We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kueh Lapis in Batam Mega Mall next to Batam Centre Ferry

Sentosa Island...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Kueh Lapis in Batam Mega Mall next to Batam Centre Ferry

Bought a box before i return to sg in my last trip. Was alright when they packed it. But was ozzing oil when I open up the box upon returning. Some of my family had tummy problem after consuming.

Buy at your own risk.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kueh Lapis in Batam Mega Mall next to Batam Centre Ferry

Hi blue2coof,

I'm sorry about your experience with bad food in Batam.

One of the biggest problems tourist have about the island are sanitary issues, including dirty roads, restaurants, or even food prepared, handled, or stored in an unsanitary way.

When buying food, it is very important that you look around the food stand. Watch for dusty or dirty areas, or dirty employees (touching hair, face, etc). If they don't seem clean, chances are, the food is not if they had handled it.

I hope you will have the opportunity to visit Batam again despite your bad experience. Our developing city still has a lot to offer (cheap food and clothes!).

Batam, Indonesia
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kueh Lapis in Batam Mega Mall next to Batam Centre Ferry

I had no problem with eating the kueh lapis here, anywhere in Batam. The problem is, and only lies within you yourself and me myself. I am used to eating this kind of food, oily or so on, and you aren't. Which explains your stomach ache.

And @ beachbabe, Batam will NEVER develop if the attitude of people here doesn't change. Everybody here are always into money, cheating and corruption. One example of this was one particular day I was going to take a bus - those small minibus - to Mega Mall. And he parked right near the middle of the road, which causes a few jam behind and there happened to be a speeding rider cutting through cars that were slowing down. Upon seeing the parked bus, he panicked and lost control. He slid right pass the side of the bus and right under me for jumping up. The driver of the bus the got off and instead of asking "are you ok?" he questioned the rider "DID YOU HIT MY CAR?!".

You see, these people are not helping the development of Batam if they are GREEDY and always thinking about themselves. And there are LOADS of them here in Batam. Even the government.

Edited: 25 October 2010, 08:06
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kueh Lapis in Batam Mega Mall next to Batam Centre Ferry

Hi RichardBurnz,

Unfortunately, tourists are tourists, and locals are locals. What we are used to is not something which they can get used to, so the most we can do is advice them and help educate them about local environments such as what to look for when buying local food. Regardless, we still need tourists to buy our stuff and drive local economy to a certain extent. Tourism is always good.

Regarding the people, I feel that it has a lot to do with the mix of Indonesian and Chinese culture. Eg. if you're in China and the same thing happened, what do you think the chinese's response will be? I bet you it'll be the same as those in Batam, or even some parts of Asian countries. You know what? Even in the US, some people would respond the same way too ("did you hit my car?").

Greed is part of human nature. In fact, greed can be good :)

4. Re: Kueh Lapis in Batam Mega Mall next to Batam Centre Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 December 2012, 18:13
Batam
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Kueh Lapis in Batam Mega Mall next to Batam Centre Ferry

Illusion and impressions--

Do any of u know that even BS in Singapore does not bake their own kueh Lapis? It's exported from Batam.

6. Re: Kueh Lapis in Batam Mega Mall next to Batam Centre Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2011, 09:45
Get answers to your questions about Batam