We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

London, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
147 reviews
Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

Hello,

I'd welcome any feedback on my planned itinerary for 3 days in Ubud as below. To note I will have already visited South Bali earlier in my holiday where I plan to visit Uluwatu and Pura Tanah Lot. Anything obvious that I'm missing or could be planned better?

Day 1:

Flight lands in DPS @ 08:55 (Domestic).

Travel to Ubud - arrive @ 11:00? Check in to Sapodilla Ubud. Book Mount Batur hike.

P.M. Visit Monkey Forest (is it worth it with the troublesome monkeys)? Tegalalang Rice terrace (Again is it worth it with the hassle for donations)? Pura Gunung Kawi, Tirta Empul Temple.

Early night for Mount Batur hike.

Day 2:

Mount Batur hike - pick up at 02:00 a.m.

Massage in afternoon with a wander around central Ubud.

Dance Show in the evening - Ubud Palace?

Day 3:

Early start with taxi booked for the full day (approx 600K IDR)?

Goa Gajah, Jatiluwih Rice terrace then Pura Luhur Batukau.

Gigit & Sekumpul waterfall

Bedugal

Munduk inc Waterfall

Day 4:

Late check out. Travel to DPS for a 16:00 international flight.

Thanks

John

19 replies to this topic
Orange County...
Level Contributor
839 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

I'm no expert (still planning myself), but from what I understand, Day 3 won't be possible with all of that. Especially since Sekumpul alone can take 3-6 hours from my understanding.

Also, I believe that Goa Gajah does not open until 8am, so depending on how early your "early start" is, this may not be an option for your first stop.

I'm sure other, more experienced experts will weigh in, but my best guess is that you could probably fit these into your full day (10 hours) if you do each stop rather quickly: Goa Gajah, Jatiluwih Rice, Pura Luhur Batukau, Bedugal (assuming you mean Ulun Danu Beratan), & Gitgit OR Munduk waterfall (you will have to choose 1, or remove other items instead).

Have you shared your proposed itinerary with the driver you've hired? I'm sure they could give you great feedback on what they think could be accomplished on this day as well.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

Day 1. Not really possible. Check in will be 2pm - the usual time in Bali, unless you've made arrangements to access your room earlier. Drive to Monkey forest and say 1 hour visit there, which is not long allowing for the temples etc to see as well. Drive to Tegallellang, 30-40 minutes, stay ??? Drive to Gunung Kawi, 30 minutes, time there (allowing to go up and down 300+ steps), 2 hours minimum. Drive to Tirta Empul, stay??? Drive back to hotel. depending on traffic 40 minutes. Cut out half your plans.

Day 2 Avoid dances at Ubud palace unless you are ok to be with a lot of bussed in tourists. Consider the ARMA, just steps from your hotel

Day 3. This is a massive day. You'd need to leave by 6am to have a hope of trying to fit it in. Do allow that you might be very tired after the 2am start the day before and not getting to bed until late after the dancing then dinner. It's not really a sensible plan and doesn't allow you any time to spend at each place. If you want to see all of Sekumpul for example, allow 3 hours. and 2 hours for all of Gitgit. I'd cut out half of your plans. You could add Goa Gajah onto your transfer in, while you're waiting to check in to your hotel.

Day 4. You don't need a late checkout. Leave Ubud at 11.30am to be at airport 3 hours before your flight.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

HI John,

Day 1 PM not possible.

Day 2 if wandering around Ubud you can visit the monkey forest if that is what you want.

Day 3 Not possible even with an early start.

Day 4 cbimages is correct. You do not need late check out.

australia
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
4. Re: Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

Hi John, Lynne and cbimages have given you wise, knowledgeable advice. Long time travellers and contributors to TA. Rethink. Good luck.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 05:47
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,423 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

Agree with everyone above, regarding trying to see too much every day, You will be rushing around way too much.

Tegallalang Ceking: It's a beatiful view and you don't need to pay any donations unless you actually want to walk through the rice fields. It's something that is relatively new with people wanting selfies. I always just look at it from the sidewalk in front of the cafes and sometimes get a drink to relax.

I usually do spas in the evening to make better use of my daylight time.

Ubud Palace has too many bussed in tourists and many people are not aware there are several other programs in other village locations in Ubud...about 7 to 8 every night.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,934 posts
116 reviews
6. Re: Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

Regarding the monkey forest...my advice is always the same, go in the afternoon when the monkeys are more full so less naughty.

Do not feed them.

Keep everything zipped away as they steal.

If they jump on you, get up and walk, they will jump straight off, don't cower.

Its lovely in there but just be aware.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
296 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

Day 3 is extremely packed and you would need to split up this into 2 days or eliminate things for a next visit. Check out reviews for goa gahah again and see if it is worth going to. As far as Jatiluwih, you want to give yourself 1-2 hours to hike it and enjoy the beauty.

The waterfalls usually have a hike down as well which can take 30 minutes to an hour. I would suggest asking your driver and planning out your day.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 13:32
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
296 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

If you're going to Jatiluwih then skip the tegalagang Rice terraces.

Monkey Forest: keep everything in a book bag and don't hold water bottles in your hand. The monkeys love bottles we saw two people get bitten because they wouldn't give up their bottles.

For massage we thought putri spa was awesome but there are so many great options in ubud like Karsa spa and others. Putri spa usually provide drop off to the center or your hotel if it's in the center.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 13:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
147 reviews
9. Re: Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

Thanks everyone for the very helpful feedback. I did think I was being a bit ambitious and so based on your comments the revised rough plan is as follows:

Day 1:

Arrive at Sapodilla hotel - lunch first if the room is not ready

P.m. - Book Mount Batur hike

Pura Gunung Kawi & Tirta Empul

Early night for Mount Batur hike

Day 2:

Mount Batur hike – pick up at 02:00 a.m.

P.m. - Visit Monkey forest - no bag or water bottle!

Massage

Local dance show – possibly ARMA (not Ubud palace)

Day 3:

Jatiluwih Rice Terrace then Pura Luhur Batukau.

Bedugal and Munduk - I will discuss with my driver / hotel on thoughts on these two and what's best

Day 4:

Travel back to the airport

Less is more as they say in this case!

Thanks once again for your feedback.

John

London, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
147 reviews
10. Re: Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please

So just to update what I actually did in the end in case it’s helpful for anyone planning their trip:

Day 1:

Flight landed at 8.55 (domestic). Got to Ubud earlier than expected at just gone 10.30 (paid 350 IDR for taxi).

- Visited monkey forest followed by lunch.

- Booked mount Batur hike (350 IDR).

- Checked in at Sapodilla hotel.

- Visited Gunung Kawi then Tirta Empul.

- Massage and dinner.

- Early night 9 pm for Batur hike.

Day 2:

- Pick up from hotel at 02:15 a.m.

- Mount Batur hike and back to hotel for 09.30 a.m.

- Sleep, lunch then massage.

- torrential rain from about 4 pm until night time so just relaxed with dinner etc.

Day 3:

Hired a driver for 8 hours for 700 IDR which seemed to be the going rate now after haggling although he paid all car parking fees. I visited the following sites in just under 8 hours:

- Taman Ayun temple

- Puta Luhur Batukaru

- Jatiluwih rice terraces

- Ulun Danu Beratan temple and stops for views over the lake

- Munduk waterfalls.

Evening - went to a Balinese dance in Ubud palace (unfortunately I tried 2 other locations and they were not running probably being low season. And the evening before everything was cancelled because of the rain. However, it was still good to see).

A very few enjoyable days in Ubud!

Edited: 14 November 2018, 02:52
Reply to: Feedback on Ubud Itinerary please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted