We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

Hi,

I have been monitoring the weather forecast closely for my trip to the far-east, and have held back on booking to lombok because of the weather.

my question really is: what are the thunderstorms really like? is it generally a nice day with an hour or two of heavy rain and then life goes back to normal? or is it constant rain/cloudy/depressing?

i'm planning to be there for last few days in march and early april.

weather forecasts looking that far ahead are never accurate, so if anyone is living there and can tell me what its really like when it rains then i would appreciate that.

My main plan is to do some diving, so is this advisable as well?

thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

I've been to Lombok in January and April and yes there are storms not everyday but they happen the storms are short and heavy. We swam through a few big storms at Tanjung Aan and it was so fun! It will be hot and if you go between Nov and April you'll likely get some rain but don't miss out on seeing a remarkable place like Lombok cause of a bit of rain. There's photos in my profile from April 2014 and Jan 2013 if you want to have a look, here's one http://instagram.com/p/m4dsUwRd8s/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

That time of year is no problem. Unlikely to get a full day of rain. Likely sunny mornings, cloud coming over in afternoon, and sometimes it might rain. Other times not at all. Or it could rain in one place and not in another a few kms away, just like anywhere in the world.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

Thank you both for the useful info

I guess I will just take the risk and book it as from what you're saying the forecasts aren't that accurate

But out if interest, is anyone there now and can tell me what the weather is like now/last few days?

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

Where in particular? The weather can be quite different depending where you are.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

I was hoping to stay somewhere near/in Mataram city for easy accessibility to Gili Islands (for scuba)

Thanks

South West England...
Level Contributor
68 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

We are in Lombok at the moment and have been here for two weeks. Generally it's very hot with some cloud, thunder and rain but it's not rainy all day we have not been bothered by it at all. They do say towards the end of March April it hardly rains at all. It's really worth a visit

South West England...
Level Contributor
68 posts
65 reviews
7. Re: Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

We are in Lombok at the moment and have been here for two weeks. Generally it's very hot with some cloud, thunder and rain but it's not rainy all day we have not been bothered by it at all. They do say towards the end of March April it hardly rains at all. It's really worth a visit

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

Down on the south coast we have had very little rain only a few times a week, if that.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

Mataram is not the place to stay for access to the Gilis for scuba. If you mean the northwest Gilis, then stay around Senggigi. If you mean the southwest Gilis (lesser know, better for exoerienced divers) then stay around Sekotong. Or stay on the Gilis themselves.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Lombok- what's the weather really like?!

Thank you all for the weather updates

And for the location...

So would I not be able to access the Gilis for scuba if I stayed in Mataram City? Or is it just more difficult? As I found a great hotel there...

Thanks