We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

Hi everyone, just want to ask about several things before we travel to Bandung. We are 2 adult with almost 3 years old toddler and 8 months baby.

1- is it easy to walking around bandung with stroller? Esp shopping place, attraction n so on. Can i use stroller to kawah putih?

2- is it easy to find place/toilet with diapers changing table?

3- we are staying in unique guesthouse consider thats super budget accomodation, is it a suicidal choice for 2 small kids?

( only place for sleep n take a shower ) we will go out whole day long.

4- i did booking for car rent for 4 days in bandung, 1 day in puncak, and 1 day in jakarta with price all including : around bandung 400k per day, to puncak from bandung 550k, from puncak to jakarta 500k, around jakarta 400k. Is that ok price?

Thank you so much in advance, i am sooooo nervous and cant wait to go to bandung for the 1st time with my small family. I couldnt even sleep thinking bout this trip.

bandung
Level Contributor
209 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

Hi there, quick reply :

1. No

2. No

3. Yes

4. Puncak to Jkt too expensive

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

1) No, you need to go down quite a number of steps to the crater, to my knowledge.. Some of the nicer malls have lifts though..

2) No!! Changing tables for babies in malls is a 'luxury good' in Indonesia..

3) Staying at a nice hotel with proper lift will be a better choice with kids if you can afford it.. Make sure your guesthouse has a lift inside or located on the first floor and no taking the staircase involved..

4) I think the price is alright.. :)

Edited: 22 April 2012, 23:25
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,492 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

1/ no

2/ no,

3/<r thats super budget accommodation, is it a suicidal choice for 2 small kids?

it`s VERY irresponsible to be savvy when comforts/ health/ safety of YOU own kids is concerned.

4/ price is OK. But i have a feeling that you plan the whole trip to amuse YOURSELF having nothing in mind about comforts of your kids. It will be tedious/ tiresome/ exhausting and discomforting for them ONLY......................

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

Thank you so much and I really appreciate the help. So i can prepare for the worse :) Just want to ask if my plan is doable/need some advice also.

Here are the plan : 7 day 6 nights.

07 jun - thursday arrive in jakarta from KL at 1720 - unique GH

Direct to bandung with supir cost 650k idr. Find place to eat, shopping some groceries like bread, kids food, diapers, light snacks ( any suggestion on which supermarket open late at night coz im sure i will arrive so late ). check in and sleep.

08 jun - friday head up early morning to Kawah putih, strawberry farm, ciater (need advice about this place because still confius) read about people can choose good and private pool which one? how much? worth?, lake situ patenggang. (We want to have relaxing trip dont want to hurry of anything, which one place i should add/take out from my plan?) 400k idr supir.

09 jun - horror saturday (as i read in TA) saung angklung udjo (start at 1530 rite)? planning to really participate of all activities here what time should i be here? we plan also to visit university, mosque, museum, any suggestion on this as I can do on the same day - any special as a must visit? supir 400k idr.

10 jun - again horror sunday - thinking to go to Tangkuban perahu, but as i read alot of scam & peddlar who pushing people to buy their things makes me scare because im so hard to say no, any tips or advice?/ Other plan is to pamper ourself with some nice massage, searching for book store which is cheap and alot of choice (national/international/kids/religious/indo language) advice? Shopping surveniour keychain,tshirt,fridge magnet, bandung speciality. (where cheap and not rip off wallet?) Do any of you know any photo studio in bandung that provide any postwedding picture with the traditional indo outfit affordable price? i dream to have one as i adore traditional indo costume. 400k idr supir.

11 jun - monday - head up early morning to Puncak, check in Amazing bumi Caherang Hotel - right away to taman safari whole day there with the animal. Back to hotel and jump into swimming pool. 550k idr supir.

12 jun - tuesday - head up early morning to jakarta, check in take mansion, and no clue what to do, still reading some in TA. advise? 500k idr supir. We are not interesting to go to any theme park or water park. Love to visit museum, mosque, university, monas of coz and some Jakarta sightseeing perhaps for make eyes open. (advice)

13 jun - wednesday - Our flight to KL at 1850 - before also no clue what to do. but still on process to add on. 400k idr supir.

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts and advice really really appreciate it.

bandung
Level Contributor
209 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

hi there

07 : you better take some supplies from KL because the mini market which still open is circle K, and their prices is quite expensive rather than regular supermarket

08 : you better go to tangkuban perahu, ciater and strawberry farm in 1 day because it's in 1 location at lembang, and not on weekend

09 : u want to plan a visit to a museum ? uni ? mosque ? hmmm....what museum ? geological ? stamps ? konferensi asia afrika ?

go to ITB campus ? for what ? looking at their architectural ?

and mosque ? actually, here we have not really spectacular one.

and i think we dont have studio photo that you can take picture with sundanese outfit

for souvenirs, you can go to ciwalk to buy magnetics / key rings at a shop near hoka2 bento

going to kawah putih / situ patenggang on weekend is quite complicated.

are you sure you dont want to include shopping destination for this trip ?

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

1) For practical reasons, it is better to eat at the highway from Jakarta to Bandung.. Ask the driver where KM19 petrol station and rest stop at the Cikampek Toll Roads.. There are a few restaurants that are clean there.. There are a few minimarts there to buy some basic groceries.. but bring a few diapers and baby food along before you arrive..

2) If you want to go to Kawah Putih, avoid Ciater because it is not on the same route.. Going to Kawah Putih on friday is fine..

3) The only viable campus visit is Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia in Bandung.. where the famous Villa Isola is.. an Art Deco building built during colonial times.. It is located on the way to Lembang..

4) Regarding the tangkuban Perahu trip.. Would you rather be tough with them or be scammed while being kind??? Just stay in the main crater alright..

5) InJakarta.. have a look at Istiqlal mosque, one of the biggest mosque in ASEAN region.. Kota Tua and Monas..

Cheers..

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

Thank you denimBandung and Stefzzz for your kind answer,

- Noted to prepare basic stuff right from KL, and we will stop to eat at the highway, complete the basic groceries at mini market while stop there. Check in Hotel. Settle day 1. Thank you for advice!

- Oh, sorry I must be wrong about Ciater, thought its on same route with Kawah Putih, so I will only cover Kawah putih area, Strawberry farm there, and lake situ patenggang. (because we only have friday available, so can only choose between Kawah putih/Tangkuban Perahu). Even the real plan is to cover both area but want to avoid traffic on saturday/sunday to those attraction. // Now i realize i choose wrong travel time should start on monday instead of thursday! //

- Photostudio (out) :( My main on this trip does not include shopping, but really looking foward to buy alot alot alot of books, any good bookstore with cheap price in bandung/jakarta? Need to bargain on books?

- Survenir shop near hoka2 bento is fix price or need to bargain? im so worse in bargaining things.. hates to do that, will ended up like hanging myself on tree. So I really want place with fix n good price. (any tips on bargaining for dummies?)

- Any special museum in bandung/jakarta that might give interest for kids especially? University there not able to visit? ( ok out ) perhaps just take some photo on special architecture sight.

Istiqlal Mosque - noted

Kota tua - noted

Monas - big noted

Any other special attraction/place that might interest for kids that we cant find the same/better than Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, or Thailand?

Do Bandung have special kind of satay? We really enjoy to eat satay, any recomment satay place which is reachable from our GH?

Thank you so much, its really helping!

-Need to remake my plan again.-

Edited: 25 April 2012, 12:10
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

Book shopping: majority of Indonesian bookstore chain supply Indonesian book, and you can find imported book at bookstore chain such as Kinokuniya, Times, and Periplus. However, prices are not cheap for imported books.

Souvenirs at bandung (the one that has been referred is located inside Cihampelas Walk shopping mall) - it is of fixed price with price tag on it, price might be more expensive. In Jakarta, you can find lots of souvenir selection from all over Indonesia (including Bandung) at Sarinah department store - again, price is fixed.

Museums - nothing much is interested as quality is way below international standard. Some that have undergone refurbishment and feature few interactive exhibits: Puppet Museum (Museum Wayang) and Museum Bank Indonesia in Jakarta Old Batavia area. You can also visit Jakarta History Museum which is housed at the old town hall (I do not recommend bringing toddler and baby here as they can see "things" and there are lots of "things" around Old Batavia area). Your kids are too small to enjoy any of these and rather I'd suggest to visit shopping malls as they have section featuring playland with few rides - in Bandung, head to Trans Studio Bandung (indoor theme park with few kids rides) and in Jakarta, head to playland at Grand Indonesia shopping town or Plaza Indonesia

Satay is one of Indonesian dish and you can find it everywhere. Bandung does not have specific satay, but you can easily find people sell chicken or beef satay.

bandung
Level Contributor
209 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

well,

we have cheap book market : palasari or cikapundung street, but it's only for local :D , means not a perfect place to buy qood books. you better shop at KL / singapore. our biggest book store is Gramedia, at jalan merdeka. but in jakarta you can find kinokuniya / times/ periplus/ aksara ,etc. all fixed price.

any shop at mall / shopping centre is fixed price also

for toddlers that young, i guess they don't understand if you bring them to museum here. maybe go to the ranch ? they can dress like a cowboy and ride a horse around the park.

one of the best satay in bandung is at jalan maulana yusuf dago, while in jakarta you can try at sate senayan

bandung
Level Contributor
209 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bandung trip on june with baby and toddler

"(I do not recommend bringing toddler and baby here as they can see "things" and there are lots of "things" around Old Batavia area)"

hahaha....so true and so spooky !