We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

S.W Wales
Level Contributor
249 posts
15 reviews
A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

Hi we will be styaing in Ubud while in bali for the first time in August and want to hire a driver and head out of Ubud for the day, we had hoped to leave ubud fairly early and do the following

Ubud to

Pod origin chocolcate place then onto

Jutiliwuh Rice terraces then onto

Ulun Danu Beratan Temple

return to UBud.

Ive googled mapped this and looks like about a little over 2 hours driving each way, do you think this is a good day trip or too much?

Are we missing some gems of places to stop/see/do?

Thanks in advance

10 replies to this topic
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,313 posts
128 reviews
1. Re: A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

There is so much to do in many places in Bali. What other places will you be staying in besides Ubud, if I may ask? (not trying to get personal, just wondering if you can do Jatiluwih and Bedugul, Munduk etc while you are perhaps transferring to somewhere in the north for example)

The better things to see even within Ubud district are best seen on day trips around, and having a driver will help you see these more comfortably, for example Tegallalang, Goa Gajah, Mask and Puppet museum, Neka Museum, and so forth.

But to answer your question directly yes it's fine, although I would do Pod on another day since it's so close by, use your full day out to see Bedugul and Temple in the Lake, Botanical Garden, Munduk and waterfalls, Jatiluwih and have time for hiking and other things if you want. There are several threads on this forum outlining many things you can do in that trip, and also of course everyone has their own likes. My favorite spot is the plant markets near the Botanical garden and spice market. I often go up one way and then a different way down so you see different parts of Bali,

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

Hi mangomonkey I wonder if ypu can help me? Would it be too much to go from ubud to the lake then munduk and rice terraces and finish at legian? You mention other posts on this - how can I access them? Thanks

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,313 posts
128 reviews
3. Re: A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

Yes it's fine. Bali has several lakes but you probably mean the twin lakes between Munduk and Bedugul, right? Yes, it's a classic day trip and you have time to see the Botanical gardens, spice market, etc. All the drivers know this by heart..when you meet the nice drivers who will approach you , just have a chat and talk to them about your interests and together you can put together whatever works for you. The trip can also double as your transfer south to Legian, no problem. Keep in mind that after he drops you in Legian he will have to deadhead back to Ubud, so try not to keep him out too late. Also if he is working for you through the lunch and dinner times you can give him 20,000 to 30,000 rupiah for each meal, unless for any reason you want to ask him if he is interested in joining you for meals. He could always demur, as they often want time to rest and eat food they prefer..eg spicy or a bowl of bakso, or whatever.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

Thank you MangoMunky, that answers my question perfectly, and is exactly what I want to do. I just wondered if it would be too much for the driver. Yes indeed, I will pay for meals and tip him after such an epic day (especially as he will need to head back to ubud after dropping us off).

S.W Wales
Level Contributor
249 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

Hi Mango, we are staying in Sanur, Ubud and Canggu so i thought Ubud would be the best base to see some of the places mentioned? Thanks for your help

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,313 posts
128 reviews
6. Re: A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

HI Silverteen: Yes, I think from Ubud is fine. I hope you are spending several days in Ubud as there is so much to see and do when you are based there. Enjoy your trip!

S.W Wales
Level Contributor
249 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

Yes we have 4 full days in Ubud, staying just south of monkey forest, we plan to have 3 days in the ubud area but take a day trip to see some more remote/real bali while up there.

thanks

S.W Wales
Level Contributor
249 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

After spending some more time looking at this day trip I think we would like to go early morning and start out journey toward Ulun danu Beratan temple, maybe stopping off at Tamala mumbul Sangeh and Air terjun batantang waterfalls? (or are there better ones?) Then spend some time at the lake and Munduk area (what shall we see/do here?) we head back and stop at Jutluwih rice paddies for some photos (and if time maybe the butterfly park).

We have 4 days in Ubud

Thanks

Orange County...
Level Contributor
781 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

Sounds like a wonderful day trip. I think you have plenty to keep you busy for the day. Enjoy!

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
35 reviews
10. Re: A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?

I have been to Ubud many times and never get tired of the place, it has a magical feel about it. There are always different places to see but l must admit l love the Tagalalang Rice Terraces. My driver usually takes me up and l walk back. The amount of shops along the road is absolutely mind boggling and their prices are ridiculous.

Also going to a lot of places to view in Bali has a small cover fee, maybe IDR 10 000 or 20 000 just make sure you have a lot of smaller notes with you as you can be sure they never have change. 😂🤣

Reply to: A day trip outside of ubud - is this feasible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted