We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Queries from Bandung

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Transportation Queries from Bandung

Hi, all

I'm planning a trip to Bandung with my daughter in mid Aug. As this is our first time to Bandung, I'm hoping for some help and advice in planning our trip.

We plan to spend 5 nights total on our trip and in addition to spending time in Bandung City Centre, we would like to visit

(a) Kawah Putih, Situ Patenggang, any nearby tea plantations & strawberry farms in Ciwidey

(b) Tangkuban Perahu & Maribaya Waterfall in Lembang

I'm wondering if we should just plan to hire a car + driver and do 2 separate day trips from Bandung to see the attractions mentioned above or if it's better to stay a night each in Ciwidey and Lembang. We have already identified some places to stay there but are concerned if transportation will be an issue. We will need to get transportation from our hotel in Bandung to the hotel in Ciwidey (will probably not be a problem) but upon check out the next day, we will need to find our way from Ciwidey to our hotel in Lembang (the hotel in Ciwidey doesn't arrange transportation apparently). Later in Lembang, we will again need to make arrangements to go back to Bandung upon check out.

Is it worth it in your opinion to stay the night in both Ciwidey and Lembang or should i just base ourselves in Bandung and do day trips? Will doing day trips be sufficient time to visit most of those attractions listed above?

If the option of staying in Ciwidey and Lembang is possible, do you have any suggestions how I can arrange for transportation to get from place to place? I presume ride-hailing services like Grab will not be readily available there.

Appreciate any advice you can give in helping me decide where to base ourselves during the 5 nights.

Thank you!

19 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
1 post
1 review
11. Re: Transportation Queries from Bandung

I am staying at an AirBnB, and the host doesn't speak English well enough to help me hire a car.

Any tips which hotels I can go to the desk in order to organize a car with an English-speaking driver?

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
117 reviews
12. Re: Transportation Queries from Bandung

<<ny tips which hotels I can go to the desk in order to organize a car with an English-speaking driver?>>

Swiss Belhotel, for example. Sensa, Grand Preanger etc...

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
839 reviews
13. Re: Transportation Queries from Bandung

All big hotels have good English speaking staff, but it's whether they want to help someone who isn't staying in their hotel. Close to the Grand Preanger is the Mercure City Centre hotel which is less than a year old and have extremely friendly and helpful staff. Btw, which part of Bandung are you staying? Near where?

Bandung
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
14. Re: Transportation Queries from Bandung

Is it worth it in your opinion to stay the night in both Ciwidey and Lembang or should i just base ourselves in Bandung and do day trips? Will doing day trips be sufficient time to visit most of those attractions listed above?

is this means you can change your hotel ? if yes, then better stay in bandung city. you can avoid some trouble.

Terrigal
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
15. Re: Transportation Queries from Bandung

I am going to Bandung again in August also!!

When I was there in April my friend and I spent 1 night in Lembang and I really loved that. I personally was over fighting the traffic every day in Bandung and the trip away was go refreshing. In fact I started walking a lot IN Bandung cause I was so over the traffic!

I agree don't go to Lembang on the weekend.

If you decide to stay in the city and do day trips be prepared for wasting lots of time in traffic getting to and from Lembang each day. I would recommend going to Maribaya Lodge, Kebun Begonia, Dusun Bamboo and also Gracia Spa Resort for the hot springs. There are lots of other places too. We had dinner at the ROXO restaurant right up high on the rocky hill. On another trip we took an andong ride around the city centre which was delightful. The Lembang floating markets sell the best baked banana snacks ever so make sure you get a few boxes to take home... if they last that long!

Terrigal
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
16. Re: Transportation Queries from Bandung

Also, you can get a grabcar no problems up in Lembang to get you around. We took a grab car back down to the city on our last day.

Just download the app once you arrive. You can choose to pay the driver cash (with a little tip is nice) Most of the grab drivers are young guys who need to pay off their new flashy cars! Have a great time!

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
17. Re: Transportation Queries from Bandung

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. We are leaving for Bandung tmr and are really excited.

We will be staying the first 2 nights in Bandung and have managed to secure a car+driver for the next 2 days to take us to Ciwidey and Lembang. On Day 3 we plan to leave super early and make our way to Ciwidey and visit Kawah Putih and perhaps Situ Patenggang. After early lunch we will drive straight to Lembang and stay the night in Lembang. Perhaps go to the Floating Market for dinner and visit the Maribaya and Rainbow waterfalls either that day or the next day depending on the time. Early on Day 4 we will try to catch the sunrise at Tebing Keraton then go back to the hotel for breakfast and check out to leave for Bandung for the next 2 nights. Have decided to skip Tangkuban Perahu cos we weren’t too keen on being “harassed” by all the vendors we read about on online reviews. Seems like we are planning to pack too many places to see on Day 3 and 4 while we have the car+driver but we’ll just play it by ear and see how it goes with regards to timing. We won’t be too crushed if we don’t get to visit everything on our list 😊

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
839 reviews
18. Re: Transportation Queries from Bandung

Sounds great, and enjoy the cooler weather when you are in Bandung.

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
19. Re: Transportation Queries from Bandung

We plan to. Thank you!

Reply to: Transportation Queries from Bandung
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bandung