We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

Hi guys, just returned from Bali with a friend and now planning a new trip with family. We stayed in Seminyak for a week so I'm now thinking of trying Canguu for 6 nights and then 4 nights in Sanur and 2 nights in Lembongan. Does this sound OK? Also, we went to Ubud for the day and I think I must have missed something because everyone seems to rave about it but we were underwhelmed. Liked the monkey forest but didn't like the markets (just loads of stalls all selling the same crap) and saw better rice fields thanTegallalangon on the quad bike tour we did. Is it just me??? Thanks everyone :)

33 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
15 posts
1. Re: Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

its just you

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

If you did a day trip to Ubud, it's a bet you spent much of your time in the dreadfully crowed downtown shopping block. Along with the other thousands of day trippers who think that's Ubud. As a regular visitor to Ubud, if I had to spend my time there, I'd also never go back. I guess it's been at least 10 trips, maybe more since I went anywhere near that part of the Ubud district.

Thankfully, most of us know that Ubud is a huge district with much to offer. And that is why we do not advocate just a day trip to Ubud.

Tegallelang Rice terraces are stunning, but as with all rice fields, it depends on the part of the growing season that you see them. If they are just harvested, being ploughed or fallow, they can be ugly. At other times they are lovely, but can get crowded for much of the day. I like to drive past before breakfast, maybe 7am when it's quiet there and the sunlight is nice and soft.

australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
3. Re: Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

Definitely just you. Lovers of Ubud base themselves there to explore both the culture and scenery which generally requires "touring" the area. Plenty of activities nearby. Within the "centre" there are lots of enjoyable opportunities. Excellent dining options. Excellent shopping. Excellent accommodation. I think it is unfair to use the word "crap" describing the market. Ubud market offers some items you don't see elsewhere. I shop in the wonderful fixed priced shops on offer in Ubud. For me, personally, I would never stay in Canggu.

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

Thanks for above replies, that's what I suspected, that I didn't get to see the best bits. So if I went back with the family and stayed in Ubud for a few days, where should I go? And I was thinking Canggu because we live on the Sunshine Coast and I have 2 teenagers who are desperate to do some shopping and go somewhere with a bit of life :) However, they also appreciate culture and different scenery and my son loves farming and animals.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

I think that you need to take a look at what you can do and see when staying in Ubud and plan whether you want to be in a more downtown area or one of the villages nearby.

Your 2 teens (as well as you parents) might enjoy such things as white water rafting, a downhill bike ride from the volcano, visiting elephants, the bird park, reptile park, zoo - including maybe having breakfast with orangutans. Then there's lots of dances each evening in Ubud, plus museums, art galleries & lots of temples. A trip to the north could include Treetops Adventure park among other things.

And if you are all fit and strong, you could also add on a sunrise trek to the top of Mt Batur.

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

So helpful, thank you, I'll look into all those things and maybe just avoid the main square in Ubud? Are there other markets in Ubud apart from the one opposite the palace?

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

Tuco?? Maybe don't bother replying unless you have something of value to add. You must have something better to do with your time :)

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

The best time to visit those markets is 6am, when they are a traditional morning market....so you can see where the locals buy their food. You could do that as an add on to a cooking school.

There is another market at Sukuwati. And night markets, including food at Gianyar. For wholesale homewares, Tegalleland Road is great. Around 8km of shops - you would have seen them on your way to the rice terraces.

fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

HI. Yes my teenage son loved the sunrise Mount Batur trek , cycling through the villages and this year we kayaked down the Ayung river which was hilarious!! What attracts you to Canguu?? Things are quite spread out, so not so easy to get around. The shopping I don’t think would be too cheap, lots of lovely stores but a bit exy. If you want to surf or have Instagram moments where you are sitting in a swing or eating in a teepee, it’s the place for you, otherwise I think it’s a bit overrated x

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud

Babycakes, can you tell me what areas you stayed in and what your itinerary was? x

Reply to: Canguu, Sanur and NL but not a fan of Ubud
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted