We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scooter

halesowen
Level Contributor
35 posts
27 reviews
scooter

2 weeks today be on our way to bali!!!! any advice on hiring a scooter read differing reviews - i,e dont do it, be careful, fantastic experience!!! await to hear!!!

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: scooter

You mentioned 'differing reviews' so I guess you've already done a search here in TA? Then you'll know how often this has been debated and there's been so much said it that probably not much more could be said! You could happily spend hours looking through it all, and in the end its up to you.

Here's what I think, having ridden here for a few years in town/country/all weathers/times of day.

Motorbikes for hire here are almost always 110cc, and although they sometimes have flat footrests, they're not little putt-putts, they're motorbikes that can go way faster than the conditions realistically allow, and it really really can hurt/maim/kill to have an accident, which often happens. (though apparently slipping/falling in stairs or footpaths causes far more accidents to tourists)

You need to check your insurance to see if you'd be covered riding a bike. Most times you need a licence from your own country.

Do not drink any alcohol at all, not a sip, if you are riding a motorbike. Just don't. Nearly all my friends ride, as do almost all the dozens and dozens of visitor's I've had over the years. Some have had minor accidents, scratches or a sprain...but every bad accident I've heard has involved drinking. I know of four western people who have died here in accidents in the last few years plus a fool who fell into flooded rice fields and could have died had not a local heard him bellowing. All had been drinking, plus a woman and child killed near my house by a drunk tourist.

There's no margin for error on a bike, so check that hired bike over like you were going to buy it cos it's probably been dropped by some other tourist already and may have shonky steering, floppy mirrors, bald tires, squishy brakes etc.

Get a bike that suits your size. Mios are rubbish, plus too low and light, don't hire one. Varios are a good all purpose bike, Nuevos are better if you're a big person so the centre of gravity stays lower.

If you ride, it is best to do it as a meditation. Total awareness and focus, never getting distracted by inner conversation, emotions like excitement, anger, wow this is fun, I'm late etcetcetc, the songs in your head etc.

Riding a bike is incomparably the best way to get around for many reasons. If you've ridden in India, Vietnam etc ( or like me, rode a bicycle in London for years) you won't actually find it that hard to manage here.Road conditions can change quickly, 99% of the 'road rules', apart from a general tendency to drive on the left side, is communication/eye contact, everyone getting through situations as smoothly as possible. Don't bother thinking or telling people how they 'should' drive etc. Just get through as smoothly as possible, get to your destination safely, say your prayers of gratitude.

Good luck.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: scooter

Unless you are an experienced rider then please dont do it. I drive everyday on Bali roads (in a car, gave up the motorbike in 2009 due to 3000 deaths in a 12 month period from motorbike accidents in Bali), I often see inexperienced riders almost wobbling off the bike in traffic, doing really silly things that experienced riders would never do. It's not something fun to do, its a mode of transport and should be respected as such. By the way the death toll just reached 13 per day in Bali for motor vehicle accidents.

3. Re: scooter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 November 2011, 18:05
4. Re: scooter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2012, 15:59
Get answers to your questions about Sanur
Recent Conversations