We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EArthquake

Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
EArthquake

Hi all, recently there is earthquake & tsunami in bali & Lombok. Just wanna ask will / is bandung affected ? I am flying off on this coming Thursday to bandung.

Pls enlighten me, Thank you

12 replies to this topic
Kerobokan Kelod...
Level Contributor
10,774 posts
206 reviews
1. Re: EArthquake

Hi,

There was a large earthquake off northern Lombok. There was briefly a tsunami warning but that is lifted now.

Bandung is in West Java and a long, way from the epicentre on a different island and they would not have been affected there.

Cheers

2. Re: EArthquake

Bandung is too far from lombok and completely safe..

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
882 reviews
3. Re: EArthquake

No, Bandung was not affected at all by the earthquake nor the tsunami. It is 1,250 km from Lombok on the west side of Java island and I don't think the earthquake was felt out here by anyone. Secondly, Bandung is not on the coast and it's elevation is 768 m (2.520 ft) above sea level and it is surrounded by mountains, so tsunamis cannot affect Bandung.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
882 reviews
4. Re: EArthquake

Having said that, we do get flooding sometimes and we have a lot of huge old trees throughout the city which can fall onto the roads during storms.

1 post
5. Re: EArthquake

Since you have mention that bandung do have flooding so mostly which months tbat happen to have flooding? We are flying to bandung in december this year....

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
882 reviews
6. Re: EArthquake

It can happen in the rainy season, but actually in the city itself the flooding is minor and cars can still mostly drive through it. The reason there is flooding is because when there is a storm the rain is really heavy and I guess the drainage system cannot deal with it as well as it should. Trees sometimes fall and cause damage to cars and buildings, but that is only during storms.

There is a spot between Paris Van Java and the Zest Hotel where the road is low and this sometimes gets flooded but there are plenty of other routes to avoid this road.

Most of the bigger flooding problems occurs in the outer low lying villages. I have workers renovating a house and when flooding is bad they sometimes cannot come in, but it's unlikely you will visit those areas.

Since Bandung is on the side of a hilly area, then the roads that lead up the hills can become very wet with runoff water. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it as taxis and private drivers know the short cuts to avoid these places.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: EArthquake

Thank you. We are visiting Bandung in mid Dec so I hope all is okay there. May God protects and bless Indonesia and its people.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
882 reviews
8. Re: EArthquake

I am sure you will enjoy Bandung. People come here for the shopping, food, cool climate and to visit the many sights and attractions in the hilly areas and countryside. Just let us know if you have any more enquiries.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: EArthquake

Thank you. :)

1 post
10. Re: EArthquake

Hi

Me n family wiill be gng in Dec for holiday.

Gng to visit north and south bandung attrction.

Any recommendation how to engage car and driver ?

Thanks

Ros

Reply to: EArthquake
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted