We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Southern Lombok and Gilis a safe option?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Are Southern Lombok and Gilis a safe option?

Hi everyone,

First and foremost, my thoughts are with everyone affected by the earthquake and its aftershocks right now. I hope everybody's loved ones are safe.

We are due to travel to Gili T on 31st Aug, for 3 nights and then senggigi Lombok for 3 nights (3rd-6th September). No doubt about it, Gili T would need to be cancelled and potentially Sengiggi.

We are trying to think of alternatives. I know a lot of people are now changing their plans and flocking to Nusa Dua. We were thinking of still seeing Lombok - perhaps the south (Kuta?) and then go onto Gili Gede and Nanggu for day trips, potentially Gili Meno if damage isn't extensive and it reopens. Would this be wise given the situation or is it best to cut this segment and stay in Bali instead?

I've been keeping my eye on the forums but there seems to not be much info on Southern Lombok/Southern Gilis.

i understand it's a guessing game at the moment, but would really appreciate people's thoughts on this as I've not travelled this far before. Naturally we're uneasy but we'd love to see some amazing beaches and meet some incredible locals in Lombok/any Gili islands.

Many thanks

Edited: 07 August 2018, 18:23
7 replies to this topic
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4,659 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Are Southern Lombok and Gilis a safe option?

Not Nusa dua, but Nusa Lembongan or Nusa penida

Stay away from fake gated resort area which Nusa dua is

Southern Lombok and south west Gili are so far not effected

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Are Southern Lombok and Gilis a safe option?

South Lombok and Southwest Gillis are definitely an option. They need your support to avoid an economic disaster that will occur if everyone stays away because of the damage in the north of Lombok and northwest Gills.

Don’t go to Nusa Dua it’s really boring.

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
3. Re: Are Southern Lombok and Gilis a safe option?

Hi Lauren,

We're in a similar boat, due to stay at Gili Meno in the second week of September.

Our hotel (Karma Reef) has been providing facebook updates. They are closed for at least the next week, but I'll be keeping my eye on whether they reopen over the next few weeks as an indication of the state of Gili Meno.

https://www.facebook.com/karmareefgilimeno/

I'm also considering the possibility that there will be no fast boats running, due to the ongoing swells.

Hope your alternate plans work out ok!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
49 posts
196 reviews
4. Re: Are Southern Lombok and Gilis a safe option?

I also planned to be in GiliAir from the 7th of September and my hotel is keeping me up to date. They are closed until the 15 of August.

I guess I will have to wait and see how things develop.

I hope for the best, not really and not only for my holiday plans in Gili Air, but mainly for the people affected.

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
5. Re: Are Southern Lombok and Gilis a safe option?

p.s. I'm from NZ and have experienced a major earthquake where many people died, so I'm very very nervous about this trip. My husband is less so (he's British), but I worry about further earthquakes and aftershocks (which can be even stronger than earlier ones).

The epicenter could easily move closer to Bali next time. So I'm considering not going to at all (including Bali) and just losing money on our bookings and flights, but am willing to wait a few weeks to see how the recovery is coming along.

It's a tricky balance. Some people on the forums are saying that tourists shouldn't avoid the 'unaffected' parts of Lombok to ensure that our presence and spending can help with the recovery. But ultimately, it's unreasonable to ask anyone to put aside their personal safety when another earthquake is still probable, and could happen down south next time.

This is just my opinion and I don't intend to offend anyone, or to scaremonger. I also want to enjoy my holiday (honeymoon!) like everyone else who's made plans, but the implications of the earthquake have been on my mind a lot the last two days. So if my message resonates with some, then I don't mind coming across as selfish to others.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 20:31
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Are Southern Lombok and Gilis a safe option?

Hi Amy, it is a difficult circumstance and the choice is absolutely very personal.

I also lost family members during a earthquake so you do not come across as selfish at all to me.

I hope you will be able to make new plans and enjoy your honeymoon.

Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Are Southern Lombok and Gilis a safe option?

I also have plan to Gili T on 9-12 September, I still looking for updates on the situation at least for the next two weeks (i get a lot more updates on tripadvisor forum and instagram hashtags than the local news media).

And if by thay time Gili T not open for bussiness, then Southern Lombok and Southwest Gilis will be my options...

Ah, it is so heartbreaking.. Gili T always been my favorite island...

Reply to: Are Southern Lombok and Gilis a safe option?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted