We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to split time?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
How to split time?

Hello!

We are visiting Indonesia in August for our honeymoon, and have 6 days to spend on Lombok and Gilli's. We are both mid 30's, and not really just sit in the sun people, we'd like to do some exploring too.

My question is this: do we spend 2 days on Lombok, 2 on Gilli Air, and 2 on Gilli 2 or do we spend 3 on Lombok , then choose one of the gillis for the other 3?

If we only go to one of the gillis, which one? We are sociable and like to have a few drinks etc, but we also want a bit of peace and don't want to be kept awake by party people!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: How to split time?

Stay all 6 days on Lombok and plan in day trips to the northern gillis, but also the south west gillis. Then also do a couple of other days like waterfalls one day and South Lombok (amazing beaches) and weaving village another day. Have one day for relaxing by the pool, exploring local area.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
774 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: How to split time?

2 days let alone 3 days is not enough to do Lombok justice. As Sudiah mentioned try to allocate the majority of your stay on the mainland. You might find you'll be pressed for time seeing all the Gili islands, stick to just the one i.e. Gili T.

Have a look at staying in Kuta (Lombok) for 2/3 days towards the end. That way you'll only be 15 - 20 minutes from the beach to the airport when it's time to fly home!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: How to split time?

We can't decide which of the gili's, we're torn between air & t, does anyone else have any tips for me?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
774 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: How to split time?

@MarieHill78 - Since you'[ve mentioned you're on honeymoon & prefer peace & quiet why not go for Gili Meno instead? Gili Trawangan is known as the party island but with a few secluded spots out of the hustle & bustle.

Gili Air is a smaller version of Gili T but is slowly catching up whilst Gili Meno is known for honeymooners. Have a look at these past posts which may help your decision making:

…blogspot.com/2013/07/gili-trawangan-2011-pa…

…blogspot.com/2013/07/jbr-gili-air.html

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: How to split time?

Is there any merit to skipping the gillis completely and going to nusa lembongang (not sure on spelling) instead?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: How to split time?

Only if 1. You are staying on Bali. Lembongan is an island off the coast of Bali. The gillis are much smaller islands off the coast of Lombok. Lembongan is about beach life, as is the gillis although Lembongan has more surfing. It is bigger and has vehicles whereas the northern gillis have no vehicles or motorbikes of any kind.

2. If you want other activities other than hanging at the beach then you should stay on Lombok and day trip to the small islands off the coast. You said you want to explore. There is not much to explore on these small islands

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: How to split time?

We are starting on Bali for 3 days, I'm now thinking maybe 2 days sengiggi, 2 days gili air, 2 days Kuta, before we head back to Bali?!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
39 reviews
8. Re: How to split time?

I wouldn't do it because every day you change hotels is a wasted day. Up, pack, checkout at 10am, go to next place wait until maybe 2pm to check in. As I've said a couple of times, stay on Lombok and do day trips. Totally feasible to day trip to both gillis and Kuta from somewhere like Senggigi. Look at a nice hotel like Qunci in Mangsit. Just my advice having travelled a fair bit

9. Re: How to split time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 10:46