say.

Maps, Sorry I cant help there. I usually use Google maps if I am going somewhere new.

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Family Holiday to Lombok

Thanks for your reply.

My fathers disability is that half his body is disabled due to a stroke.

With regards to the Itinerary, could someone give some advise on which places are worthwhile to visit. I would like to self drive myself and not go through tour guide.

Also could you please advise all the different restaurants that I should visit, I want to eat seafood, traditional Lombok/indonesian food, my family love spicy food so don't mind restaurants serving very spicy dishes.

Currently in Lombok what is the situation with Mosquitoes, is it dengue fever season or not? I am very worried about this.

What season is it in Lombok currently, is it wet season?

Thanks in advance for all the advise and tips.

Regards

4. Re: Family Holiday to Lombok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2016, 09:47