We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

Hi there! I will be in Ubud next year for Nyepi and was after general recommendations or tips - essentially what should we expect and is there anything you definitely recommend doing or avoiding during this time?

We arrive on the 4th so will be there 3 days before and leave on the 9th.

Many thanks for your time :-)

21 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
11. Re: Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

Thank you so much everyone - this is a big help in terms of being aware about the electricity, ATM's possibly being down etc.

We elected to visit Bali during this week with the intention of experiencing Nyepi so for us the downtime and overall experience is welcome - I can't wait to see the stars!

@BundyRed - hopefully some of this information helps you too in terms of disruptions the day prior and after.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,579 posts
129 reviews
12. Re: Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

I love Nyepi and the Melasti ritual processions in the days leading up to Nyepi. I love the Ogoh Ogoh displays and parades and the village celebrations and dances the next before. I love the wonderful peace and time to meditate and just relax and appreciate life in Bali. The stars at night are wonderful but sometimes I'm just too mellowed out to even notice!

13. Re: Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 November 2018, 11:35

Worcs
Level Contributor
5 posts
73 reviews
14. Re: Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

I have been in Ubud for the last two years at Nyepi and think it is a wonderful time to be there. For days if not weeks before you can see the enormous Ogoh Ogoh being prepared in the villages and then the evening before the holiday these are paraded through the streets with musicians making as much noise as they can to frighten off the evil spirits. Ubud parade is huge and meets on the football ground before heading back out into town. It is very crowded and very loud but an amazing spectacle. If the crowds put you off each village area has a parade, we followed the one going up Sangigan which was much smaller but just as wonderful.

Nyepi day itself is peaceful, the air is clear and the stars at night brilliant. We think the internet went off for some time last year but as it was intermittent where we were staying it was hard to tell. I think there might be an issue if you wanted a driver the day before to go any distance as most are busy with temple or village business.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
702 posts
617 reviews
15. Re: Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

Wow , great replies , cheers everyone and to Kate for starting this thread.

Looks like I’ll be in Ubud at the football oval on the 6th and I’ll make plans to transfer into Legian on the 9th , now somewhere to stay in Ubud....

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
39 reviews
16. Re: Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

I’ve been in Ubud for Nyepi a couple of times, the ATMS stop at around 1-2pm the day prior. Last time, we had a villa and stocked up on food and snacks from the supermarket the day prior. On the evening prior we loved the Ogoh Ogoh parade, there’s a big one in Ubud central, but I really loved the smaller one in our villa of Penestanan Kaja .. very much a community fun event. Nyepi day itself we hung out at our pool, read, and chilled. Amazing so quiet. We had power and wifi. The following day we transferred to Lembongan and it was business as usual. On Lembongan the power goes off and there’s no wifi.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
61 reviews
17. Re: Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

Hi Caroline, you say that you arrived the night before Nyepi. That's what we will do next March and I am wondering how difficult it is to get a taxi at the airport to go to Ubud at 10 pm? What was your experience this year? Thanks

Perth
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
18. Re: Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

Hi Trudy. We arrived around the same time. Had no trouble getting a taxi to go to Sanur. Just make sure you have cash for the trip. Caz

Perth
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
19. Re: Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

I just realised you are going to Ubud which is a good hour away. Maybe see if you can find a private driver who lives in Ubud. Pretty sure everyone has to be off the road by 12. But there were people everywhere offering transport when we arrived. Cant imagine it would be a problem.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,579 posts
129 reviews
20. Re: Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?

Nyepi starts at 6 am not midnight, so cars will still be able to be on the road until sunrise. If you get an airport taxi you will be more likely to get a non-Balinese who wont' have as many family and village obligations in their home village. On the other hand, your accomodation can most likely prearrange someone from their car and driver lists who will want the job, as long as they know in advance. With the Ogoh Ogoh parades some streets are closed until late night but by the time you get ouf ot he airport it should be fine.

Reply to: Nyepi 2019 - What to expect?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ubud