We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

Level Contributor
37 posts
To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

I will be traveling to Lombok from Taipei in Dec. It looks like I have to take an Eva Air flight to Bali/DPS and then a Lion Air flight to Lombok/LOP. I'll be booking the tickets separately on each airline.

If I arrive in DPS at 15:20 and the last flight to LOP is at 20:40 -- on the same day...

(1) ... Do I get a VOA in DPS or in LOP? After 4 days in Lombok, I plan to be in Bali for an additional 8 days. I am a traveler from the United States.

(2) ...Is that enough time to get a VOA in DPS, pick up our luggage from EVA, and check-in/board our Lion Air flight to LOP? Or does it make sense to spend the night at a hotel near DPS and take the first Lion Air flight out to Lombok?

(3) ...Any safety concerns arriving so late (at 21:10) in Lombok and getting to our hotel?

(4) ...Any concerns flying Lion Air after the crash earlier this hear near Bali?

Thank you so much for your help!

jakarta
Level Contributor
669 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

You could fly on AirAsia to Kuala Lumpur then to Lombok as well. You do not need visa on US passport in Malaysia. You apply VOA in Lombok. I think this is better connection. Check AirAsia website.

Edited: 02 June 2013, 10:06
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

good advice above especially the way you are riving to indonesia. connecting flights don't always happen eg delays or cancellations are not uncommon.

jakarta
Level Contributor
669 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

Maybe in December TigerAir start service to Lombok? Can have another choice Taipei-SIN-Lombok if this route start.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

As above I would definitely look into Tapei - KL - Lombok if you don't need to go to Bali. In that case you get your VOA on entry to Indonesia in Lombok.

If you do fly to Bali first then in answer to your questions above:

VOA - you get that on entry to Indonesia, which would be when you enter Bali. The VOA is for 30 days so you will be fine for your stay in Bali & Lombok (both islands in the country of Indonesia)

You said "If I arrive in DPS at 15:20 and the last flight to LOP is at 20:40 -- on the same day..." Pretty sure there is no flight from Bali to Lombok at 8:40pm at night. The very last flight to leave Bali is usually the Garuda flight which leaves at 5:45pm. There is occasionally a Merpati flight at 5:55pm although it is unreliable. The last Lion Air flight is the Wings Air flight that departs Bali at 4:50pm.

If you arrive at 3:20pm, you could make the Garuda flight at 5:45 if your flight is on time. Checkin closes at 4:45 so it would give you 1 and 25 mins to get through immigration, collect luggage, get through customs and walk down to the domestic airport. It is do-able, but if your flight is late you will miss your Garuda flight.

I have no safety concerns arriving at Lombok International airport - not sure what sort of concerns you have?? You arrive, exit and get in a taxi and go to your hotel. easy as.

Lion Air is in my opinion one of the best airlines for good aircraft in Indonesia. The planes are new, and I feel very safe on them. If you are referring to the accident at Bali airport, that was very likely a wind sheer and any aircraft anywhere in the world would have been affected similarly.

Level Contributor
37 posts
5. Re: To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

The TA community and forums are simply amazing!!

Thank you so much to everyone for your answers and travel tips!! So incredibly helpful!

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

Silk Air already fly Singapore Lombok so you still have the option of Taipei-Singapore-Lombok.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

Yes, Silk Air is also an option if you want to go via Singapore, I suggested via KL as you can travel on Air Asia from Taipei - KL - Lombok for around $300 US.

Level Contributor
37 posts
8. Re: To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

Thank you!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

Recently travelled DPS to LOP by Merpati then returned by Lion/Wings. Our Virgin flight from Perth arrived DPS on time but then was held for 20 minutes on the tarmac after being sent to the wrong gate. We thought we would miss our Merpati connection for sure and the scramble from International arrivals at DPS to the domestic terminal was a bit desperate but we found the Merpati flight was delayed - not unusual, apparently - and ended up 2 hrs late into LOP/Praya. Wings on return left and arrived on time. No complaints either way but the moral of the story is allow more time than you think you'll need for the connection - remembering there are more security checks and you have to pay the airport tax - and take a book! Excellent supply of travel maps and guides, bird books etc. at the book shops in both airports.

10. Re: To Lombok via Bali: when to get VOA + advice on travel times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 10:47