We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa payment on arrival

Cabarita Beach...
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Visa payment on arrival

Hi

Read somewhere that is was handy to have the visa payment in US dollars to speed up the process... would it be just as good to have the correct Rupiah?

Thanks

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa payment on arrival

it's quite acceptable to have it in rupiah and you can use any change for a taxi.

However they often dupe your change by making their own rate....so you may loose a few dollars.

Would only be a few dollars though.

It costs nothing in fees to buy US dollars at alot of places including the post office.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa payment on arrival

if you have the rupiah from previous trips then you could use this but IF you are getting your money changed to rupiah before you leave you will be doing yourself out of some $'s. it is best to exchange your money when you are in bali.

IF you work out how much it would cost in rupiah to pay the visa you may be surprised to see that they come up with a different amount. They calculate the exchange rate on ANY currency presented to pay the VOA.

we have a top question about bali which covers information on the visa system. you can read this and other useful information on the bali forum home page.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa payment on arrival

Airports have a currency exchange before you board your flight. It seems almost everyone is converting money for their USD 25 at this stage. It makes it much easier to have the correct payment.

Cabarita Beach...
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa payment on arrival

Thanks everyone for your help

victoria
Level Contributor
126 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa payment on arrival

I am an Auzzie travelling to Bali for the first time and a little confused about the whole visa process. we are only staying for 10 days. do we still need to apply for a visa and can it be obtained on arrival at the airport? I think it is best to pay in USD but even not sure about that.

Any feedback?

regareds

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa payment on arrival

Yes Blazert, you need a visa for a 10 day stay, $25.00 each in US dollars is preferred and quickest. You also need 150,000 in rupiah each for your exit visa. I usually put the amounts in separate envelopes and keep them with my passports, then you know you have it when you need it.

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa payment on arrival

And Blazert, you don't need to apply for the visa before you go. It's called a Visa on Arrival as the whole process is done at the arrival airport. you go to a booth at the back of the arrivals hall, pay for a voucher and then wait in the sometimes very long queues to present it to immigration, where you are stamped in. Yes $US is best for the reasons written in this thread.

victoria
Level Contributor
126 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa payment on arrival

Hi BrisbanyLizzy and newgabe. This is fantastic feedback. All I need to know in 2 posts. I really apreciate your assistance. The Embassy here in Auz was trying to get me to apply before we leave which would take more time and cost more. thanks heaps

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa payment on arrival

We are flying to Denpasar in 2 days, from Yogyakarta. Since we are already in Indonesia, are we OK with the entry visa we purchased when entering Java (Jakarta), or will Bali require a new one? Thanks for just clarifying.

Mentioned in this post
Denpasar
Denpasar
Bali, Indonesia
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Java
Java
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa payment on arrival

Bali is definitely part of Indonesia, and you will not need an additional visa to travel from Java to here. Also, you will be arriving at the domestic terminal of the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Java
Java
Indonesia