We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

NYC
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

My fiance and I are looking into going to Bali for our honeymoon in July of 2012. When I search for July airfares, the lowest I find is about $2500 r/t per person. I was wondering if anyone knows what is considered a "good deal" for airfare from NYC to Bali in July? I just want to be prepared to jump on a good deal if I find one. :)

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Bali Full-Day Traditional Village...
243 Reviews
from US$ 40.00*
Free Cancellation
Mount Batur Sunrise Hiking and Coffee...
63 Reviews
from US$ 40.00*
Free Cancellation
Mount Batur Volcano—Sunrise Trekking...
99 Reviews
from US$ 57.00*
Free Cancellation
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,326 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

Someone was asking the price from Toronto to Bali last week. It seemed that he could get it for $1500 return pp. It sounds too cheap to me, and I reckon about $2000 is a good price.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

Have a look at flying via Korea or Australia,

Sometimes going via Amsterdam can offer a good price.

Washington DC...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

We're headed to Bali in August 2011 from New York. We've booked tickets on Cathay Pacific, with a brief stop-over in Hong Kong. I think we paid about $1550 return pp.

We definitely spent a lot of time trying to find a deal (which I think we did), but ultimately we purchased our tickets in March (about 5 months in advance). Obviously, it's impossible to predict ticket prices, but my advice would be to wait a few more months, as prices may go down. (Based on my research, $2500 is way too high, while $2,000 is not uncommon but still a little high. I think you could find something in the $1500-$1600 range.) Flying through Seoul or Hong Kong seem to be the cheapest option. Also, check out Qatar Airways - the flight is a bit longer, but sometimes they have decent deals.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
NYC
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

Wow, thank you for all the great suggestions, I will look into all of them!

J_hurcules, going via Amsterdam would be amazing, I didn't even consider than an option. My fiance and I got together on a trip to Amsterdam and Paris, so it would be so much fun to return there on our honeymoon, back to where it all began! :)

Jmyers, thanks so much for sharing the deal you found, it's really encouraging to hear that there are better prices out there. And being able to spend that much less may make the difference in our decision of whether we can afford to go or not.

Arizona
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

As you probably know NYC to Bali is a VERY long trip. I am headed to Bali 1 week from tomorrow from Arizona, woo hoo! I was fortunate enough to use ff miles but another couple that is going with us is traveling from Denver. I watched ticket prices for almost a year from Denver. They ranged from $1500 to $2500. They ultimately booked about 2.5 months prior to departing and paid $1750. I thought they booked too early but to my surprise they kept climbing as they got closer. Thus, based upon my experience and the extra distance I would say that $1500 would be an amazing deal.

I would also start watching flights out of LAX or SFO. They are the easiest the find good deals to SE asia. You should be able to find $1200 or so from LAX. As flying across the US is still relatively cheap I would imagine that if done right you could pay $1500-1600 all in. Good luck!!!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
NYC
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

Thanks for the tip on watching flights out of LAX and SFO, kad1979! Yes unfortunately I'm aware of how long a trip it is- but still not as bad as some trips! I have also been looking into Samoa as perhaps a more affordable option, and the trips varied from about 30-48 hours! The plus there is it made me think the approximately 24-hour trip to Bali isn't THAT bad ;)

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

With Amsterdam both KLM and Garuda sometimes offer a good fare. Malaysian also operate the route hubbing through KL in Malaysia. KLM come in via Singapore. The mid east airlines are a good option and are good to fly with. Have a look at Qatar or Gulf airlines. Garuda also fly new aircraft from Dubai as part of the route to Amsterdam. I note that GA (Garuda) currently have a US$980 promo AMS-CGK-AMS.

Also checkout the Air AsiaX tickets from Paris To KL. Sometimes they are a very good price, especially if you get a 'promo' fare. So if you can find a cheap ticket to Paris that could be of interest as well. Air AsiaX are a long distance LCC (Low Cost Carrier).

Getting from KL to Bali is easy and inexpensive with Air Asia or other alternatives.

You could also look at one of the cheaper trans pacific tickets to Australia , maybe check out V Australia as they are a good airline, and then travel on to Bali with one of the low cost carriers Jetstar, Virgin Australia or Strategic Airlines which is LCC price but operate as full service.

Last time I looked in detail myself the cheapest option was via Seoul but of course things change all the time.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
NYC
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

thank you so much for all the info j_hurcules, you've given me a lot of great options to look into!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
499 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

Check out EVA air.Right now they have a special from Seattle for $1100RT.So with an add on fare from NY you could get it down to $1400 or so

It is a sweet flight-only a short stopover in taipei before arriving in Denpasar

I just got back but am mulling over returning in Jan .I paid almost $1500 my last time

Mentioned in this post
Denpasar
Denpasar
Bali, Indonesia
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good airfare prices from NYC to Bali?

Flying from NYC to Bali in July. Using Korea Air via Seoul. Total round trip around $1625.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia