We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

Just wondering if the police office in Mataram issues SIM C (motorbike) licences?

I would like to do the test if possible.

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

I am sure they do. I get my SIM renewed at the local Praya office and they are now doing doing tests with an outside set up and testing on a simulator.

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

Thanks Gemma.

What exactly is involved when doing the test? and roughly how long does it take.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

You need to go to Polri (Lantas - SAMSAT) in Ampenan.

(There are 10 SAMSAT offices throughout NTB)

You can find SAMSAT on a small street that runs between Jalan Majapahit and Jalan Lanko.

It is the first street after the petrol station where the main road to Mataram and Cakranegara splits at Ampenan, and SAMSAT is on the western side of that side street. Look for it at around 8°34'42.31"S 116° 5'0.19"E if you have a suitable device, or put those coords into Google Earth.

If heading east on Jalan Lanko you must turn right just before the Police hospital and before you reach the Polda Base entrance, but after the Pos Polisi Ampenan (there is a Polisi sign in front of that).

If you overshoot your need to continue on past the Polda Base, turn right at Jalan Soeprapto and turn right again at Jalan Majapahit, then proceed past the entrances to the Polda base (it looks a bit like a military base) then take the first street on the right. It is about half way along the street.

Take your passport, a copy a photocopy of the photo page, visa page and immigration entrance stamp, plus a copy of your home licence (both sides) and preferably provide something that describes the licence class applicable to your own licence (ie car/bike).

There is a separate licence issued for cars and motorbikes (mobil [A] and sepedamotor [C]).

You may need to pay a fee for the medical examination and simulator test (Rp50,000).

You can probably get a 1 year licence issued to you if you have a SOSBUD visa, however a 60 day tourism visa or a VOA might be more problematic. No harm in trying though.

Polri LANTAS-SAMSAT) are also responsible for the issuance of the IDP, you might have a chance of getting one of those.

Don't ask too many people for help, don't ask too many questions, each one of them may result in a higher cost.

Go to the SIM loket, ask for the formulir for SIM C or SIM A.

They will not issue one for more than a year unless you have a residence permit (KITAP) so don't even bother trying.

Fill it all out, there is an office inside with a long counter. The officials all wear uniforms and look more like highway police rather than regular police, there is a certain swagger, and some of them are quite attractive looking female swaggerers.

As far as I am aware these are still the official rates:

As per : Sesuai PP No 50 Tahun 2010 tanggal 25 Mei 2010 tentang Biaya Penerbitan SIM Baru

1. Sim A  = Rp. 120.000

2. Sim BI = Rp. 120.000

3. Sim BII = Rp. 120.000

4. Sim C = Rp. 100.000

5. Sim D = Rp 50.000

6. Sim Internasional = Rp. 250.000

7. Klinik mengemudi = Rp. 50.000

Lombok is notorious for overcharging for these things, even police I know here end often up paying Rp300,000 for a SIM.

It should be Rp100,000, possible plus the medical and simulator fee (theory exam with [AVIS system]-Audio Visual Integrated Systems) Rp50,000 if they apply it.

Renewals are less, those are prices for a new issuance.

If anyone needs other prices such as for SMTK or SIM renewals look in the document linked below that has all of the mandated charges in it.

This fakhrial-trafficinfo.com/2010/09/mekanisme-p… is the workflow for obtaining a SIM from Lantas....perhaps consider printing this as it has the prices on it and a reference to the current guiding statute.

The full detail of Tarif berdasarkan Peraturan Pemerintah RI Nomor 50 Tahun 2010 tentang Jenis dan Tarif atas Jenis Penerimaan Negara Bukan Pajak yang berlaku pada Kepolisian Negara Republik Indonesia, is here... www.polri.go.id/unduh.php…

Around 2 years ago Deputy Director of Traffic (Wadirlantas) NTB Police, Chief Yusman Jaya, SIK made a public announcement regarding the scalpers present at NTB SAMSAT locations.

Anyone with an official role there is meant to be carrying an ID and as part of their process of getting ISO 9001: 2000 certification they had to carry out a transparency satisfaction survey.

Despite all this I still hear of people paying Rp300,000 or more for their SIM.

Print out the document linked above. Only go to the loket (window) don't accept any assistance from anyone, otherwise you are certain to pay more than Rp100,000.

Do be aware that your insurance company may not recognise this licence and demand that you have one from your home state, if so you cannot use that home licence in Indonesia unless you also carry an IDP of the same class. The Indonesian Police will be happy for you to have a local SIM, and pulling it out when stopped will generally see you on your way again, unless there has been an accident or you have done something really crazy, in which case you will not be placed at a disadvantage by having people suggest you were not correctly licenced.

If you are going to spend a lot of time on Indonesian roads it is not essential, but it is helpful to have a local SIM.

Also if the Police take it from you for some reason, then you still have your home licence and IDP to use either in Indonesian or elsewhere.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 11:03
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

Of course go to the SAMSAT in Praya if you are staying in Kuta.

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

JH How long do they issue a SIM for if you have a KITAP? Mine has expired and I have finally got my passport & KITAP back from my agent yesterday so can get my SIM renewed now.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

On a couple of the Polri info pages I have viewed they say only 1 year for KITAP holders, this is most likely just a typo arising from the author confusing the KITAS and the KITAP.

If you have a KITAP you are formally eligible for the foreigners KTP (WNA), that is meant to provide cause for a standard 3 year SIM issue.

In the relevant statutes the KTP is outlined as the qualifier for the 3 year SIM issue.

If you do not have a KTP, and I do not as I have in the past refused to pay the extortionate prices asked to produce one then try using just your SKLD.

This is after all a Polda document whereas the KTP is a Kantor Sipil issuance.

BTY the issue of the KTP (WNA-for foreign residents) has now been centralised to Gerung and is no longer done at a Kec level.

Perhaps they will stick to the official pricing in Gerung, I have not tried yet myself. The matter of KTP generation is much more formaiised now, that may help.

Take a copy of your Kartu Keluarga with you when you go to SAMSAT.

BTY as you may know the number issued next to your name on the Kartu Keluarga is your KTP number, even if you do not have a KTP issued it is this number that will appear upon it if it is, I think the last number in the NIK/NIKS detail (column 3) advances sequentially as per KTP renewal, so assuming your KTP is of a later issue then the NIK number would be your KTP number, if your went and got a KTP (WNA) issued.

Perhaps just turn up at the Praya SAMSAT with your KK and your 5 year SKLD. If you need to place a KTP number in a KTP field then use the one on your KK.

The SKLD provides essentially the same level of identification and formalisation.

If you have only just got your KITAP don't forget to go see Pak Panji at INTELKAM, you may already know how to find him at the back of the Polda Base, Jalan Langko 77, Ampenan/Mataram. You must of course register there for the SKLD formalities. (You have 30 days to do this).

For the SKLD you need to take a Surat sponsor (PM me if you do not have a copy of suitable text), photocopy of your KITAP, IMTA/TA01/TA02 (if you have an employer sponsored KITAP), Passport (the photo page and the one showing POA and your KITAS-KITAP conversion), Buku Biro/POA (you no doubt have a new one now), 2-3 passport photos (4x6) on a red background.

Take your old SKLD as well.

The SKLD fee is Rp200,000 for a KITAP (Rp100,000 is only for KITAS).

Do make sure there is no 'confusion' concerning the price, it is per ...

Sesuai PP No 50 Tahun 2010 tanggal 25 Mei 2010 - Penerbitan Surat Keterangan Lapor Diri

A. Pemegang Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap Per Kartu Rp 200.000

B. Pemegang Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas Per Kartu Rp 100.000

It is detailed in the same document as the SIM fees at ... www.polri.go.id/unduh.php…

As you are no doubt familiar, the SKLD takes a while to come back (maybe 30-60 days+), however they do provide you with the registration acknowledgment form which suffices whilst waiting for it.

PLEASE NOTE: all the info above will be completely meaningless unless you have a short term (KITAS) or long term stay permit (KITAP) and should be completely ignored for a short term visitor as it is just arcane information for someone with a KITAS/KITAP status.

Edited: 06 October 2012, 10:54
Lombok
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

Thanks JH My SKLD is being processed at the moment. I will into getting a KTP WNA when it is ready.

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

Thanks for the first lot of info JH.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

It's a pleasure astewart, I hope things go well for your visit.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Obtaining a motorcycle licence in Lombok

JH, I would just like to update you on all you mentioned about the 5 year licence with KITAP & KTP in Mataram. I have now attempted 2 times to get a 5 year SIm, first I went there armed with KITAP and all the other assorted information and was told that I had to have a KTP. Fair enough I went away and returned a few weeks later with KTP, KITAP, PASSPORT, Australian Drivers Licence and also the 1 year SIM for car and motorbike which had previoulsy been issed from the same place.

To my disbelief he looked at my KTP and then said they can not issue a 5 year sim because my citizenship was Australian on the KTP, I expalined that I am a permanent resident of Indonesia with a NIK No and KK etc and he still would not issue the 5 year SIM.

So please tell me what else can I do to make these people understand their own country law and regulations, is there any documents which I can take which would be easy enough for these people to understand.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am just fed up with all the unlogical people I am dealing with, especially Mataram,

Marty