We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

Bangkok, Thailand
11 posts
Save Topic
Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

Hi all,

I'm planning to rent a car to Bromo with 3 other friends but 2 of my friends have to come back to Surabaya to catch a flight, while me and my other friend will go to Malang afterward.

I'm wondering if I should come back to Surabaya with my rent-car then catch a bbus/rent another car to Malang

OR try to find a way to Malang from Bromo (bus/ car rent) ?

I can't find any information on travelling from Bromo-Malang yet.

Anyone could advise??

Thank you

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

Then why not use the same car rental (that takes you to Bromo) to drop your friend off at Surabaya and ask them to drive the rest of you in Malang?

Bangkok, Thailand
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

/because they charge us extra.

At first I asked them if we can go around Surabaya on that afternoon. They said that would charge us 200,000RP extra.

I haven't ask about Malang though....

I just thought it'd be cheaper to take bus or to leave from Bromo to Malang...

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

You can ask the driver to drop you off at Probolinggo bus station, and take PATAS bus to Malang. Remember, don't take economy bus, PATAS bus is much more comfortable.

Bangkok, Thailand
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

Thanks Radjaff,

Do you know how long does it take from Probolinggo to Malang and how often is the bus? Do they have bus schedule and how much does it cost ?

What about Batu ? Is there a direct bus from Probolinggo to Batu ? Or i have to go to Malang first?

I'm trying to compare the price between renting a car and taking the buses.

Malang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

Probolinggo to Malang = 2-2,5 hours. cost = Rp 15,000/person (economic, without AC or fan) and Rp 25,000/person (PATAS Bus / executive with AC). to Batu, you must change by "Mikrolet", a public minivan at Malang bus staion, cost = Rp 4,000/person. find Mikrolet with destination to "Landungsari Station". then from Landungsari, take Small Bus (named is Puspa Indah) to Batu, cost = Rp 5,000/person. hoped it will help you ..... wawan (Bromo area)

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

PATAS to Malang is every 1 hour while economy bus is every 10 minutes. The latest PATAS schedule CMIIW is around 3PM.

Bus from Probolinggo will arrive at Arjosari bus station, north of Malang. To go to Batu, you can take taxi directly. Usually you need to bargain, but it shouldn't be more than IDR 100K. Cheaper option is taking public bus in Landungsari bus station in the northwestern part of Malang. From Arjosari bus station to Landungsari bus station, you can take public transport/mikrolet, take the ADL route (around 1 hour). Other option is by taxi, much faster around IDR 40K.

Malang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

felt flashback to my living when i was in university in Malang. Radjaff was right, public transport (called ny Mikrolet or Angkot) to Landungsari is ADL (Arjosari - Dinoyo - Landungsari) and AL (Arjosari - Landungsari). ADL will through the simpler route than AL. Or, you may use taxi for direct transport from Arjosari (Malang Bus Station) to Batu

Bangkok, Thailand
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

Thank you all

This is very helpful

I asked the car rent company that I rent from Surabaya and they wanna charge us 525000rp for bromo to Batu and I feel that it is too expensive so I'm looking for other company to compare the prices or else we'd take the buses :)

What about buses from Malang to Surabaya ?

Is it better to take the bus or train? How long does it take? We'll need to go back to the airport in Surabaya to catch our flight at 15.25

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,291 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

Take the express bus from Malang to Surabaya.

Travel by road is very difficult to estimate travel time

Malang to Surabaya might take about 2-4 hours depend on traffic flow.

Since you are catching a flight.suggest to take the taxi.

If you take the taxi,it will take you directly from Malang to Surabaya airport without hassle,taxi will use the the new toll express way to airport by passing traffic jam.(2-4 hours travel time still apply due to traffic jam)

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surabaya-Malang or Bromo-Malang

You can take airport shuttle from Malang directly to Surabaya airport, no need to take the bus/train. Liza Tour (+62341333037) in Malang provides this service.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 10:53