We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

Hi all,

We are a family of 4 (2 school aged kids) starting to plan our trip to Bali in December, and am thinking of spending 5 of our 9 days in Lombok/Gili and half in Bali. We could stay for free on points at the Sheraton Senggigi, or pay to stay at the Gili Islands. Everyone raves about the Gili islands, but I saw one posting that someone snorkelled in front of Sheraton? Has anyone done this before, and can comment on the conditions at the Sheraton?

Is it vastly better to stay at the Gili islands than in Lombok? If not, then we may go the easy route and just stay at Sheraton Senggigi and take a day trip to the Gili Islands.

Also, how long do you travel by boat to get to the Gili Islands to snorkel?

Thanks!

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

You easily take day trips to the Gili islands. The better operators will supply life vests (good idea to ensure these are available) and arrange for snorkelling equipment if you do not have your own.

The boats need to be back before sunset for navigational and safety reasons but otherwise the boat should be yours for the day.

There are plenty of operators around Senggigi and many touts and 'guides' promoting the trips.

If you want some more certainty and a good guide then contact Eko, he is a very capable and focussed guide and will ensure that you have a good time. His rates are reasonable and he is highly recommended on these forums:

hp : +6281805711190 email : ekomangsit@yahoo.com http://www.facebook.com/ekomangsit

Don't bother snorkelling in front of Sheraton, the water is no good.

The hotel is OK though and is quite well situated in the township.

Their grounds are OK and they have a nice beach frontage.

Edited: 25 August 2011, 16:40
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

Thanks!! Do you know how long you have to sit in a boat to travel from Senggigi to a Gili to go snorkeling? My daughter and I both get seasick! Plus, in december, will it be choppy?

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

I have stayed several times at the Sheraton Sengiggi - and recommend the hotel. The pool area is very good.

I did a day trip to the Gili's - it was about 2 hours each way and in the afternoon got quite rough in the little boat.

I really enjoyed it - with waves breaking over the boat - but if you don't do boats well might not be a good idea

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

Yes the waves do start getting bigger, especially in late December and early January. The weather has got so unpredictable due to the extended LaNina that I wonder if it is possible to be accurate about this any more but that time of year normally has bigger waves.

Most certainly you should use one of the airlines if you are coming across from Bali, some details on their services can be found on this thread... tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297733-i9237-k401…

If you want to go to the Gilis and a water crossing from the mainland is concerning you then you could consider the quicker speedboat services available from Teluk Nare rather than using a traditional boat or the Public ferry service form Bangsal.

Dream Divers provide a speedboat service from Teluk Nare and I understand that they do pickups as well, including from the airport

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

Thanks all! Wow, 2 hours for the trip b/t senggigi and Gili Islands, that is really long. I was under the impression it was really close, I was hoping for under 1/2 hour! I may have to reevaluate whether we want to go to Senggigi at all, or maybe we just go spend 2 nights at Gili instead, since it's only 1.5 hours from Bali to Gili. All is very helpful, thanks!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

You can drive along the coastline and get a quicker boat trip from Bangsal or as the Lombok expert states Teluk Nare.

The boat trip I did was in a traditional outrigger boat which I chartered along the beach at Sengiggi.

It was a totally awesome day snorkling in the blue coral, swimming with turtlese, and I really enjoy the boat journey up the coast and then across to the Gili .

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

The trip mentioned above is a longer 'scenic' trip from Senggigi or Mangsit beach to Gili Islands.

It is normally undertaken in a traditional style outrigger boat leaving from the beach. They follow the coast northward to of-shore of Teluk Nare and then turn out westward to the nearby Gili Islands.

That trip takes longer as it follows the coastline north before making the short crossing to the 3 islands.

The alternative is to proceed up the coast to Teluk Nare or Bangsal by car or taxi.

The drive up the coast is very scenic and passes through traditional villages and very pretty beaches with great views from some of the headlands on the way up.

You can take a speedboat from Teluk Nare or if wiling to endure the high likelihood of being pestered and harangued by very persistent touts then you can go to Bangsal and take the public ferry for a price of Rp 8,000 to Gili Air, 9,000 to Meno or 10,000 to Trawangan. Tickets are for 1 way trips and are purchased from an official ticket selling booth at Bangsal. Journey time is around 45 min, faster with a speedboat. The inlands actually look close enough to swim to especially from the tip of Sire peninsular adjacent to Gili Air. The currents are deadly though, literally, so that is not a good idea.

The published travel times for the 'fast boats' from Bali are generally quite inaccurate, also a traveller needs to consider the total travel time as most people need to do a lengthy associated road trip to get to the boat departure point.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

looks like 001 and I were posting at the same time.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

Thanks! This is extremely useful information. Any clue how much a taxi will cost from Senggigi to the harbor and how long the drive will take?

10. Re: snorkeling in front of Sheraton Senggigi vs gili islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 20:51