We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - a long weekend in Bandung - FYI

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
100 posts
41 reviews
Trip Report - a long weekend in Bandung - FYI

Hi TA Members,

Returned from a 3D/4N long weekend trip to Bandung last month, and thought of sharing my trip report here to help others who are planning their getaway. Before I proceed - Thank you to all who helped me with my itinerary planning earlier by providing feedback on my forum posts!

Day1 : The 3 of us - my mother, my daughter & me, flew from SG to Bandung, arrived late in the evening. The hotel we booked - Padma - provided free airport pickup & drop (this was one of the reasons I gravitated towards choosing this hotel even though it was a tad expensive compared to others in the area). After checking-in we just strolled around the hotel property and rested, dined at The Restaurant @ Padma.

Day2 : Rented a car for the full day. First stop - Lembang Floating Market. I had almost considered striking off this place from my itinerary earlier but so glad we eventually went. The flower gardens are lovely, and my daughter had fun feeding bunnies, birds and sheep. We spent a couple of hours here but you can surely spend half a day easily checking out the various attractions within the floating market area - mini train, animal feeding, arcade games, etc etc. Almost each section is individually ticketed so you can choose where you want to go. Paddle boats can be rented. Lot of street food options (though we didnt sample any as we are vegetarian). What I really liked was that the 25k IDR entry ticket could be exchanged for a free beverage inside! Great stop if you have kids.

Next stop was Dusun Bambu, a family leisure / entertainment park which again consisted of various attractions each with its own ticket. It has play areas for kids, an area to interact with bunnies, a tree-house style dining setup, carousell type rides for kids, etc. We spent just about an hour or so here (though you could spend a few hours).

Next stop (almost) was Jendela Alam, a farm. We arrived there at 4pm thinking it closed around 5:30pm, however we were told by the parking attendant that the closure time had been changed to 4:30pm, therefore we did not alight from our car and left. Made a brief stop at one of the zillion plant nurseries in that area to pick up a couple of plants. Our driver then took us to 'Secret', a factory outlet selling multiple brands (at a cheaper rate than Singapore). After another stop for dinner, we returned to the hotel.

Day 2 : Rested at the hotel and enjoyed various in-house free activities there - feeding fish, bunnies, goats. Zipline. Nature trek. Playground.

Day 3 : Rented a car again and traveled 2hrs to Kawah Putih, a volcanic lake. Its high sulphur content gives it an ethereal, milky appearance. We stayed at the lake only for 15min as instructed, as it can may get difficult to breathe. This is a great place for photos.

Then went to Situ Patenggan, a large lake, where you can take a stroll or go on a boat ride. Nothing special here, if you have seen other mountain-lakes before. A large ship has been created and placed on land, near the lake - it is a restaurant for tourists.

Next stop was Ranca Upas, where you can feed veggies to deer and walk around with them. Luckily it hadn't rained, else it would not be possible to walk on the grounds there without boots. Some of the deer there can get quite pushy / rowdy in an attempt to get food from you so stay alert, especially if you have kids, and always accompany them. There are many other activities / rides near Ranca Upas which you can check out if you have time.

On the way to Ranca upas there are several strawberry farms where you can pick strawberries for a fixed fee, however we didn't stop there as it was off-season anyway.

Last stop for the day was Rumah Mode, another mall-style outlet where we enjoyed shopping for my toddler. Returned to the hotel and left Bandung next morning.

Car rental info : As I didn't manage to get any individual driver contacts before my trip, I booked cars via Mulia and Dirgantara agencies - google their contacts - both are reachable on whatsapp. One was satisfactory while the other was excellent. Will not be posting driver recommendations here, as I observe it is not welcomed by the moderators. However if you need the info please feel free to PM me, I can pass you the recommended, English-speaking driver's contact, and you can most probably negotiate a better rate by booking him direct rather than booking via the agency.

Other info : This is very annoying but you have to pay parking fee literally everywhere in Bandung - not just at the attractions (which makes sense), but also when you stop your car for 1 minute outside any Indomart convenience store! Therefore if you can shop for water/snacks etc in one go, rather than stopping several times, you would save yourself a few thousand Rupiah. Note that traffic on weekends can get pretty bad, so do not plan too many things in a day.

Hope this helps ! Happy travels !

Cheers

5 replies to this topic
Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report - a long weekend in Bandung - FYI

@mangowhere, hi

Nice report. Thanks for posting.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
870 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report - a long weekend in Bandung - FYI

Hi Mangowhere,

Very happy that you enjoyed your stay in Bandung. I've stayed at the Padma too and also really enjoyed it, especially the grounds, restaurants and afternoon tea with the beautiful views.

Yes it's true that you need to pay for parking almost everywhere. The guys that collect the payment are also helping with stopping the traffic when you want to exit the parking or doing U-turns too, but the payment is really for the parking. Unfortunately that is one reason why the traffic is slow in Bandung.

Living here I pay out Rp2,000 notes many times everyday, but the way I see it is that I'd prefer to pay these guys small money like this than have them doing crime or begging on the streets. Some of them are also old men and I actually admire them for doing this in order to make ends meet. For the ones I know well, I usually give them Rp5k or Rp10k.

Same goes for pedicabs which are usually pedaled by old men. The Mayor wanted to stop them from doing this but they objected because it was the only way they could make a living at their age.

Anyway, thanks for the great report.

Level Contributor
15 posts
3. Re: Trip Report - a long weekend in Bandung - FYI

Hi, Can you share from where did u rent car+driver and what was the cost? I m travelling from 26 to 29 May

Edited: 17 May 2018, 06:04
Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report - a long weekend in Bandung - FYI

Hello

How to hire a car+ driver in BDG:

Golden rule: one man`s meat is another mans`s poison. Recommendations from member to member usually do not work well. One driver may work perfectly for one traveler, but you absolutely hate him, and being stuck with an unpleasant person in a car for the rest of your vacation is not a recommended travel experience.

TA by rule does not support any sort of advertising or illegal service promotions. To hire a car+ local driver you have several options:

## ask your hotel front desk/ reception. Upon arrival or in advance, your choice. If Sheraton has already quoted a steeper price ( indeed 920k sounds harsh), email them and say you have a cheaper offer but you are happy to rent from them if they match the price. Asking never hurts. At most they say "no"..

## Google the question, contact 2-3 local rentals for quotation and terms.

Note: do not agree on any deposit, prepayment, bank transfer etc. All payments are done on the spot after the service is completed and you are happy with the results.

The usual price is around 500-650k idr for 8-10 hours. When you get the quotation from the rental services you are welcome to ask our advice, if needed, of course.

## avoid like a plague anyone who tries to approach you via this forum or PM with various offers: car, guide, travel assistance etc. All scammers. Legal businesses do not operate this way. Stay on the safer side of the road.

If anyone tries to approach you with assurance that he is a TA recommended driver ( there is no such thing in principal) or his is recommended by DEs ( DEs do not compromise their position) etc - this is a lair and a cheat. Please report immediately.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
100 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report - a long weekend in Bandung - FYI

Agree Schonefeld - never to make an advance deposit.. the driver may not care to turn up..

Reply to: Trip Report - a long weekend in Bandung - FYI
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bandung