We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Labuan Bajo to Maumere

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Labuan Bajo to Maumere

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Flores. It was an amazing journey. We strongly recommend that you consider including Flores on your itinerary if you are coming to Indonesia. After reading many different posts, I came up with an itinerary to allow us to travel from Labuan Bajo to Maumere without it being too exhausting. Here is what our itinerary was (so that anyone looking for ideas can be inspired!):

Day 1: Flew from Bali to Labuan Bajo

Day 2: Still in Labuan Bajo (Day tour to six sites in Komodo National Park)

Day 3: Driven from Labuan Bajo to Ruteng (about 4 hours)

Day 4: Driven from Ruteng to Bajawa (about 4 hours)

Day 5: Driven from Bajawa to Moni (about 5 hours)

Day 6: Driven from Moni to Maumere (about 5 hours)

Day 7: Relaxed in Maumere

Day 8: Relaxed in Maumere

Day 9: Returned to Bali

The drive time included stops to see some of the sites along the way. Pak Simi, our driver, was a very safe driver. Although the road conditions were much better than I expected them to be, some of the drops along the roadside were pretty scary. We agreed on the following price for his driving:

5,500,000 for 6 days of driving (2 days for Pak Simi to come from Maumere (his hometown) to Labuan Bajo and 4 days of driving with us).

We payed the cost of fuel which came to about 700,000

We also had to cover the cost of accommodation and food for 4 days at a cost of 1,000,000.

Total cost was 7.200.000 which comes to 1.200.000 per day. I read on a few posts that one can secure a driver for less than that. I was not able to find drivers at the rate these postings are promoting. Our driver did not speak English. That was ok since I am able to get by in Indonesian. If you want more information about Pak Simi, please contact me personally.

Flores offers incredible natural beauty. Although it is getting busier by the year, Flores still has its 'untouched' charm. In 20 years, Flores will probably be another version of Bali. The time to go is NOW!!!

Mentioned in this post
Flores
Flores
East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Labuan Bajo
Labuan Bajo
Flores, Indonesia
Maumere
Maumere
Flores, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Komodo National Park
Komodo National Park
667 Reviews
Komodo, Indonesia
Ruteng
Ruteng
Flores, Indonesia
Bajawa
Bajawa
Flores, Indonesia
Moni
Moni
Flores, Indonesia
2 replies to this topic
Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
23 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Labuan Bajo to Maumere

Hello gypsies2009,

Glad to hear you enjoyed Flores bud sad to read that you spend 1,2 miilion a day for tranport only.

A car (normal car like Toyota Avanza or Innova) with driver, including petrol, accommodation and meals for the driver should cost no more than an average of Rp 850.000 (when overland with a minimum of 4 days).

An average because they use different systems.

In case the driver has to come from another town, sometimes you have to pay for a so called empty leg (which is the dayprice) but this is always1 leg/day only.

For those who are interested in hiring a car with driver read this part of my website

https:/…

(halfway the page "how to....)

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Labuan Bajo to Maumere

Wow Floressurgakita. What a great informative website you have. I wish I had discovered it before my trip to Flores. You offer so much valuable information. Thank you for your comment to my post. The more info people can have in making their choices, the better.

Mentioned in this post
Flores
Flores
East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Reply to: Driving from Labuan Bajo to Maumere
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Flores