We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5D/4N Trip to Komodo Islands

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
5D/4N Trip to Komodo Islands

Hi,

Planning a trip mid-Sep to check out the komodo dragons and do some snorkeling. We plan on flying in to and out of LBJ. We currently stay in Jakarta. We have 2 kids, 4.5y and 10mths. Few questions:

1) Is the trip doable and is navigating through the park safe with kids?

2) We plan on doing daytrips from LBJ, as liveaboard tours would obviously not work for us. What would be the must-sees that we can manage in this span of time, also considering the ages of kids in tow?

Any input would be much appreciated!

TIA

Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
5 replies to this topic
Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
23 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5D/4N Trip to Komodo Islands

I would not reccommend trips to Komodo NP with kids that small. To answer your questions.

1.Komodo dragons live on Rinca and Komodo islands (and a few on other islands). The dragons live in their own habitat and the only protection you have is a ranger with a v-stick. The komodo dragons can be very terrifying for kids of this age.

2. If you want to visit Komodo NP the most rewarding choice is still Padar/Komodo/Pink Beach/Manta Point, however very touristy these days and considering the heat of Labuan Bajo/Komodo NP also not a good idea for small kids in particular the one of 10 month.

Keep in mind that the sea between Flores and Sumbawa can be very rough and this part of the ocean is prone to currents and whirlpools. There are accidents from time to time. If you go I advise to check the weather the day before. Not all captains are experienced. Komodo NP is booming. Check safety first!

Although outside the area of Komodo NP a boattrip to the islands north of Labuan Bajo, even better Riung Marine NP is a good alternative.

Also check these parts of my website (informative)

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Labuan Bajo
Labuan Bajo
Flores, Indonesia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5D/4N Trip to Komodo Islands

Thankyou floressurgakita!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5D/4N Trip to Komodo Islands

Just wondering why you think that a live aboard is not possible? I have seen families with young kids (even younger than 4.5yrs old) go to Komodo National Park via a boat for a night or two. It's the best way to see the area. Especially if you are not planning to see the dragons you can spend more time relaxing on some of the other beaches and taking in the sights. If you go with a good guide/boat operator it's the best way to do it. I went with these guides: https://www.seeksophie.com/guides/560. Marsy was terrific! Great with kids!.

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
23 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5D/4N Trip to Komodo Islands

I do not say it is not possible, I only would not recommend to go to Rinca or Komodo to check out the komodo dragons (which was the question) with kids that small. We are talking about two kids and one of them is 10 month only. It is about the confrontation of small kids with komodo dragons in the first place. However, I also just cannot warn people enough to be alert of the conditions of the sea of Komodo NP. It is just a well meant and serious advice after traveling for years on Flores island and beyond.

There heve been accidents over the years with komodo dragons and on the seas of Komodo NP. Just an example.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4473224/Tourist…

Adults can manage their behaviour but no one can control the reaction of a child.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
357 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5D/4N Trip to Komodo Islands

Day trips are looooooooong! The islands are very far from LBJ. Either need to speedboat it, or it's a long day on a rickety (not super safe) boat. I would also suggest a more upscale liveaboard if you could afford it. They seem to take safety more seriously. Maybe you can arrange babysitting when you're on the islands. This area is all about the komodos, snorkel/scuba, and some hot uphill hikes, none of which are great activities for kids this age.

Reply to: 5D/4N Trip to Komodo Islands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Flores