We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for transportation Surabaya to Probolinggo

Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for transportation Surabaya to Probolinggo

Heading off to Indonesia soon but have yet to arrange transportation. Everyone has told me to not self-drive... mainly due to scams that involve "white person = your fault" syndrome where people target you as the law apparently is against you as a tourist (i.e. if you weren't there then an accident wouldn't have happened, irrespective of whether you're at fault).

Anyway, I'm trying to find transportation options for the following legs:

- Surabaya to Probolinggo

- Probolinggo to Banyuwangi

- Banyuwangi to Denpasar

Currently the preference is for a calm driver who can communicate in English and drives a decent modern safe car, as I have two seniors joining me and they are very apprehensive about getting in a car that is unsafe.

It doesn't have to be a car though, however I've read about the bus scams, the petty theft, etc. Comfort is a big consideration as well as the convenience to be able to stop every now and then to take some photos or go for a restroom stop.

I've looked around a fair bit, but there seems to be a LOT of shilling going on, and I have not received much assistance in trying to find a reputable company that can offer transportation options.

Appreciate any help people may be able to offer. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Surabaya
Surabaya
East Java, Indonesia
Probolinggo
Probolinggo
East Java, Indonesia
Banyuwangi
Banyuwangi
East Java, Indonesia
Denpasar
Denpasar
Bali, Indonesia
6 replies to this topic
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for transportation Surabaya to Probolinggo

Hi,

You can do the route by public transport, fairly easily. You don't say why you are going to Probolinggo, but I'll assume it's to go and visit Bromo. Otherwise you can simply go by train from Surabaya all the way to Banyuwangi and miss out Probolinggo as a stop..

Also you don't say where in Surabaya you will depart from. If it's from the airport, just grab a taxi from there to the bus station from one of the many agents inside. We paid Rp85,000 but were told we could have got one for Rp70,000. If it's the train station, just grab one from outside

Tell the driver to take you to the Purabaya bus terminal in Bungurasih. This is the name and location of the Surabaya bus station. You go through the bus station and head up the stairs/ escalator on the left and ask for the PATAS bus to Probolinggo. The bus takes about 2.5 hours and costs Rp30,000. Everyone there seemed helpful and trustworthy.

The bus station in Probolinggo is called the Bayuangga bus terminal. There is a big scam where all transport will stop outside tour agents, just before the terminal proper, and tell you this is the bus terminal - IT'S NOT. The proper bus terminal is further down the road on the left. If you have the Maps.me app then it shows the correct bus station. Be firm, do not get off on the main road, and tell them to take you there. When you reach the proper bus terminal the bus goes inside.

Do not take any advice from people in the terminal either even if people say you should. Walk out of the bus terminal back onto the main road and turn left .Just 2 minutes down the road there are a cluster of small shops/huts. In this area there are green bemos which go to Cemoro Lawang. They will leave when they are full or when you get enough people who agree to split the cost and are fed up waiting for more people. The whole van costs Rp500,000 split between 15 people (the number the driver wants) costs Rp35,000.

A bemo is a small minivan type vehicle

If you arrive into Probolinggo early enough you should be into CL the same day. You overnight and get up really early. If you take a jeep tour then you go and see sunrise, then climb the crater rim and can be back to CL in time for breakfast and catch the bemo back to Probolinggo that same day.

If the above suits you, let me know and I will continue on how to get from Probolinggo to Banyuwangi etc.

No point if you simply want a car and driver :)

Mentioned in this post
Probolinggo
Probolinggo
East Java, Indonesia
Surabaya
Surabaya
East Java, Indonesia
Banyuwangi
Banyuwangi
East Java, Indonesia
Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for transportation Surabaya to Probolinggo

great info thanks but still just looking for a car and driver

Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for transportation Surabaya to Probolinggo

You better hire a car and driver, but the price will be much more expensive than public trasport..

Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for transportation Surabaya to Probolinggo

there will be 3 people so the cost can be shared

Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for transportation Surabaya to Probolinggo

U can message me if u need some good driver who know java and bali..

Bromo Tengger...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for transportation Surabaya to Probolinggo

Looking for Taxi Bromo online for price comparison information

Reply to: Recommendations for transportation Surabaya to Probolinggo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted