We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Massage in Kuta

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Massage in Kuta

So my wife and I basically had a routine of getting up, breakfast, surf, and then massage before a late lunch, so we were trying different massage places around town.

First of all, we were kindof bummed to find that almost all the massage salons were not of the type of "Spa" were had hoped for. We live in China where there are endless little junky massage shacks, but also a lot of nicer spas with good ambience, private rooms, nice music and decor, etc. Many of those nicer ones are staffed by BAlinese or JAvanese masseuses, so our expectations were high. We were, however, disappointed. Most of the Bali massage parlors you'll find around Kuta are of the little shack kind. Basically an aluminum sliding door, 4-5 massage beds in a row with a a curtain drawn between them. Ceilings, walls, floors are generally just normal flat paint, bathroom tile, or bare ceiling. Pretty basic stuff. And pretty disappointing.

Anyway....as reported, the average price is around 50,000 rupiah for a 60-minute Balinese massage. The massage quality is decent - - not great, but not total amateur hour either. So, for the price, it was still worthwhile. And, I totally admit that there are probably loads of proper Spas out there, but they didn't seems to be around Poppies 1, Poppies 2, Legian Street, or JL Raya Pantai Kuta (where we spent most of our time.) On those busy central streets we saw (and visited) pretty much junky massage shacks.

Probably the best low-end place we went to was also recommended from another post by PerthLovetotravel. It is a tiny place on Singosari called Dayu Salon. It's across from Dayu I restaurant. Dayu is a common name, and incidentally they Spa owner (a lady named Dayu) and the restaurant owner are not related...haha. Anyhoo, Dayu was pretty good. They had a slightly nicer interior, played some music, and truly gave a better quality massage, and she made us both a coffee at the end. The massage was 60K and we felt very worth it. On top of everything, the woman was a sweetheart and we really liked her. She had her infant daughter in the shop at the same time and she was the cutest. We told Dayu that she was referenced on TripAdvisor and that's how we found her and she was shocked, excited, and a little giddy. She's a sweet lady with fantastic hands. I highly recommend her shop if you're in that low-end market. Basically all the other 50K shops were pretty average and I wouldn't say anything very positive about any of them. They'll suffice if you're hard up for a rub-down, but not what you'd want to seek out for real comfort. Go to Dayu, you'll be thankful that you made the trip.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Massage in Kuta

Thankyou for that, I am heading over there with partner in a week, can't wait to check it out.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Massage in Kuta

I am very pleased that you were happy with Dayu.

She managed top end places in Seminyak before opening her own salon.

She is one of the best massuers in my opinion....and a lovely person.

Her little daughter is beautiful isn't she.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Massage in Kuta

Thanks for this, its exactly what I was going to ask for and have been looking for on this forum - don't you love it when we are all on the same wavelength?

Just to clarify the location - you come off the beach into the Kuta markets, that's Singosari lane. Down a bit. Opposite the Dayu I restaurant.

I don't recall seeing the restaurant last time I was there. So looking forward to a good massage.

4. Re: Massage in Kuta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 13:51
Get answers to your questions about Kuta